The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 192 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#19782 - 06/24/06 12:42 AM Entertaining boomers
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
I need to rant.

A group of ladies just left my house. We had a meeting with a light lunch. I served quiche and salad with brownies and fruit for desert. We had caffeine free iced tea and coffee. I hoped the food would include something for everyone and I could avoid any whining. Wrong.

A lady said she didn't like quiche, but ate two slices. Another ate it, but swore the eggs were clogging her arties. One said the sugar in brownies was bad for the diabetes she doesn't have, but runs in her family. She also refused fruit, but wound up asking for a "bite" of someone else's brownie. Another woman wanted a special dressing for the salad. One carried her own fake salt. One didn't drink tea. Another didn't do caffeine (I headed her off with the caffeine free tea--been there) One wanted artificial sweetner (Headed her off too) and another swore it was poison. One brought her own bottled water. Another brought her own Starbucks coffee because it is the only kind she drinks.

These are women in their forties and fifties.

I gotta' tell ya' entertaining boomers ain't easy. I am coming to the point where I entertain rarely and enjoy it less.

Everyone talks obsessively about their illnesses, special diets, food intolerances, diseases, sure fire ways to health, and on and on. It's boring.

I remember when I was younger and people talked about philosphy, jobs, families, careers, men. What happened?

smile

[ June 23, 2006, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#19783 - 06/24/06 12:55 AM Re: Entertaining boomers
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Many people have just lost their manners!! In a world that tells everyone to look out for themselves and to speak their minds, we have lost that sense of being hospitable and knowing how to receive it.
And I for one, can thing of a zillion things to talk about that are way more interesting than the way my body does and does not work!!
Invite ME next time, smile. I will need some good directions to outer space, though. [Razz]

[ June 23, 2006, 06:20 PM: Message edited by: Bluebird ]

#19784 - 06/24/06 01:26 AM Re: Entertaining boomers
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
DH and I have just been talking about aging and how we handle it.

IT's EASY to complain all the time...we just know too much nowadays. He and I are both crankiest at night. Thankfully I have a separate shop to go into...well, so does he but he does not have a/c yet!!

And right smilinize, subject matters HAVE changed. But hey, I just had an idea. Next time you get together, have a drawing from a bowl. Each slip of paper will have a unique subject matter written on it. After discussing THAT subject only for 10 minutes or however long you wish,the next person chooses another piece of paper. It just MIGHT be fun!!

Rule is: conversations must ONLY stick to the subject drawn!!

#19785 - 06/24/06 01:43 AM Re: Entertaining boomers
bamgibbs Offline

Loc: Durham, NC
Smilinize,

What until we get in our 60s and 70s. I HEAR it's even WORSE!!!

But you know what, I've made it a point at this stage of my life to associate myself with POSITIVE SPIRITS. Negativity is contagious but so is positive energy. Life is way too short at this point to waste unnecessary time or energy on people who can't see the good in life. Sure, there's alot of MESS in the world but I believe when you're lined up with the universe, all things work together for good!

Peace & Blessings,
Beverly Mahone
Author, WHATEVER! A Baby Boomer's Journey Into Middle Age
www.talk2bev.com

#19786 - 06/24/06 01:47 AM Re: Entertaining boomers
smilinize Offline

The last time I posted about this I swore I was Never going to allow anyone else in my house who insisted on discussing their body parts. Obvioulsy I fell off the wagon.

I think it is RUDE to insult someone's hospitality. And I am so sick of hearing about people's diabetes, their abs, their kidney stones, their surgeries, their diet, their psychiatrist, what kind of water they drink, their latest exercise plan.

I tell ya' it's making me SICK.

Bluebird, it's an easy trip. I'll send directions.

smile

[ June 23, 2006, 06:51 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#19787 - 06/24/06 01:50 AM Re: Entertaining boomers
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
It IS rude!!
Do you see the common thread of talking about their bodies, their psychiatrists, their diet...?
People like to talk about themselves...very boring.

#19788 - 06/24/06 01:55 AM Re: Entertaining boomers
smilinize Offline

Usually I don't mind hearing about people's problems or triumphs. I think I'm pretty tolerant of both whining and bragging. It just gets boring to me when there is nothing they are passionate about ouside themselves. I am afraid I will pick it up also.

Oh well, enough ranting for one day. I'm busy cleaning up the mess now and I'm forgetting the whole thing. It's always something.....

smile

[ June 23, 2006, 07:17 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#19789 - 06/24/06 04:45 AM Re: Entertaining boomers
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Oh Smile, I'm so relating to your "rant". Whenever we have people over for supper, and it's all too often - and it's all family - it's the same story. We work very hard to provide a good, positive atmosphere and a good variety of nutritional, tasty food to suit everyone's palate (and there's a WIDE variety of tastebuds to suit!), but it's NEVER good enough. Never a meal goes by without complaints about it being too this, too that, too much, too little, too sweet, too salty, too boring, too exotic...I get so fed up, I honestly don't see what the point is in trying anymore.

I'm so tempted from now on to just fill the table with all the makings for sandwiches and tell everyone to make their own.

I was brought up to eat whatever was served and to be graciously appreciative of the hospitality...I think/hope I'm still that way. But I'm astounded by how houseguests think they have the right (obligation?) to tell me everything that's wrong with our house/food/hospitality/colour scheme/my hair/my clothes/my personality...enough.

Ok, I'll stop my rant now. Sorry to hijack your rant by ranting [Eek!] somehow I don't think you'll mind...I sure wish we could have lunch together.

#19790 - 06/24/06 04:53 AM Re: Entertaining boomers
smilinize Offline

Eagle,

I would love to have lunch with you also. We would probably be talking so much, we wouldn't even know what we ate.

smile

#19791 - 06/25/06 12:23 AM Re: Entertaining boomers
heavenbound Offline

Loc: Marthasville, Missouri
Smile, I appreciate where you are coming from and I have to tell you, from someone who is very health conscious, your friends WERE rude! If I am invited to someones home for a meal, I will eat it, I have no problem indulging occasionally. I would NEVER accept an invitation and then complain. It sounds like you went out of your way for them.

My friends are used to me, we joke about it, and we love each other. My family just makes sure I am not the one who bakes dessert because they fear what might be in it!

Besides, like you all said, it is the sharing of time and lives that is important. Do you have any leftovers?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved