Bone Loss - Density

Posted by: chatty lady

Bone Loss - Density - 06/26/04 01:16 AM

I recently came across some information on Bone Loss before, during and after Menopause which is posted under Menopause for your information.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Bone Loss - Density - 06/27/04 03:11 PM

Thanks chatty. Heading there to check it out. [Wink]
Posted by: Thistle Cove Farm

Re: Bone Loss - Density - 06/30/04 04:08 AM

I am SO blessed! I took a bone density test and was told I've got the bone density about the same as an 18 year old girl. Don't tell me drinking a half gallon of milk a day doesn't help. Now if I could just get down to 1% but I'll have to be dragged kicking and screaming and tied down to drink blue john...NO WAY!
Posted by: smilinize

Re: Bone Loss - Density - 06/30/04 04:18 AM

The activities that affect osteo porosis are weight bearing exercise like all the walking and lifting you do. Another factor is a little fat on your body. The fat on your body also affects estrogesterone levels which also affect bone porosity as in osteoporosis.

Jus a thought.
smile

Re: Bone Loss - Density - 07/05/04 04:00 PM

At what age did you all have your bone density tests done? I haven't had one yet.
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Bone Loss - Density - 07/05/04 04:18 PM

Haven't had one...should I?

JJ

Re: Bone Loss - Density - 07/06/04 02:22 AM

They say thinner women have less bone density than heavier women. This is one of those times being fatter is a plus... [Smile]

I haven't had the test yet either but am told its totally painless. Every book I've read says to have yourself tested around 45/50 years old. Hey, it can't hurt right! [Wink]

Re: Bone Loss - Density - 07/06/04 06:34 PM

Okay, I'll add that test when I see my doctor next. It sounds like it's time. I've heard it's good to have a baseline for future reference.
Posted by: Toni

Re: Bone Loss - Density - 07/07/04 06:00 PM

Had my first bone density test at the age (50+.) Was told I was in great shape. I've always exercised, taken a Calcium 600+ tablet, ate a lot of salads and made sure my estrogen level was good.

It seems like exercise and the right amount of calcium are key factors...

Re: Bone Loss - Density - 07/08/04 05:02 AM

I read an article today that 4 to 6 teaspoons of fresh ground flax spread out daily are also an excellent source for strong bones. Toni what you stated is absolutely correct as well.
Posted by: DJ

Re: Bone Loss - Density - 07/08/04 04:15 PM

Don't be so sure about the calcium. I've been taking it since my 20s but my spinal bone scan wasn't that great.
If you're not absorbing the calcium, it won't matter how much you take.
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Bone Loss - Density - 07/08/04 05:15 PM

DJ--good point. Wonder what would make someone's body absorb the calcium while someone else's body doesn't? Any ideas girls?

JJ
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Bone Loss - Density - 07/09/04 02:05 AM

I too have been taking calcium, eating well and exercizing regularly. Unfortunately, I also have a fair amount of bone loss in my spine. I think some of this is genetics.
Posted by: Agate

Re: Bone Loss - Density - 07/09/04 06:53 AM

I wrote about this under the menopause stuff somewhere but if you didn't see it there, here I go again.

I've been thin most of my life and I agree with Meredith and others that genetics and weight have a lot to do with bone loss. I always figured I'm on my feet a lot and running up and down stairs and walking, yet I've got bone loss in my spine. I also hit menopause at age 45 which seems to happen more to thinner women. I also don't eat very well, generally eating sweets and drinking coffee and cutting out the "real food" to not gain too much weight.

So I'm taking Actonel (maybe same thing as Fosamax?) and my doctor says I need to walk more and start eating better, which is tough to do when I'm stressed out, which is most of the time.
Posted by: Agate

Re: Bone Loss - Density - 07/10/04 06:25 AM

Nope, no dark circles. There's just a real big difference in how I feel about myself and about the world depending on how well I'm eating. When I eat right I have more energy, feel more confident, feel more positive about life, feel sexier. Geeze, you'd think I'd eat right all the time!
Posted by: smilinize

Re: Bone Loss - Density - 07/10/04 06:53 AM

Utilization of calcium is affected by vitamin D, magnesium, and phosphorus levels. Also by the way in which the calcium is dispensed (i.e. pills, capsules, etc.) Also estrogen affects the level and utilization of calcium in the body. That is why we get osteoporosis at mid life girls.

Bone density is increased by weight bearing exercises.

[ July 09, 2004, 11:54 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]
Posted by: Thistle Cove Farm

Re: Bone Loss - Density - 07/12/04 07:17 AM

Don't take calcium and vitamin C together...the cancel each other. Also, there's a type of citamin C that will be absorbed into the body and another type that won't. Can't remember what it's called though. drats.