The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 179 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#71893 - 05/09/06 08:12 PM money for kids
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Both of my high school seniors work and are very good about spending their own money. Of course, it's never enough so we are always adding to their pot.

Phew...this prom season is so expensive. We just wrote checks for prom tickets, rented a tux, bought a prom gown, and ordered the flowers. We have two proms this weekend. Already had two others.

Did or do you pay for these expenses for your kids?

[ May 09, 2006, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]

#71894 - 05/10/06 03:36 AM Re: money for kids
downdog Offline

Loc: kansas
Dotsie, it's me again. We kinda seem to be on the same page, having kids the same age, doing the same thing right now. I think I spoiled my kids too much, paid for most of the stuff like proms, but kept some sort of a limit, said I'd give them so much and the rest was up to them. Same concept as "adding to their pot". I guess I always felt school was sort of "work" for my girls and if I could help them out I do/did. They do work, but it's not enough for much more than gas these days.

#71895 - 05/13/06 10:49 PM Re: money for kids
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
downdog, yup - similar lives. What fun.

My oldest only worked summers and we really did give him more money than the younger two. That's because he played high school sports year round. The younger two have worked all year. My daughter works weekends and my son has an internship during the week and gets paid for that. It has been nice knowing they have some of their own spending money.

Next year's another story. Three in college... We knew this day was coming. H E L P.

[Eek!] [Eek!]

#71896 - 05/16/06 02:39 AM Re: money for kids
AvalonBlondi Offline

Loc: West Chester ,PA
I paid for some things when my kids went to proms..I bought the tix...rented the tuxes and paid for the gowns and flowers...the things i balked at were...limosines...and hair ...when my oldest daughter went to her first prom...she went and had her done in an updo...which cost $70...her date picked her up at 6:30pm and she was back home at 11:15 changing out of her gown and into sweats for the post prom...when I saw her $70 hairstyle brushed out after only 5 or 6 hours I decided that in the future they could either do their hair at home or pay for it themselves...all 3 of my daughters decided they never liked it when someone else did it anyway...not to mention the fact they didn't want to part with their own money for something like that...I don't regret it...and each of them always looked beautiful on prom night...sans the pricey updo... [Smile]

#71897 - 05/16/06 02:41 AM Re: money for kids
AvalonBlondi Offline

Loc: West Chester ,PA
Dotsie...I feel for you...this was the first time in 9 years that I didn't have at least 2 in college at the same time...I really don't know how we got through it!!!!

#71898 - 05/16/06 09:48 AM Re: money for kids
downdog Offline

Loc: kansas
Avalon, I hear ya. I did it too. At least toes and nails last a little while, but hair, you're right, gone in a few hours. They do think twice about it when they are paying for it. Makes them more reasonable about all those "extras".

Dotsie, 3 in college, good luck. I have two there now. I think I'll be rich (ha, ha) when they are finally on their own.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved