I am learning very quickly what it's like to be in the sandwich generation. Today my mother, who is 73, had knee replacement surgery in Nebraska as I was on my way home from work here in Kansas. My daughter needs a babysitter for her children tomorrow while she works an evening shift at the hospital. I feel torn between wanting to help my daughter, and needing to be with my mother. Mama told me a couple of weeks ago, when she announced the date and time of her surgery, that she didn't want us to bother with coming up there to visit her, but she really had no realistic ideas about what the surgery involved or how long she would be in the hospital.
After watching the instructional video the doctor had sent home with her, she realized that maybe I knew what I was talking about when I said there was no way she could have the surgery one day and come home the next day. She is worried about my dad being at home alone. He will be 80 years old later this month and has been fighting prostate cancer and hypertension. He has never cooked anything in his life, and will eat only cold cereal and sandwiches while she is laid up unless someone is there to cook for him.
My brother and his wife live just a short distance away from my parents on the old homestead, but they both have full time jobs and 2 children to care for. My sister lives in Nebraska. My youngest brother works full time as a mechanic about 20 miles away. I live about a 45 minute drive from my parents and work nights.
Anyone have any suggestions?