The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 111 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#199048 - 02/03/10 09:12 PM Grandfather bonuses...?
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
They say AIG is giving a top executive a 100 million dollar bonus; nobody can stop it; it's a grandfather contract. Well
don't you think somebody in control of the company when that
contract was signed, should've had the forethought to put in
small print, [bonuses would only be paid if investment
choices were successful]! Who ever heard of rewarding failure
at the tune of 100 million dollars? Think this ticks me off? You bet it does!

#199051 - 02/03/10 09:34 PM Re: Grandfather bonuses...? [Re: jabber]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
We had the same outcry over here with Banker's bonuses, Jabber. It's obscene, is'nt it? They must have hired lawyers from the firm of Dewey Cheatum & Howe.

#199057 - 02/03/10 10:14 PM Re: Grandfather bonuses...? [Re: Lola]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I am so glad that the Canadian govn't never bailed out our banks here during the economic downturn last year (which is still hanging around now).

But then Canadian banks were not in as deep financial trouble as the U.S.-grown banks simply because our federal govn't strict legislation on the banking industry. The Canadian banking execs. are probably still getting their annual bonuses..but there's no bailout money from Canadian govn't for them.

I know people have said that less legislation is better to do business. I disagree when there isn't protection for the consumer's/public's personal finances, mental health and physical safety/physical health.

#199063 - 02/03/10 11:24 PM Re: Grandfather bonuses...? [Re: orchid]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I have a accident policy with AIG, Oops, should have said HAD! I cancelled it this morning after hearing this crap...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#199095 - 02/04/10 02:18 PM Re: Grandfather bonuses...? [Re: chatty lady]
jabber Offline

I was just blowing off steam. It does tick me off, but nothin' a
little ole peon, such as I, can do. Simply do not get the mind-
set that allows this type of nonsense. Even if these executives
had been successful, those size bonuses are not justified.
What's the matter with people? Good grief!!!! Lola, love the
name, Dewey Cheatum & Howe! Orchid, B glad U live in Canada!!!
That's a beautiful country! I love Canada! Terrorism has made it
difficult for us to get up there; we need an enhanced, photo
license, which we haven't gotten as yet. There's a lot of rigmarole a person has to go through to get 1! Haven't taken the
time to do it.

#199115 - 02/04/10 09:46 PM Re: Grandfather bonuses...? [Re: jabber]
Josie Offline

Loc: NJ
Jabber: What the heck is an ENHANCED photo license? Does one have to get a fresh hair tint, botox, and a facelift to pass muster? lol

#199116 - 02/04/10 10:07 PM Re: Grandfather bonuses...? [Re: Josie]
Josie Offline

Loc: NJ
As far as money-crazy, I was just hearing on the news that in 2009, we added 360 BILLION dollars to our Chinese debt IN INTEREST ALONE. And this year, if the US does not borrow from China, which it does every week regularly, we still have another 500 BILLION dollar INTEREST deficit on the horizon.

Kinda makes my $400 gas & electric bill seem mighty puny!

If Moody downgrades our bond ratings, we are in real trouble. Then the AIG issue will seem like a tiny newspaper article on the bottom of page 29.

Thank God I'm into carbs, which are real gut fillers.

Most of us boomers know how to balance our little piles of moolah. Maybe one of us could write a book for the guys? lol

#199118 - 02/04/10 10:55 PM Re: Grandfather bonuses...? [Re: jabber]
orchid Offline

Originally Posted By: jabber
Terrorism has made it
difficult for us to get up there; we need an enhanced, photo
license, which we haven't gotten as yet. There's a lot of rigmarole a person has to go through to get 1! Haven't taken the
time to do it.

Jabber I don't know if there's that much of cost difference between U.S. enhanced driver's license and U.S. passport to travel across international borders. Why not just get the U.S. passport so that you can go into Canada...and worldwide? You never know how you and hubby might feel about travelling outside of North America within the next few years. Life is short, you might want to be more spontaneous. Quebec is a great alternative to Europe.

You live in New York State not in Nebraska....much closer to the international border than many other Americans. So higher probability of travelling cross-broder.

I get and retain the highest level of international govn't documentation ..that is my Canadian passport. It is the only ID now for all Canadians wishing to travel into the U.S. (and in other countries). That is law now in effect. Before Canadians could use their photo ID driver's license. Not anymore.

Even my dearie, before 911 incident that caused national travel laws to tighten, who could have used his drivers' license to travel into U.S. (he travelled alot for biz in his career into the U.S.), always ensured he had a valid current CAnadian passport. He needed and wanted the highest and most flexible valid govn't issued ID for international travel.

It is your strongest ID as an American citizen travelling internationally.

I absolutely value my Canadian citizenship and ..passport. I don't take it for granted.

#199153 - 02/05/10 02:34 PM Re: Grandfather bonuses...? [Re: orchid]
jabber Offline

WB will never travel in an airplane. I went to Italy in '95 and
he wouldn't go with me. We used to go to Canada, Ft. Erie, and
celebrate our birthdays and all our friends, there was about
12 of us that went, to a special Chinese restaurant periodically. Never had a problem crossing the border.
Enhanced Driver's License requires all sorts of proof, Birth Certificates, background checks, filling out papers [proofs of identity, uS citizenship and NYS Residence] application and questions, etc., certification, yada, yada, yada. They'll let terrorists in without a problem. Tax paying residents go through the third-degree!

#199159 - 02/05/10 05:29 PM Re: Grandfather bonuses...? [Re: jabber]
orchid Offline

Originally Posted By: jabber
Never had a problem crossing the border.
Enhanced Driver's License requires all sorts of proof, Birth Certificates, background checks, filling out papers [proofs of identity, uS citizenship and NYS Residence] application and questions, etc., certification, yada, yada, yada. They'll let terrorists in without a problem. Tax paying residents go through the third-degree!

Too bad your hubby doesn't like to fly. Sounds like my partner's daughter (she's 32).

Frankly I've been more than willing to do the simple paperwork, birth certificate and background checks to apply and renew my passport ever 7 years.

I've been doing this for past 25 years of my life.
It will be a big deal ...only in the minds of legitimate citizens. that's why one has to apply several months in advance ...not wait the last minute.

What is the big deal? Put yourself in my shoes...look at me...how can anyone be certain that I am Canadian. LThis is why I am so willing to submit myself to the passport process..I am flippin' proud to show my Canadian passport because that's who I am...and I need that protection.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved