The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 156 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#190518 - 09/24/09 11:47 PM Is It OK to be Rude?
Boomer Pie Offline

Rudeness has grown to epidemic proportions. I've written an article on my blog titled: Is Rudeness OK? that might be of interest. http://www.boomerpie.com/

#190537 - 09/25/09 04:27 PM Re: Is It OK to be Rude? [Re: Boomer Pie]
Josie Offline

Loc: NJ
Very well-written article!

I've seen celebrity rudeness and anonymous online rudeness, but I've not experienced face-to-face rudeness so much in my own personal life.....

Why is that? Maybe because I'm seeing way way too many people talking on cell phones anytime, anyplace, anywhere. It's almost as if we've turned into a society of isolated people, walking side by side with each other at the grocery store, but failing to interact, because we are in our own world. It's all about us and whoever we are talking to.

Personally, I have a cell phone which I carry for security reasons and if my husband needs to contact me while he is at work or in transit to home. I made a conscious decision to drive safely and to interact with people around me when in public. I think when we do not look at or talk to those around us in public, they become less important to our personal culture. And that in my opinion is not so good for the culture as a whole, particularly when our children look up to us as role models for their own behavior.

#190570 - 09/26/09 12:42 AM Re: Is It OK to be Rude? [Re: Josie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Well as far as rudeness goes they should call this place I live in, instead of Las Vegas it should be named LAS RUDENESS. The tourists that come here will do awful things here they would never try doing at home, they act like jaskass's, and that makes for very rude situations. This ticks of our residents and they then become rude in defense. Its a lose, lose situation...One reason the 'locals' steer clear of the strip, besides been there, done that!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#190643 - 09/27/09 03:12 PM Re: Is It OK to be Rude? [Re: ]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Anne, you are so right. The beaches in Gulf Shores, AL, or in Florida could boast of the same things. Tourist act like tourist...and what's that old saying? No one will treat your home like it's their home, but you. It's a shame. One state I've noticed though, takes it all serious...reallllll serious, and that's Tennessee. My hats off to those folks. You wouldn't believe the hefty fines one could get for littering alone, much less anything else. It is a beautiful state!

#190646 - 09/27/09 05:04 PM Re: Is It OK to be Rude? [Re: jawjaw]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Oh the stories I could tell about tourist-rudeness! We've travelled quite a bit over the years and I could write a whole book on tourist-rudeness! It astounds me how people think they can treat service people and other tourists the way they do (not to mention the environment) just because they're away from home.

One of the very worst was in Bermuda. Very tiny country, but very courteous and polite people. We were on a bus, only one door to get in and out. The bus was packed with cruise-ship tourists and Bermudians trying to get to work. There was a guy standing near the front and others in his party near the back, so they were YELLING back and forth such rude and nasty comments about the people, the countryside, the bus...oh it was humiliating and embarrassing to have to sit there and witness this behaviour. (The guy in front was also blocking the way for people to get off the bus). Finally my husband stood up and told the guy to shut-up and gave him a piece of his mind and told him if he didn't like being there to go back home. All the Bermudians on the bus clapped and turned around to thank him. The guy shut up, and they DID get off the bus at the next stop and everyone breathed a huge sigh of relief.

The things they were shouting back and forth are unrepeatable - racist (most Bermudians are black), foul and indescribably intolerably hateful. And when you know how beautiful, peaceful and kind the Bermudians are, it hurts even more.

Edited by Eagle Heart (09/27/09 05:05 PM)

(Maya Angelou)

#190651 - 09/27/09 09:11 PM Re: Is It OK to be Rude? [Re: Eagle Heart]
Mountain Ash Offline

In Harrods the famous store in London I had a woman who was walking behind me shout.."Walk on"like an army officer as I entered the toy department.
I moved on quickly thinking there was some serious issue .
No it was just a tourist needing to be in first.she may get an answer from some one some day if she tries that again and I wonder what would be suitable...dog training comes to mind..."Sit" perhaps.

Harrods is a must see if in London and she obviously wanted to see it quicker than the rest of us.

#190654 - 09/28/09 12:32 AM Re: Is It OK to be Rude? [Re: Mountain Ash]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Bravo to your hubby Eagle Heart...

I think 'sit' would be an appropriate reply Mountain Ash...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#190656 - 09/28/09 12:58 AM Re: Is It OK to be Rude? [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
It's not okay to be rude. I was at the Raven's game today. There was some loud mouthguys behind us; foul language and rude comments. My girlfriend turned around and said, "Hey, watch it." They laughed and snickered, but never screamed any obscenities again.

The surprising thing was that I thought they were 20 somethings who were carrying on, but when I turned around to look, they were about 12 years-old. I was shocked that they were so young and so rude. There didn't seem to be any parents with them. Odd.

#190700 - 09/28/09 09:17 PM Re: Is It OK to be Rude? [Re: Dotsie]
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Rudeness knows no age but it's shocking how younger and younger kids are that are okay with cutting loose. I blame the parents and adults around them who allow it.
When in my home my neighbor kids have to be kind to each other, not tattle and not be mean or I send them home. If they 'demand' something I say, "how do you ask for something?" I'm trying to teach them the proper way to do things...and 99.9% of the time they comply...I think when an adult takes the time to show a child the right way to behave they appreciate it. Of course, teenagers are a different story, but still...NOT saying anything when they do something is telling them it's okay to (fill in the blank). I guess I'm old school. I sent a neighbor kid home the other day because she would not listen to me and kept wanting to argue...that doesn't work around Ms Dee...she's getting better...it takes being persistent and letting them know that rudeness isn't going to wash.
Once they're grown...some people do it as a shock factor I think and to 'prove' they're grown and can do what they want...what they're really doing is showing how immature they remain.
Just my ever-so-humble opinion.

#190704 - 09/28/09 10:25 PM Re: Is It OK to be Rude? [Re: Dee]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Rudeness is never okay.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved