The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 186 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#158706 - 09/04/08 01:21 PM Grasping brings less...
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
"Grasping brings less; letting go brings more."

Parker Palmer

Hoping I'm not the only one who can benefit from this quote. Since all three kids are now out of the house, I'm looking for that balance of letting go, but still being in touch. I'm going to start a post in the Children forum to get soem opinions on this.

Are you grasping anything you need to let go?

#158708 - 09/04/08 01:36 PM Re: Grasping brings less... [Re: Dotsie]
Mama Red Offline

Loc: Wauconda, IL
Oh if you only knew (smile) how many things I need to let go of...and how many things I already have. It has been a heckuva a journey. I seem to have a habit of "surrendering" only to say "oh, never mind, I can do it myself!". Grin.....

MamaRed (Jerilynne)
www.mamaredspeaks.com
www.onemillionacts.com
Coming Summer 2009 "Kick-Butt Kindness: 52 No Cost Ways to Ripple Kindness 'Round the World"

Let's create Kick-Butt-and-Take-Names Lives!

#158785 - 09/05/08 01:44 AM Re: Grasping brings less... [Re: Mama Red]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Interesting, Dotsie. The Scripture passage I keep getting during prayer time lately is from Matthew 6:21: "For wherever your treasure is, there will your heart be also." Very thought-provoking; one of the ways I've been trying to fill these empty holes in my heart has been through shopping, not so much for myself, but for others. It does bring joy to surprise people with things I know they want, and to see the look of pleasure, especially on my grandchildren's faces.

But it's never enough. As soon as the gifts are given and opened, the emptiness in my heart returns.

My "treasure" was once rooted in my family. As they disappeared one by one, my heart began to disappear too. And the more I grasped for what couldn't be, the emptier I felt.

So I substituted "things". But those "things" don't sustain my heart, and they don't fill the emptiness. Grasping for more just makes them less thrilling and terribly unfulfilling.

I need to let go of the desperate grasping for something to dull the pain. I need to rediscover where my true treasure lies and then I'll find my heart again.

(Maya Angelou)

#158930 - 09/06/08 10:44 AM Re: Grasping brings less... [Re: Eagle Heart]
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
Eagleheart..I was just looking around and found your post...

Discovering where your true treasure lies isn´t an easy task. I find that my treasure my change at times. But maybe that´s not what the real treasure is about. Perhaps it is something like: giving joy and finding joy.

Hmm..interesting. I am also reading and right now I have read about how difficult it is for us human benings to focus on something..concentrate on it..and thereby giving it strong vibrations in to the universe. We do so much without really focusing on what we are doing..or what do you think?

#158946 - 09/06/08 03:04 PM Re: Grasping brings less... [Re: humlan]
MustangGal
Unregistered

Dotsie, lovely quote - I'll paste a sticky to my cpt screen at work as a reminder. Eagle Heart, thank you - you always have a way of putting what I can't say, yet feel, into words. I have family, yet not a good relationship with them. I've coveted things, only to lose interest. Now, I attempt to create relationships with nature, universe, and my pets. I'm learning to say less and listen, to not be so critical and letting go of the past (which is very difficult) to enjoy now.

#158949 - 09/06/08 04:44 PM Re: Grasping brings less... [Re: ]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I have a dear friend who told me just last night that her life starting taking shape when she let go and stop trying to drive. I believe this is what your quote is saying. Staying in the moments you have, trusting and believing in the fact that you CAN and WILL do whatever it is you want to do, and then moving on, TO ME...(Don't send me emails)...makes it all happen.

On the heels of that conversation with my friend, another friend told me this morning that her thoughts on this were simply, SEE IT, BELIEVE IT, LIVE IT. In other words, YOU have to define or see what you want, believe in it, and then live as though you have received it, because you will....I know this smacks to some of the LOA, but girls...this kind of thinking has been around since the beginning of time. It's nothing new. I think some of us just stop believing.

I love that simple quote...and will use it as a mantra for a while.

Who's driving your life?

#158960 - 09/06/08 06:50 PM Re: Grasping brings less... [Re: jawjaw]
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
JJ..now that was an interesting question..who is driving your life?

You know...I thought that your friend stopped driving her car grin..that´s how deep and imaginative I am!!! grin

But I suppose that perhaps we shouldn´t really try to drive our lives either..but rather LIVE IN THE MOMENT and Believe..like we did when we were quite small children..I mean like 2 ör 3 yrs old.

Interesting..interesting!!! And things DO happen and almost fall in your lap..I know. It´s happened to me! I actually wanted my son to decide to study in the US for a time..despite the empitness and the pain..and he went and did it at the last minute. It was my secret wish..if I am to be honest. WOW!!!!

#159041 - 09/07/08 01:28 PM Re: Grasping brings less... [Re: humlan]
chickadee Offline

We are a positive bunch, that's why I like it here.
I am driving my life...I believe that God helps those who help themselves. I continue to believe in my goal of becoming the first woman to win the World Series of Poker. I see it, believe it, practice it, eat, sleep and live it every day.
Is this a far fetched goal? I think not.I am doing "everything" possible to attain it.
I was told that I would never find my Dad. I only had a name and a map of the world. Hah! I made it my goal, did something 'almost'every day to find him. Twelve years later I met him.
If I am good at anything it would be reaching my goal. I always have one "major" one on my agenda.

If I win the World Series, my next goal would be....let me sleep on this one and get back to you.

What is your major achievable goal? I'll post it somewhere. Sure we've done this before.

#159055 - 09/07/08 02:37 PM Re: Grasping brings less... [Re: chickadee]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Chick, will you remember us little people when you win?

Thank you for posting it in another thread, Chick. I never tire of reading people's responses and since we have new members, it is even more welcomed!

I hope all will see it and RESPOND IN THAT THREAD!

Just another thing we have in common, Chickster...I found my grandfather with only a name, and not even knowing the collect spelling of it, either. It took me two years. I DID find him, however, the year after he died. How sad is that?

#159457 - 09/10/08 08:19 PM Re: Grasping brings less... [Re: jawjaw]
JackieG Offline

Beautiful verse Dotsie

Ihe way I normally say this same sentiment to myself and others is "Let go and let God" not always easy - LOL - I keep wanting to go pick things back up again after letting them go, because the resolutions aren't coming fast enough for my patience, if you know what I mean - LOL - but if you hang in there and wait for God's timing which is perfect, things will work out a lot better...

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved