The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 154 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#71773 - 08/25/05 07:47 AM money for college kids?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Do you have kids in college? If so, do you give them speding money each month? If so, mind telling how much?

There seem to be so many expenses when you have children in college. We have struggled with what we should give and what he should use of his own. The reality is that this time next year we'll be forking money over to three college students. I can't imagine! It's like paying for one home and three apartments. Egads!

I got a call from him yesterday saying that their storage room flooded over the summer. All his baseball "stuff" was ruined, covered in mold and stinking to high heaven. Apartment rent? We didn't purchase that. OOPS! I think we're responsible. [Eek!] Live and learn.

[ August 24, 2005, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]

#71774 - 08/25/05 04:48 AM Re: money for college kids?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Why don't these (kids) young adults get part time jobs and earn some of the money they need, at least their spending money. I assume they are all in good health? I mean all these college kids not only yours... [Roll Eyes]

#71775 - 08/25/05 09:30 AM Re: money for college kids?
Maggie Offline

Loc: Oregon
Chatty,
Good point. I would reply to more posts but I feel like I flit in and out of here when I can. I do enjoy yours though. Ours did have a part time job and part time school. It helped us and we help when we can. Now he's a full time student trying to get into the Work Study program.
Dotsie we don't have a set limit unfortunately.
Can you believe the cost of just textbooks?
Maggie

#71776 - 08/25/05 09:49 AM Re: money for college kids?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Dotsie, imagine, if you will/can, a single parent, single income??? I have two in college now. Fortunately, my son has been such an 'first letter of the alphabet + hole that' that I don't feel bad. Since he 'knows' it all, I let him and take pleasure in reminding him that he 'knows-it-all' and to find it the best way he can. Recall, this is the son (the only one too) that said his beloved father did everything for him. HA! Let us put this into practice!

My daughter, on the other hand, I would get her established for the first semester, maybe even the second but will make it clear to her that the extracuriculars have limitations and that she shall work to save her money come summer 'paid' internships. [Smile]

Just my two cents, and agreeing with Chatty as well.

[ August 25, 2005, 02:51 AM: Message edited by: Sugaree ]

#71777 - 08/25/05 06:48 PM Re: money for college kids?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

You gals are right. He worked a full time paid internship this summer so he has spending money. The issue is that he plays club baseball and travels with the team. Parents absorb those expenses. We're talking hotel rooms, food and GAS.

Maggie, book prices are out of this world. Then, when you turn them back in for cash at the end of the semester (some still looking brand new) you only get a teeny portion of what you paid a few months prior.

I need to stop whining. Everyone goes through it. I need to suck it up and get over it. Thanks for listening.

#71778 - 08/25/05 09:08 PM Re: money for college kids?
Maggie Offline

Loc: Oregon
Dotsie,
I am happy you posted about this as it lets us know were not alone on this subject. Others feel the same way.
I am sure there are other expenses too. You do have a lot when he is on the team. Don't they help raise some of their team money?
I think there others who will post to this subject.
Maggie

#71779 - 09/01/05 06:49 PM Re: money for college kids?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Maggie, they do fund raising, but that's to pay umpires, tournament fees, and some travel.

I am concerned about the price of gas. They do a lot of traveling. I'd hate to see their games become prohibitive due to traveling expenses.

[ September 01, 2005, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]

#71781 - 10/04/05 06:13 PM Re: money for college kids?
The Power of Addicted Lov Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
I went to college for 6 years. GRRRRR.....the amount of money that I spent on books is out of this world! I would pay $100.00 for a textbook and at the end of the semester sell it back for $12.00. What a joke!

I would set a budget and have your kids live by it. If they need extra for their "going out nights" then they can pick up a part time job on the weekends or summers. It's amazing how much money kids can save when they live with their parents over a summer.

Teresa

#71782 - 10/04/05 08:17 PM Re: money for college kids?
ladybug Offline

Text book costs are outta sight!My son buys his used whenever he can then we re-sell them on e-bay for a whole lot more than the college will pay you. He also has hung around the college book store and sold his used text books directly to other students needing them, still for a lot more than the college would pay. Try selling them on e-bay. It must be done as soon as your child is done with them. Some go out of date immediately while others don't.

#71783 - 10/06/05 06:27 PM Re: money for college kids?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

ladybug, selling them on Ebay is a great idea. I'm sure you can get more than the school gives you when you turn them in. Thanks for the hot tip!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved