The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#119837 - 06/01/07 05:28 AM Classical music
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Anyone listen/buy it? I do -- when I don't forget to throw in the music CDs on the player while I'm surfing here.

We have a small CD collection (only 50 discs acquired over 15 years) --with over 70% are classical instrumental and voical pieces. For moi, it's baroque, occasionally with medieval.

Anyone else? Note: I don't play any musical instrument nor belong to a choir/singing group.

#119838 - 06/01/07 12:17 PM Re: Classical music [Re: orchid]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Orchid, music is definitely something that is lacking in my life. I only listen to Christian or country in the car and that's the extent of my music listening, unless the kids have their lap tops on. The crazy thing is that I love listening to it. I need to find a way to integrate it a little more into my life.

You listen while you are online? I've never tried that. SOmetimes I listen to teleseminars while online, but never music. I'll have to give it a try.

I don't play a musical instrument or sing either. Trust me, you wouldn't want me to!

#119839 - 06/01/07 05:18 PM Re: Classical music
Mountain Ash Offline

Yes Orchid I have a collection of classical music.Depending on what I am feeling like...then I play what lifts me or allows feelings to flow.My daughter is a well educated(musicly)and I enjoy her tastes also.
Mountain ash

#119840 - 06/01/07 06:52 PM Re: Classical music [Re: Mountain Ash]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
I listen to classical music as much as I listen to non-classical. So, my CD collection would have Perlman next to Led Zep. Have you heard "It's a Man's World" by James Brown and Pavarotti? Nigel Kennedy doing Purple Haze?

#119841 - 06/01/07 07:06 PM Re: Classical music [Re: Lola]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
I like some classical music. I love Strauss's Waltzes, and Bach and some of Mozart's minuets. But real heavy stuff, like Operas from Wagner...will send me to the exit door faster then you can say "this is music."

Some Operettas like Carmen are fun... and I even put on a CD real loud while cleaning the house. Makes me move faster.

But basically I'm, a blues, swing person. Just LOVE that kind of music.

Does anyone download music from internet and mix it themselves? I'm just starting to do that. It's fun but addictive and very time consuming.

#119842 - 06/02/07 10:04 PM Re: Classical music
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Quote:

Orchid, music is definitely something that is lacking in my life. I only listen to Christian or country in the car and that's the extent of my music listening, unless the kids have their lap tops on. The crazy thing is that I love listening to it. I need to find a way to integrate it a little more into my life.

You listen while you are online? I've never tried that. SOmetimes I listen to teleseminars while online, but never music. I'll have to give it a try.

I don't play a musical instrument or sing either. Trust me, you wouldn't want me to!

I got into classical music when a close friend fell in love in Mozart due to the release the movie Requiem, which traces his life. She saw that movie over 10 times. She fell for baroque....and I got into it too. STartedt to read some of the composer's bios. Baroque music can have fast virtuostic energy..so I prefer Bach, Vivaldi (the red-haired priest who had his travelling group of girls who played his pieces).

I enjoyed an annual subscription to a Canadian baroque instrumental group for about 6 years when I lived in Toronto. Taeflemusik, they tour internationally.

If I were to visit Europe again, I would most likely try to fit in a chamber music concert. we did when we were visiting on our own, Brussels, Belgium.

Handel's Messiah is from the baroque music period. Of course Handel is famous for the Royal Fireworks, Queen of Sheba..just glorious music.

I hope you give this music a try Dotsie, some of the music is of course, was originally composed ...in dedication to God. But more on of His glorious mystery. It would blow religious country music out of the water.

I am not religious, but if one had convince someone of the greatness of God, then baroque music could do it.

so whenever you see an advertisement for baroque chamber music group, it is not always whimpish music. Fast, mind-boggling violin/string, riveting and soul-inspiring playing, etc.

My taste hasn't yet expanded to Schubert, etc. I don't care much for opera, except for baroque opera/vocal which is less bombastic...than Wagner.

#119843 - 06/03/07 01:10 PM Re: Classical music [Re: orchid]
Poppie Offline

Loc: London
Angel a chara...I am a complete downloading freak, I can chart my whole relationship to date with Celtic in terms of compilation cd's.

Celtic finds this amusing and I used to complain that she wouldn't do some for me. I taught her the process of burning and ripping one weekend...the same weekend, we hardly broke breath as she obsessed over four compilations....but it was worth the wait.

The compilations on my part started with
'your nice and I wanna impress you '...

next one, 'your cute, I like you alot and I wanna impress you '

Third, 'I am falling for you...sod the trying to impress you and just kiss me you fool '

Fourth, 'I am mad about you '.....there are about five of these kinds of cd's

Fifth...'I love you, I love you, I love you, again about four of these!'

Sixth.....'I love you, but your missing some of what I am trying to say...read between the lines woman !!!'

Senventh....'Oh you do realy love me '

.....'Do you realy love me one,two and three ?'...

Lets hope we are far off the 'you hurt me and I hate you '...box set!!

As for classical music....that, like most peeps depends on my mood. I find it kinda weird and good at the same time that most people of my so called 'class' have been shown and have learned about classical and opera through movie themes and tv adverts.
I was lucky in some senses as my dad was taught and sang classical as a boy so he held a wee passion which he passed on to me, the youngest.
My dad was fortunate to record when he was about nine or so and producers wanted more than just one EP. He fell ill with polio and was unable to continue with that. I am still searching for a copy of what he covered.

I love the usual suspects, but one of my all time favourites is Delibes vocal, operatic...in particular Lakme.
I certainly wouldn't call myself well versed on classical, indeed far from it....but I do enjoy what I have collected so far over the years.
I totally get what you are saying Orchid...re convincing someone....then certain peices of vocal or instrumental would be a good place to start in my book,
i.e MASCAGNI Cavalleria Rusticana: Intermezzo.

Po
''Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love

#119844 - 06/03/07 01:19 PM Re: Classical music [Re: Poppie]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I love classical music, believe it or not. I have quite a bit of it. Mostly recordings that friends have done for me. I love Beethoven, Bach, the regular boys, as I call them.

I also have one CD by David Lanz and in particular, the album CRISTOFORI'S DREAM is my fav. I LOVE pianists!

#119845 - 06/04/07 02:14 AM Re: Classical music [Re: jawjaw]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
I like Chopin. When I listen to classical, it's Chopin for me. Mostly, I like oldies, easy listening, etc. But, once in a while I like to listen to Classical. I used to use Chopin to paint to.

#119846 - 06/04/07 04:09 AM Re: Classical music [Re: Louisa]
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Lousia,
I love classical music and the oldies also. I love Handel , Mozart and Bach from Toccatta in D minor . Bach composed a lot of his music for the pipe organs , for which I love

I find any harp music so relaxing and comforting at times .

Renee

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved