The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 162 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#187682 - 08/04/09 05:08 AM Exercise, weight loss/control
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
some articles on fine tuning food choices for weight control/loss when one is also exercising.

http://www.sportmedbc.com/libraryArticles.php?recordID=337

http://www.sportmedbc.com/libraryArticles.php?recordID=251

#187704 - 08/04/09 07:46 PM Re: Exercise, weight loss/control [Re: ]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Anne, I eat less and weigh more. Absolutely. I also exercise more and weigh more. What's wrong with that picture?

#187705 - 08/04/09 07:49 PM Re: Exercise, weight loss/control [Re: Dotsie]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
This is taken from one of the articles orchid posted. Ithink it's great advice..

Making it Work
Remember that real success takes time and consistency. Aim to stick to the 90/10 rule. 90% of the time making wise food choices and then 10% of the time feel free to let things slide a little. Not a free-for-all, but allow yourself to indulge in a couple slices of pizza. If you are eating 5-6 meals/snacks per day, 10% equals about 3-4 meals/snacks each week.

Personally, I'm at about the 75/25 rule so I have a way to go.

#187975 - 08/09/09 05:44 AM Re: Exercise, weight loss/control [Re: Dotsie]
KathyC Offline

Loc: North of Dallas, TX
Originally Posted By: Dotsie
Anne, I eat less and weigh more. Absolutely. I also exercise more and weigh more. What's wrong with that picture?

Dotsie,

Get your thyroid levels checked. But find a doctor that will go by your symptoms more than your test results. And stick to natural thyroid, such as Armour. It's much, much cheaper than the pharmaceutical version.

I have found my thyroid isn't working up to par with getting older.

#188014 - 08/10/09 07:44 AM Re: Exercise, weight loss/control [Re: KathyC]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Quote:
I eat less and weigh more. Absolutely. I also exercise more and weigh more. What's wrong with that picture?
Dotsie, I'm so glad you posted this. I thought I was the only one. And it's soo frustrating, because I'm forfeiting sweets and anything fattening, I'm sweating up a storm doing sports. Then I get on the scale, and sometimes I've even gained! I think my body absorbs the salty sweat and turns it into pounds.

#188025 - 08/10/09 03:27 PM Re: Exercise, weight loss/control [Re: Edelweiss3]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Get this...I walk every day, early in the mornings...then I shower. I weight BEFORE I shower, and after. I always weight ONE POUND LESS after I shower. Dirt? Sweat? You tell me! I think it is a hoot!

I'm assuming for you two that perhaps the weight gain could be the clothes you have on when you weigh? The muscle tone? (Muscle weighs more), or maybe the TIME of day you weigh? Now if you weigh the same time every day, and are butt naked, then I don't have an answer for you. But one thing you might try is measuring your bode.

The reason I say this is because I have shown a weight gain on occasion, but I keep a record of my inches...and I show a continual loss of inches...and can see/feel it in my clothes.

As of this week, I've lost 30 pounds. Wuhoo! Now that I've reached my first goal, I'll go on to the next one.

#188033 - 08/10/09 03:54 PM Re: Exercise, weight loss/control [Re: jawjaw]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Here is an article from WebMD that you might find interesting. You might also go there and asked the question about the weight gain. Just a thought.

Sleep and Hunger Control - There is a widely studied hormone, called leptin that signals the brain when we are full. When the body doesn't get enough sleep, hormones in the nervous system are triggered that can lower the level of leptin. When leptin levels are low, the brain tells the body it wants more food. When you get enough sleep, leptin levels stay high and let the body know it is satisfied, thus decreasing the need to overeat.

How Much Sleep is Enough? 7 to 9 hours a night is the average amount of sleep recommended for an adult. Experts say you will know if you haven't had enough sleep if you feel drowsy during the day. The human body does not seem to adapt to sleeping less, creating a 'sleep debt' that the body will eventually demand be paid back.

How to Get Better Sleep - First, move your TV and radio out of the bedroom. Keep your sleeping area as dark as possible, as well as cool and quiet. Make a relaxing pre-bed routine, such as having a warm bath and a cup of decaf tea. Don't do stressful activities before bed. Try to go to bed at the same time every night and wake up at the same time every morning. During the day, be sure to fit in some activity. Make your 'to-do' list for the next day to keep from focusing on upcoming plans at night that can make well-deserved sleep harder to get.

#188055 - 08/11/09 02:55 AM Re: Exercise, weight loss/control [Re: jawjaw]
KathyC Offline

Loc: North of Dallas, TX
JawJaw,

Those are all great suggestions. Now if I could just get my body to sleep - that would be great. LOL!!! This week I've decided I'm going to sleep whenever I feel like it. Since I'm not hardly sleeping at night, I took a four hour nap today. Now, I hope I can sleep tonight. I'm going to add melatonin back into my before bed vitamin regime.

#188058 - 08/11/09 03:37 AM Re: Exercise, weight loss/control [Re: KathyC]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Fabulous jawjaw with your 30lb. loss. YOu must have also adjusted your diet? What are the biggest changes?

My weight can fluctuate 2-3 lbs. due to water retention. I also find it helpful to weigh myself the next day after a long, multi-hr. ride..PROVIDED I haven't overindulged for supper on that same day of vigorous exercise.

Part of the problem is the temptation to reward yourself with a decadent goodie/bigger meal after a bout of sweaty exercise. Or socializing with a bunch of people afterwards who also participated in same sport as you that day..and that blows it over coffee & dessert, etc.

I'm not disciplined entirely in this area.

#188060 - 08/11/09 09:41 AM Re: Exercise, weight loss/control [Re: orchid]
CiaoCiao Offline

Are you getting any exercise?

A really great and extremely effective exercise that is over-looked
Rebounding...

Just get a mini trampoline... I have one that I just move out of the way when I am finished with it.

NASA, US Special forces and Olympic athletes have been using trampolines for years to help stay in shape

Check these out:

http://www.urbanrebounding.com
http://www.reboundair.com

Edited by CiaoCiao (08/11/09 09:45 AM)

Details: http://sn.im/granny4

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved