The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 127 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#220316 - 07/26/14 03:12 AM Who's Into Thrift Shopping?
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Earlier today I posted an article on the NABBW site by Barb Tobias, our Thrift Shopping Associate.

Barb has made a lifestyle of thrifting -- something she originally did because she needed to. Now she does it because she knows it's a fantastic way to furnish her home and her wardrobe, without spending a lot of money.

Plus, she knows how to sell any of her "mistakes" at her amazing annual "Diva Sales."

I've never been to good at garage saling or shopping at thrift stores, although one of my sister-in-law does well at this, too.

After reading Barb's latest post, in which she details what she bought -- many items totally new with tags on them -- and shows list price vs. the price she paid (it was half off day) I just had to share her post here.

Anyone else into this type of amazing savings?
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#220317 - 07/26/14 02:27 PM Re: Who's Into Thrift Shopping? [Re: Anne Holmes]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
Most of our furniture came from Thrift Stores and when I was working, I regularly made the rounds of Thrift and Consignment Stores to replenish my wardrobe. I usually had a closet full of designer labels for which I paid hardly anything. I could buy a whole new closet full of clothes, including shoes, purses, and jewelry, and spend less than $100. Of course, I don't go much now that I'm retired as I don't need as many clothes.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#220318 - 07/27/14 12:55 AM Re: Who's Into Thrift Shopping? [Re: yonuh]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Me, me!! LOVE thrift shopping.

Funny though. Before moving to NM from NJ in 1987, you'd NEVER find me in a thrift store. A friend, in a town called Truth or Consequences, introduced me to the Pilot Club, the Hospital Auxiliary etc.

I'm hooked now!

#220319 - 07/30/14 03:02 AM Re: Who's Into Thrift Shopping? [Re: Di]
Boomer in Chief

That is so cool! It sounds like many of us are or have learned to appreciate the values to be found in a thrift store, but we learned to appreciate them as we became more mature.

Want to share a story of a favorite find?
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#220321 - 07/30/14 03:42 AM Re: Who's Into Thrift Shopping? [Re: Anne Holmes]
Di Offline

Purses, purses, purses!

I only use a certain kind. Since I no longer use wallets (tend to leave them places) I only buy ones that have a compartment that can house my cards/cash/licenses etc.

Denim jumpers....LOVE THEM! I have a friend/fellow vendor who embellishes them with southwest designs.....

All of my summer outfits come from thrift stores. Saver's is my fav and family knows to get me GC's from there!

#220322 - 07/31/14 12:44 AM Re: Who's Into Thrift Shopping? [Re: Di]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
A Prada wallet for $10. It's probably a knockoff, but it has the crest and name, and the interior material looks real, so who knows?
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#220323 - 07/31/14 03:07 AM Re: Who's Into Thrift Shopping? [Re: yonuh]
Di Offline

I saw a Prada purse but did not like the color/style. Was about $6 but did not buy it...a brand name is not as important as the style!!

#220325 - 08/01/14 01:49 AM Re: Who's Into Thrift Shopping? [Re: Di]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Well, no I don't shop at consignment stores. That's just me. (I think it's because I was raised in a poor family. And people got hand-me-downs. We sewed alot of our own clothing. )However I buy a blend of tailored clothing plus clothing at lower prices.

I work full-time for govn't in an office with men and women. But I don't meet members of the public. Hence, it's business casual. How I dress now is far more casual than a decade ago. The older I get,I stick to solid colours, clean lines but spruce up with a scarf ...or just well cut pants or skirt.

Yea,sure I've worn solid coloured tshirts with pants to work. The thing is to make sure one is healthy and has a reasonable hair cut. Or go to a wedding, wearing a skirt discounted down to $40.00. It just depends how you wear the skirt with other stuff.

I actually avoid buying knick knacks and hope that no one gives me any! I really don't need the stuff.

#220327 - 08/01/14 04:09 PM Re: Who's Into Thrift Shopping? [Re: orchid]
Di Offline

Originally Posted By: orchid

I actually avoid buying knick knacks and hope that no one gives me any! I really don't need the stuff.

Agreed! That's a line I use in our business..."Get them something functional. Nobody wants more stuff"!

#220328 - 08/01/14 06:33 PM Re: Who's Into Thrift Shopping? [Re: Di]
Boomer in Chief

I totally agree, ladies. Once upon a time my mother and grandmother changed their household decor/knick knacks to coordinate with the season: Dining table centerpiece and placemats, living room fireplace mantle arrangements, front door decor, etc.

I have to confess there is a small wreath on my front door which contains a snowman with a sled. I put it up last winter when I took down the holiday wreath, but I haven't remembered to change it since then. And the dried flower arrangement in my living room has been there for at least 6 years.

So my thrift shopping is more related to common everyday stuff.

Though I confess, a few months ago I did spend $2 on a large serving platter that matches some lovely gold rimmed dessert plates I inherited from one of my grandmothers. These are fine Bavarian bone china, and I used to love eating dessert on them as a child.

I haven't served dessert on them in all the years I've had them, if memory serves. But hey, the price was right, and now the set feels more complete to me.

Guess I'll have to commit to using them at least once. Maybe I'll have a little dessert party some day, just to use my plates...
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved