The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 124 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#86623 - 08/29/06 01:42 PM The Next Fifty Years, by Pamela Blair, PH.D.
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Pamela will be our Featured Author during the month of September. Her book is The Next Fifty Years: A Guide for Women at Midlife. Please check back on September 1, 2006 to learn more and join in the conversation.

#86624 - 08/29/06 02:58 PM Re: The Next Fifty Years, by Pamela Blair, PH.D.
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
In talking with Dr. Blair, or Pamela, she offered more of her life AND the book by giving us "Her Story." Please read the following and you'll immediately see why we're very excited about having her join us for September.

In her own words ...

Riding back from the library on a beautiful late March afternoon, feeling the beginnings of spring, I was met head-on at a stop light by a speeding, out of control four wheel drive, teenage-driven vehicle--just one week after I had signed the contract for my first book (I Wasn't Ready to Say Goodbye)...

The impact of the speeding vehicle caused me to experience extreme whiplash. I was immediately disoriented and dizzy ... One minute I was a newly-contracted, soon-to-be-author, gainfully employed psychotherapist and part-time consultant----the next minute I was suffering a traumatic closed-head brain injury.

One day I was in control of my life and doing for myself, the next day I was dependent on others to make decisions for me, to drive for me, to think logically for me, to help me walk straight and find words, to guide me from room to room when I got lost in my own house. Excerpt from The Next Fifty Years: A Guide for Women at Midlife and Beyond (Hampton Roads, October 2005).

For most of the first year of recovery after the accident, I felt and behaved like I was 80 years old, or more. My daily schedule was suddenly different now, life was going slower than I could have ever imagined -- taking on its own composition, its own movement.

I had to walk with a cane so I wouldn't bang into walls or fall down stairs. I couldn't drive for almost two years because my eyesight and reaction time was compromised and my hearing altered. My neuropsychologist said this was normal. Not for ME it wasn't! I was a hustler, a juggler of many balls in the air. Now I was having trouble recalling how to make toast and remembering the word for milk (I called it "white stuff").

Now I was taking a shower only to forget which comes first, shampoo or conditioner. Did I remember to wash all my parts and rinse off?

It's now eight years since the accident and a lot of healing has taken place. However, I will never forget what I learned from my experience. Living the life of an "80 year old" wasn't so bad and I'm no longer afraid of aging the way I used to be.

When I was forced to cut back on so many of my former activities, I found myself with more time to work on my writing, to sit in the garden, to read for short periods, to be with my grandson and children in ways I'd never had time for in the past. As a 50-year old, 85-year old, I gave up my youthful urgency to control every outcome and every situation. I was finally free to throw myself without conflict, into whatever mattered most. I was deepening, digging into new soil, accessing "new brain", trying on another self, becoming a me I had not known before... and looking forward to the next fifty years.

Pamela D. Blair, Ph.D.
Author, Psychotherapist,
Spiritual Counselor,
Life Coach

#86625 - 08/29/06 09:51 PM Re: The Next Fifty Years, by Pamela Blair, PH.D. [Re: jawjaw]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Great excerpt. Can't wait to hear more. What an inspirational story.
Ann

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#86626 - 08/29/06 10:50 PM Re: The Next Fifty Years, by Pamela Blair, PH.D. [Re: Anno]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Wow, talk about eye opening JJ...We never know whats in store for us around the corner. I admire those so strong that they can overcome adversity so bravely...I will definitely read this book.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#86627 - 08/29/06 11:58 PM Re: The Next Fifty Years, by Pamela Blair, PH.D. [Re: chatty lady]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I think the time she'll spend here will be rewarding for all of us no matter what situation we're in. I can't wait to hear more about her life path. You are so right Chatty, in the blink of an eye it can all change!

JJ

#86628 - 08/30/06 06:09 PM Re: The Next Fifty Years, by Pamela Blair, PH.D. [Re: jawjaw]
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
What a reminder to live life to the fullest and don't put off things until tomorrow. "Someday" is now!
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog

#86629 - 08/30/06 07:02 PM Re: The Next Fifty Years, by Pamela Blair, PH.D. [Re: Vicki M. Taylor]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Pamela sounds like an amazing woman and a role model for all of us.

#86630 - 08/30/06 07:09 PM Re: The Next Fifty Years, by Pamela Blair, PH.D. [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Wow! Her story reinforces the value of living for today. It just brings to mind how yesterday becomes redundant, tomorrow is non-existent and today a gift. Maybe that is why it is called "present". I eagerly await 1st September.

#86631 - 08/30/06 07:40 PM Re: The Next Fifty Years, by Pamela Blair, PH.D. [Re: Lola]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Incredible lady. Can't wait to hear more!

#86632 - 09/07/06 04:05 PM Re: The Next Fifty Years, by Pamela Blair, PH.D. [Re: Edelweiss]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Ladies, typically Featured Authors begin the first of the month. Sorry about this. We are having trouble tracking Pam down so we can get started. Hang in there. She'll be great once she gets here.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved