The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 172 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#219829 - 01/08/14 01:26 PM Legalizing marijuana...
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Do you think legalizing marijuana for recreational use is a horrible idea? I agree using marijuana to ease medical difficulties. But legalizing another intoxicant for recreational use is a whole new level of stupid, IMHO. Just saying!!!! mad

#219830 - 01/08/14 02:55 PM Re: Legalizing marijuana... [Re: jabber]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
I think it should be legalized. Too many people are in prison who shouldn't be. Marijuana is not a gateway drug, and the main reason it's illegal in the first place is because DuPont wanted hemp outlawed when they came up with nylon rope. The other main reason for laws against it is racial - jazz musicians were identified as big users of pot and almost all of them were black - but there are other racial issues, too. Then there's the hysteria around those silly movies in the 50s like "Reefer Madness:. The latest poll I read showed that the majority of Americans are for legalizing it. People are more drawn to want something if it's illegal as Prohibition should have taught us. Why not legalize it and tax it? Colorado took in over $1M on the first day of sales - that's a lot of money!!
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#219831 - 01/08/14 04:32 PM Re: Legalizing marijuana... [Re: yonuh]
jabber Offline

I've never tried it. So probably shouldn't comment. But last night on O'Reilly they reported about a child having been hospitalized because it ingested a marijuana cookie. And the staff at that facility said this has happened several times before. Kids get ahold of their parents' materials. That's my biggest worry. I think if a person is sick and marijuana helps ease their pain, they should be able to get it. But to just put it out there for anyone to get ahold of is a mistake. That's just my opinion. Hope you are doing well. Prayers and blessings...

#219835 - 01/09/14 01:50 PM Re: Legalizing marijuana... [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

yonuh,
I just heard on the TV news this morning that NY State is legalizing Medical Marijuana use. I think that's great!

#219836 - 01/09/14 03:01 PM Re: Legalizing marijuana... [Re: jabber]
yonuh Offline

Kids will get hold of any prescription meds, other poisons in the home, guns, and hurt themselves or others. I think the media is going to play up any story involving kids and marijuana to try to show how harmful it is - especially the ones who didn't think it should be legalized for any use. The news has become a sensationalist machine; they have no interest in actually reporting the news any more, they sensationalize it to try to get their viewers riled up.

#219839 - 01/10/14 12:07 AM Re: Legalizing marijuana... [Re: yonuh]
jabber Offline

Well I totally agree with you there! They tamper with video to slant the gist their way. It's a shame we can't believe the news reports anymore.

I'm just grateful they didn't have recreational drugs like maijuana when I was growing up or I probably wouldn't be here today. It took a long time for me to get my emotions under control. Being abandoned really messes up a kid. sick

#219860 - 01/15/14 02:07 PM Re: Legalizing marijuana... [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

Young teenagers will experiment with anything they think their folks' would rather they didn't; it's a very rebellious age. This is the main reason I oppose legalizing marijuana. IMHO youngsters don't value life as much as the more mature minds do. The older a person gets, the more precious life becomes. The young have that "devil-may-care" attitude, which is dangerous to their well-being. cry

#219966 - 02/19/14 08:39 PM Re: Legalizing marijuana... [Re: jabber]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
I read an editorial on this topic by Donna Brazile, who many of you probably know as a political commentator. Her take: medical usage is now gaining traction in the South...

Quote:

The South Goes to Pot

By Donna Brazile
Newspaper Enterprise Association

It seems marijuana -- at least for medical use -- is sweeping the nation. More than 20 states and the District of Columbia have either legalized medical marijuana or decriminalized its possession, and in two states, Colorado and Washington, voters recently legalized its recreational use. The Denver Post even appointed a Marijuana editor.

The Pew Research Center, a nonpartisan think tank in Washington, D.C., found in September that, “For the first time in more than four decades of polling ... a majority (52 percent) of Americans favor legalizing the use of marijuana.” In June, they found that nearly half of Americans had smoked marijuana, up from 40 percent three years ago -- and 12 percent had done so recently.

Half of baby boomers now favor legalization. And 72 percent of Americans say it isn’t worth the federal government’s time and money to enforce federal laws against marijuana. Agreement on this last point breaches even the partisan divide. Rather, the division is between conservatives in both parties on one side, and moderates and liberals on the other.

But what about the Bible Belt -- the Deep South? In 2010, CNBC found that “in most states legalization is not even on the horizon,” while some were “vehemently opposed.” Florida and Louisiana were the two most “cannabis nongratis” states. Florida has the toughest anti-marijuana laws -- a $6,000 fine and five years in the slammer for possessing one ounce. CNBC found its marijuana laws were only “getting tougher.”

In Louisiana (my home state), I wasn’t surprised that the editor of LaPolitics, Joe Maginnis, observed that Louisiana “is not a culture of where marijuana is accepted.” True dat. Harsher penalties were being introduced in 2010 there, too.

Except that today, the reverse is true. Last month, the Florida Supreme Court approved the language for a constitutional amendment to legalize medical marijuana three days before citizens gathered enough signatures to place it on the November ballot. And NORML, a group working to reform marijuana laws, reports an American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) poll found that 53 percent of Louisianans favor legalizing recreational marijuana. Support for legalizing marijuana “is blooming in the South,” it said.

Indeed it is. In Kentucky (where citizens are so politically conservative that Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell is considered by some to be too liberal), a recent poll found 52 percent favor medical marijuana, while only 37 percent opposed it. (The remainder, 12 percent, were “not sure.”)

Kentucky House Speaker Greg Stumbo told the Lexington Herald-Leader, “There does seem to be in the public a growing awareness that the medical marijuana issue is different from the drug issue.” This week, Kentucky state Sen. Julie Denton, a Republican, filed a bill that would permit the use of cannabidiol, marijuana in controlled oral doses, which reduces seizures in children.

In Alabama, state Rep. Mike Ball, a former hostage negotiator for the state highway patrol, backs a bill to permit cannabis oil. “The political fear is shifting from what will happen if we pass it, to what might happen if we don’t,” Ball told the Associated Press. CNN’s chief medical correspondent, Dr. Sanjay Gupta, made a public apology for an article he wrote for Time magazine in 2009, opposing legalizing pot. “I didn’t look hard enough,” he said, “until now.”

Dr. Gupta now finds compelling medical evidence that marijuana does have medical uses. And in some cases, marijuana is the only recourse. Gupta cites the case of Charlotte Figi, a child he met in Colorado. She had seizures at birth; by age 3, was having more than 300 seizures a day and was on seven different medications at once. Today, her “brain is calmed” by cannabis oil, and she is down to about three seizures a month.

“We have been terribly and systematically misled for nearly 70 years in the United States, and I apologize for my own role in that,” Gupta wrote on the CNN Health website. Voters appear to be coming to the same conclusion. More than one-third of the states have initiatives on marijuana on this fall’s ballots. Among those states considering marijuana legislation are Southern states like Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia and Louisiana.

In fact, the current push to legalize medical marijuana is a renaissance of legislation that was passed in the 1970s after a presidential commission recommended decriminalizing marijuana. New Mexico was the first state to act, in 1978, and Louisiana, Florida and Illinois followed the same year. Georgia did so in 1981. According to the International Business Times, “Thirty-four states adopted laws recognizing the medical benefits of cannabis between 1978 and 1982.”

However, a get-tough-on-drug-users atmosphere then swept the nation, and most of the laws were not funded, shut down or simply ignored. Now, existing laws may be revived to ease the transition to legalizing medical marijuana.

In 1982, Georgia enacted the Medical Marijuana Necessities Act, (now called the Controlled Substances Therapeutic Research Program). It cited restrictive federal laws that impeded clinical trials for medical marijuana and “insufficient funding,” to properly explore medical marijuana.

Now, like Dr. Gupta says, the evidence is in. And the South may finally be ready to resume a leading role in the legal use of medical marijuana.

Here's a link, too: Donna Brazile column
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#219967 - 02/19/14 10:50 PM Re: Legalizing marijuana... [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

I favor legalizing marijuana for medical use but not as a recreational drug. How would like a surgeon operating on you,
who'd just smoke a marijuana joint? Or how'd you like a judge to pass sentence on you who's high on drugs? No thanks. That's nuts.
And now the crime rate is up in Colorado because these places selling the "Mary Jane" have so much money in their safes.
Now who didn't see that coming????

#219970 - 02/21/14 01:10 AM Re: Legalizing marijuana... [Re: jabber]
yonuh Offline

Surgeons, judges, whatever, could also be high on legal prescription drugs. Where are you getting your crime statistics?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved