The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 147 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#56848 - 05/23/05 05:02 PM Of interest
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Harper Lee, who has been dodging publicity for decades since she published her only book, "To Kill a Mockingbird," made a rare step into the limelight to be honored by the Los Angeles Public Library.

Lee, 79, stopped giving interviews a few years after she won the Pulitzer Prize for her 1960 coming-of-age book exploring racial prejudice in the South. She has turned down most request for appearances.

But she couldn't refuse an invitation from Veronique Peck, the widow of actor Gregory Peck, who won an Oscar for his starring role as lawyer Atticus Finch in the 1962 film version of the book and became a lifelong friend with Lee.

"Mockingbird" co-star Brock Peters, who played the black man falsely accused of rape in the film, presented the award to Lee.

After Veronique Peck whispered in her ear, Lee gave her only remarks of the evening: "I'll say it again. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart."

Veronique Peck said Lee is "like a national treasure."

"She's someone who has made a difference with this book," she said. "All the kids in the United States read this book and see the film in the seventh and eighth grades and write papers and essays. My husband used to get thousands and thousands of letters from teachers who would send them to him."

She said Atticus Finch was her husband's "favorite role, and he felt that in his professional life, it was probably the best performance he ever gave."

The awards dinner Thursday drew more than 600 supporters and raised $700,000 for computers, computer training and literacy programs.

#56849 - 05/23/05 09:02 PM Re: Of interest
Dahti Blanchard Offline

Loc: Washington state
Hey Dianne-- Thanks for posting that. TKAMB is one of my 5 all-time favorite books. I knew Harper Lee was still alive and I've read interviews she gave within a couple of years of the book coming out but wondered if she would ever surface again. In one interview she had said she was working on a second novel, but of course it never surfaced. What a great thing for her to come out for now.

#56850 - 05/24/05 12:29 AM Re: Of interest
unique Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Thanks, Dianne. That's one of my favorite books, too. I should re-read it because I was so young when I read it, that the reason it became a national best seller blew right by me. It was just such a great story, the 'why' of it all didn't matter. The sense of place was enthralling just the same.

#56851 - 05/24/05 10:00 PM Re: Of interest
Katrinka Offline

Loc: Central Pennsylvania
Hi Dianne,
Thanks for sharing this. I had no idea Harper Lee is still alive! Do you know if there's a transcript of the interview anywhere?
Best,
Marie

#56852 - 05/24/05 11:12 PM Re: Of interest
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
No, I don't. Sorry. I found it on my newspage of MSN, if that helps.

#56854 - 05/26/05 03:20 AM Re: Of interest
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
My son just finished reading it at school. It's one of my favorites also! It must be wonderful to still be receiving awards and accolades for something you'd written 40 years ago.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved