The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 156 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#84127 - 07/31/06 04:30 AM How to tell the competition to "bug off"!
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Granted,I am not the only soaper at our Farmer's/Craft Market, but there is this older gentleman (about 15 years old) and his wife who are soapers.

HE comes by now and then asking me questions like: Do you sell on the website? Or "Hmmm, nice gift boxes!" etc. He's even asked me about formulations etc and I just played dumb. He just said, "Well, I guess we don't talk the same language". I don't WANT TO!!!

I'm "too nice" to not answer him but I just don't WANT to next time. I never go around other soaper's booths. I am confident about my products and I do not need to snoop around.

What can I say to this guy?? (Note: When someone does this, I feel they are insecure and are nervous that I am taking away business!)

#84128 - 07/31/06 09:33 AM Re: How to tell the competition to "bug off"! [Re: Di]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Sounds like the competition is looking for new ideas. I can understand that that can get on your nerves, but the kid is only 15 (really, he has a wife?), and probably doesn't know any better. Next time he asks about a soap furmula, give him a poisen ivy one. He should take the hint. Your homepage looks inviting.Do you ship outside of the states? What would you reccomend for dry skin?

#84129 - 07/31/06 12:16 PM Re: How to tell the competition to "bug off"! [Re: Edelweiss]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Oops! I mean 15 years oldER!! LOL!!!!

#84130 - 07/31/06 02:41 PM Re: How to tell the competition to "bug off"! [Re: Di]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
One of the first things that a good sales program will tell you is to sniff out the competition and see what they are doing. If they are successful, emulate.

Sounds like to me he believes you to be succesful and worth checking out. I would have a "canned" answer to give because I believe this will happen to you more than once. Why not try something like, "Oh gosh, you really don't expect me to give away Mamma's 100 year old secrets for making soap, do you?" And laugh...if he is stupid enough to say "yes, I do," THEN say, "Well gee, I sure hope it doesn't hurt you to WANT."

People who do this kind of thing are trying to get an edge. Don't hand it over to him. Just smile ...

JJ

#84131 - 07/31/06 09:05 PM Re: How to tell the competition to "bug off"! [Re: jawjaw]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I think you should consider his questions as a compliment. My hub is an executive and he and his "posse" are always checking out other companies. Now, they don't ask the president any questions.

I'm with JJ--tease him out of his nosey questions. When I had my DQ I had a guy who owned a neighboring store and he was always trying to find out how much my store grossed. I mean...why? Who cares? And, that's how I answered his questions.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#84132 - 08/01/06 12:42 AM Re: How to tell the competition to "bug off"! [Re: Dianne]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Any one with any sense will go to sniff out the competition that seems to have a superior product, packaging etc., Its good business but you have to draw the line when they get too personal. If he asks you for your formula or any other secrets, just say "well you know, time is money so get out your check book" and when he says "what for?" Just say you put a high price on your secrets. Watch him retreat and never ask stupid questions again....

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#84133 - 08/01/06 05:28 AM Re: How to tell the competition to "bug off"! [Re: chatty lady]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
If he had said, "I use such-and-such ingredient. Do you like it as well?" I'd say he was trying to be friendly. But since he asked you what you used without offereing you info, then he's trying to find out your trade secrets.

I talk to other jewelers all the time. I'm not jealous, and figure that anyone who's any good has their own style (or ingredients.)

Poet and essayist

#84134 - 08/02/06 10:12 AM Re: How to tell the competition to "bug off"! [Re: meredithbead]
positiveliving Offline

Loc: Wiltshire, UK
I would be flattered by his interest in what you do but don't give all your secrets away. He sees you as a serious contender for his business.

I tend to apply humour to situations like this or simply change the subject if I am truly not comforable with it.

'because life is not about the challenge' ?
www.positivelivingprogramme.com

#84135 - 08/03/06 05:13 PM Re: How to tell the competition to "bug off"! [Re: Di]
KathleenGageSpeaker Offline

Loc: Pleasant Hill, OR
I often advise my clients to know what the competition is doing. The more successful one becomes the more others do want to know the "secrets."

Sounds like success is on your side.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved