The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 175 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#209018 - 11/17/10 09:20 PM Weight Loss Boot Camp
boomerbroads Offline

Hi everyone. This video comes from The Boomer Broads, a youtube show designed for adult women with attitude! Here's a recent video by Boomer Broad Janet to the Oaks at Ojai spa. No salt, no sugar, no alcohol. And she's still standing!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmSFPeCwWyg

#209023 - 11/18/10 03:15 AM Re: Weight Loss Boot Camp [Re: boomerbroads]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Thanks, Boomer Broads!

Janet you are an inspiration!
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#217876 - 09/28/12 12:26 PM Re: Weight Loss Boot Camp [Re: Anne Holmes]
AimeyMalambri Offline

Here are some tips for your family so that you can enjoy your weight loss or fitness campaign, while creating health and prosperity.

Plan with them!

Get involve with your children and spouse for planning physical activities during the month. Find out when each member of the family has some time off and plan bicycle rides, visits to the swimming pools, zoo and other activities so that you can spend your precious time with them and work on your body at the same time.

Eating healthy

Gym includes a healthy diet, so the family members involved in this. Get them to recommend some recipes otherwise change recipes for the month. And be sure to let your children to try some healthy snacks. They might be like that.

Leisure Centers

Visit the local leisure centers and find out what family activities are available. You can try climbing, karate, kickboxing, square dancing and more.

Educate your family

Educate your family about healthy lifestyles and help them to change their bad habits like watching too much TV, snacking too much and so on.

Get some pets

Pets are great fun for the family. Walking with the dog and playing with pets can easily become small exercises of its own. One of the easiest ways for their children to involved with their pets to play with them.

Working Women

#217881 - 09/28/12 05:43 PM Re: Weight Loss Boot Camp [Re: AimeyMalambri]
Boomer in Chief

Thanks for the tips. Don't think any of us have young children still living at home, but I guess we can apply those suggestions to times when grands or nieces and nephews come to visit.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#217890 - 09/29/12 05:58 PM Re: Weight Loss Boot Camp [Re: Anne Holmes]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
May I suggest the obvious, bicycle with the kids..go the community centre..do it several times per wk.

In our social circle, the grandparents go with their grandkids, if young, pull them in a trailer.. it bigger cities with bike paths, you see some of them.

Walk to school /church with them, if the store is only 1 mile away..walk with them to get some light groceries. I did...for many years. I attribute some of my base physique to all of that plus my mother's style of cooking.

#217891 - 09/29/12 08:02 PM Re: Weight Loss Boot Camp [Re: orchid]
Boomer in Chief

You're so right, Orchid. I know you are, because the same thing has worked for me:

I walked to school my entire life. In junior high and high school I lived far enough away to qualify for the bus, but my parents felt it was close enough (just over a mile for junior high, a couple miles for high school) to walk.

The rule according to my Dad was that we walked unless it was 10 degrees or less. On those days, we'd get a ride in the morning. Though still walked home.

Then in college, I walked a couple of miles to get to campus, and of course, walked from building to building for my classes.

With both pregnancies, I walked at least a mile every day, to control the edema in my legs. And once the kids were born, I walked or biked with them daily. (In retrospect, I am not sure it was totally safe when I biked with two kids -- one on my back and one in a child seat) -- since my bicycle had the racing style handlebars, so I was riding in a tucked position... But no harm came to anyone!

These days I don't get anywhere near that level of physical exercise, but I credit my base level of health to all those years of exercise and healthy food. (Oh, my mother was a foods and nutrition teacher, so you can BET I always ate healthy meals. Even now, I still believe I do a good job of creating good healthy home-cooked meals -- though these days we DO eat out for 2-3 dinners a week.)

And, I believed in passing it on: Both of my kids got regular exercise and continue to do so to this day. Tomorrow my son's participating in another half Ironman.

And I love that he is doing it in support of his charity of choice: Team in Training, which benefits the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

I'm even more proud of how well he did with his fundraising for this race: To date he's personally raised 127% of his goal: Woo Hoo!
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#217898 - 09/30/12 01:26 PM Re: Weight Loss Boot Camp [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Congratulations to your son, Anne. Been meaning to ask how your mother is doing? And I agree with the concept that exercise is well worth the effort!

#217902 - 09/30/12 09:13 PM Re: Weight Loss Boot Camp [Re: jabber]
Boomer in Chief

Hi Jabber,

I have good news about my mother. She has been declared cancer free. At the moment her oncologist has her doing quarterly MRI's to keep on top of any further signs of cancer.

She is not happy about that, as she's recently heard how much radiation is involved in a CAT Scan, and she's pretty sure it can't be any better for an MRI. (I have no idea.)

So she is planning on telling the doc she doesn't want to be scanned that often. I don't know what to think of this. She is 82 and in full possession of her faculties, so I am inclined to let her make her own decisions on this.

Of course, I am speaking as a woman whose first husband was once declared cancer-free after being treated for non-Hodgekin's lymphoma. I know THAT recovery didn't even last 5 years... And I recall how devastating it was for him -- barely into his 40s -- to face down the second diagnosis.

But I am thinking positively. I know that cancer treatment has come a long way since then -- Steve's brother, for example, has now had non-Hodgekin's lymphoma for about 10 years. It periodically comes back -- and his docs keep knocking it down.

Thanks for asking about my mother. I am positive that all the prayers from BWS -- added to the prayers her friends and family sent up on her behalf HAD to have been a part of her recovery. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed -- and praying for her to stay well.

At the moment, she uses oxygen at night, and keeps it handy during the day. The surgeon had to remove about half of one of her lungs, so she tires easily -- even gets tired from talking on the phone. So while she is cancer-free, and starting to exercise in the pool again, she is NOT back to her old self.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#217904 - 10/01/12 02:49 AM Re: Weight Loss Boot Camp [Re: Anne Holmes]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
What wonderful news about your Mom, Anne! I understand her concerns about the radiation.

My brother died from Hodgkin's lymphoma...they were never able to get it, despite 8 months of chemo and an autologous stem cell transplant. It was a grueling journey for him. My understanding is that these lymphomas never really go away, they just go into remission for stretches of time. Same with leukemia...I know people who have lived with leukemia for several decades with no symptoms. But there's always the fear of it returning.

Even me, my cancer was caught so early that I didn't even need chemo or radiation, and the prognosis is only 3% chance of recurrence, which is amazing. But there's still always that niggly little fear of metastasis..which is what happened to my Mom despite a clean few years of remission after her breast cancer.

Sigh. It's a beast, this cancer. I'm just always happy to hear when someone has gone into remission. I'll keep her in prayers for continued strength and healing. It takes a long time, if ever, to get stamina and energy back in reliable levels.

(Maya Angelou)

#217906 - 10/01/12 04:00 AM Re: Weight Loss Boot Camp [Re: Eagle Heart]
Boomer in Chief

Thanks for your kind and wise words, Eagle Heart.

I know it's a beast.

I also find that in the 25 or so years it's been since my first husband's second diagnosis, my brain has become foggy on some of the detail of his (Bill's) cancer's return.

One thing I will never forget however, is that when the lymphoma first came back, his oncologist had talked to him about the possibility of going to the Mayo Clinic for some sort of new treatment. The doctor seemed to hold out very high hopes for that particular protocol.

But then tests were done, and Bill learned that his cancer had progressed too far, and he wasn't eligible for the procedure that was being performed.

He'd allowed himself to believe he would be selected for this treatment and he was so crushed when he learned it wouldn't happen. I think being with him when he dealt with receiving that news might go down in my mind as one of the worst moments of my life.

Honestly, I don't think that I have nerve it must take to be an oncologist. Dealing day in and day out with the fight against death by cancer. The highs when one achieves success would be wonderful. But I don't think I could handle the repeated lows that must come when having to deliver bad/crushing news to patients and their families...

Eagle Heart, I'll pray that you never have to experience a remission. You're right: 3% is a wonderfully low number. Blessings!
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved