The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 197 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#138308 - 01/16/08 09:53 PM First Quilting Square
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
I FINALLY took that first step today towards making a quilt by attending my first quilting class. There are 4 ladies in the class so the instructor can provide lots of hands-on instruction. I made my first 9-patch square (I think that's what it's called). By the end of seven weeks I will supposedly have a small quilt with different patterns made to take home.

Nancy, our instructor, has quilts hanging in the art museum in Mobile so I'm pretty humbled by her abilities and skill. I told her I am pretty anal when it comes to sewing (if the seams and such don't line up I will rip it out and do it over until it's right). She laughed and said I'd make a great quilter...I think that was a compliment LOL.
Are there any quilters out there who could share their love for quilting and any tips they might want to share? Photos?
My uncertainty is coordinating fabrics...I had to pick out six today...two solids and 4 patterned...we'll see how things go in the coming weeks.

#138309 - 01/16/08 10:48 PM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: Dee]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I share a love for them, for sure. I use to collect old quilts until they got so expensive I had to give that habit up. I've never made one, and doubt I could. I don't have the patience. Yet I can knit for hours on end...go figure.

I would LOVE to see a pic of whatever you create. Good for you in doing something you'll love. Isn't it fun to create?

#138310 - 01/17/08 04:04 AM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: jawjaw]
Dee Offline

Hi JJ....Yes, it's a lot of fun to create...I'll send you a picture IF it turns out looking okay...oh, what the heck...even if it's not! The point is to have fun when you do these things...crocheting, knitting, painting, learning a new language...whatever. Now that I'm retired it's nice to know that I have the time to do things I enjoy that I didn't have time when I was working fulltime.
You do something I could NEVER get the hang of...knitting. I just cannot work two needles at the same time...must require using both sides of the brain at once...mine doesn't work that way. What are you knitting JJ? Got any pictures of your projects?

#138311 - 01/17/08 04:59 AM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: Dee]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
I hope you show pics whether you think it turns out good or not...I betcha you do beautiful work! I can think of few things more fun than sitting around a quilt, jabbing with the girls, while quilting. You can fellowship and make something useful (not wasting time) at the same time.
I'm going to dig up my dad's book and share with you his memory of his mom and her friends/relatives quilting.

Knitting is a little different, to me. You can watch TV or the grandchildren, even read when you knit. It's a mechanical procedure, unless you have to count... knit one, purl two, knit one, purl two. When can we see some of your work, JJ?

#138312 - 01/17/08 12:07 PM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: gims]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
Dee, that's wonderful. I tend to go through creative phases in my life which isn't always so good! I don't tend to stick with what I learn. In the 80's I crocheted and absolutely loved it. After a few years I put it away. I was in ministry then with my husband and as near as I can remember I stopped when we moved to a large church in late '88. And the only experience I had with quilting was doing four pillows (2 for MIL and one for my mother) one Christmas in the '80's. When Mom died 2 1/2 years ago, I got the two pillows back that I had given her. I completely cherish these and protect them. I remember the (literal) blood that went into these! A cathedral pattern and so nice.

#138313 - 01/17/08 04:14 PM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: ladyjane]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Oh girls, I have long since given away anything I knitted and if truth be told, the receivers probably have them tucked away in some closet! HA! I love to do these things (knitting, crocheting, etc.) because they allow my brain to continue on thinking at a fast rate, while my hands go in another direction and create something.

I also (don't laugh) am an avid, and I do mean avid, jigsaw puzzle worker from wayyyyyyyyyy back. My whole family works them. Regularly. 1,000 piece or better. No three-D ones, just the regular, theme ones. Elvis, Marilyn Monroe, Mickey Mouse, cottages, NO THOMAS KINKADE (ew), James Dean, Norman Rockwell, and on and on and on. I can show you plenty of pics of those. My whole house has them all over the place.

When I talk to one of my sisters and they say they have been to our cousins houses and stayed the weekend, I say, "Well good, what did ya'll do?" The response always include, "oh and we worked that new jigsaw puzzle that just came out, ____(fill in the blank). I would rather work one of these than eat. Too bad there isn't a biz demand for them. I work a 1,000 one in about two-three days. Tops.

Then I glue and frame them. Lordy I love that fetish! Can you tell?

#138314 - 01/17/08 04:37 PM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: jawjaw]
ladyjane Offline

I'd love to see them JJ.....I LOVE jigsaw puzzles. I also love word puzzles....but back to the jigsaw's. There's something so comforting and resting about sitting for hours doing these....and coming back awhile later to put in a few more pieces. I concentrate nicely so I don't have to think of much of anything else. I hate sharing though yeah, it's true. I love having the puzzle all to myself but I do share if I really have to! Love 'em...and this is the time of year that I MOST love them. Life has been too crazy and my mind has been elsewhere so I haven't put them together as much in the past few years.

#138315 - 01/17/08 06:15 PM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: ladyjane]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I don't want to take away from Dee's quilting post, but here are just a few. Mostly, I donate them to children shelters or women shelters. These I kept

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#138316 - 01/17/08 06:24 PM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: jawjaw]
ladyjane Offline

woooohooooooo JJ! Fantastic! Love them!

#138317 - 01/17/08 06:24 PM Re: First Quilting Square [Re: jawjaw]
Anonymous
Unregistered

JJ, so who's your favorite pop star?!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved