The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 335 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/16/20 10:33 PM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#83683 - 08/29/06 06:56 PM Re: Favorite Stores? [Re: Anno]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I like to shop in the second-hand stores too - one bonus is that you get to see what the stuff looks like after it's washed!

We just had a new store open in our neighbourhood; it's called "Unclaimed Luggage"...it's all stuff that's been left behind at airports or in lost luggage that was never found and returned to the right owners.

While browsing in there a few days ago, I felt such a deep sadness for the people who lost these things. Most of the stuff was obviously owned by immigrant families, many of whom probably didn't know where to go to claim their luggage, and probably arrived here with little else but the clothes on their backs.

And some of the stuff bewildered me - frying pans (well-used), old dishes, and how do you leave golf clubs and crutches behind - or a wheelchair for that matter?

Anyway, it was a sobering browse, wondering through the scattered remnants of people's lost lives like that.

(Maya Angelou)

#83684 - 08/29/06 08:38 PM Re: Favorite Stores? [Re: Eagle Heart]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
We have two new stores out here called Big Lots and Savers, both are discount chains and the deals are mind boggling. I found so many things to buy and from what I'm told the merchandise changes all the time. But for that special something thats a unique gift for a friend, I still like Pier One...

Edited by chatty lady (08/29/06 08:40 PM)

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#83685 - 08/29/06 09:10 PM Re: Favorite Stores? [Re: chatty lady]
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Oh, Chatty I love Pier One store here . I love walking and not buying anything in that store . Just look , try not to buy anthing

#83686 - 08/30/06 02:59 AM Re: Favorite Stores? [Re: Sadie]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
Anybody else have this problem? You love to go shopping, but there is no more room at home. I don't necessarily mean clothes, I mean things for the house. When shopping there is always something I see, that I'd just love for our house, but then I start thinking where the heck would I put it? So now I try to avoid those stores and just beeline to the clothing stores without looking left or right.
Talking about clothes, how long do you all wait till you throw something out? I have such a problem with that. Can't depart from stuff I haven't worn in years, and my closet is bursting.

#83687 - 08/30/06 09:12 AM Re: Favorite Stores? [Re: Edelweiss]
dejavu Offline
journeyman

I love cleaning stuff out. If I can't use it, I tell myself how much pleasure it might give someone else and I take it to a consignment shop or Goodwill or Christian Ministries. I love opening a closet door and seeing everything as tidy as a magazine picture.

Now, getting my FAMILY to let go of stuff, that's another story.

#83688 - 08/30/06 10:59 AM Re: Favorite Stores? [Re: dejavu]
Eagle Heart Offline

My Mom used to horde stuff, couldn't throw anything away. Her experience was that as soon as she threw it away she would find a need for it again. We skoffed at that.

But alas and woe is me, I've given lots of stuff away in the last couple of years - clothes, books, knick-knacks - and no kidding, now I need some of that stuff back!! I threw away a whole bunch of Mom's piano books - they were worn and tattered and I loved them, but just had to start cleaning stuff out, so gave away the ones I didn't think I'd ever use again. Now our granddaughter is taking piano lessons and one of the pieces of music that she wants is in one of those books I gave away! Same with some old CD's I gave away to a church rummage sale last fall - now GD likes some of that very same music that I gave away!!!

That sort of thing has happened so often lately, that now I'm hesitant to throw too much away. I don't mind giving away clothes, but things like music books, CD's and knick-knacks are difficult (if not impossible) to replace...I guess I'll have to hold on to Mom's stuff a little longer in case the nieces need it later on.

(Maya Angelou)

#83689 - 08/30/06 11:02 AM Re: Favorite Stores? [Re: Eagle Heart]
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
The last clothes shopping I did was at the Gap. I'm mostly a casual person. Jeans, t-shirts, sweaters.
But the shopping we do on a regular basis is at Home Depot and Lowes! I think we're there almost every weekend which doesn't leave me any time for clothes shopping.

#83690 - 08/30/06 11:03 AM Re: Favorite Stores? [Re: Eagle Heart]
Eagle Heart Offline

BTW, we have a Pier One closeby too. When we were redoing our living room, I needed that little extra something to finish the room off - two basket-type thingies to place under the piano to hold magazines and music books. After searching everywhere, I finally popped into Pier One, and voila, there they were, the perfect finishing pieces - and on sale too! They're very simple but eye-catching, and everyone comments on them. They're so much nicer to look at than the two ugly old milk crates that sat there for so many years!

(Maya Angelou)

#83691 - 08/30/06 02:14 PM Re: Favorite Stores? [Re: Eagle Heart]
dejavu Offline
journeyman

I was looking for some place to keep my scrapbooks without having to buy a large bookcase. At Pier One, I found a couple of rattan magazine baskets and paired them up under a table I have behind a sofa (the sofa faces the living room and its back faces the dining room). Each magazine basket will hold four of the large 12x12 scrapbooks, so that makes up to eight that would be accessible whenver I can tie someone down (er, I mean invite someone) to look at them.

So far, I don't HAVE eight finished scrapbooks, but I'm working on it, ladies. I'm working.

#83692 - 08/30/06 07:10 PM Re: Favorite Stores? [Re: dejavu]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Eagle, that must feel odd to walk and consider purchaing one's belongings that I'm sure they wish they still owned. Weird!

Chatty, I love Pier One, but just like Hannelore, I don't need another thing so I rarely go in any more. I don't even look at the catalog when it comes to the house because I don't need anything. My sister shared that when you're finished buying for yourself, you start buying for your kids. I can relate. We already bought our oldest bedroom furniture from Pier One. So on and on it goes!

Renee, do you go to the Pier One by Barnes and Noble? That's the one I would go to if I still shopped there.

TVC, I love the Gap, or should I say used to love it? Now I only like it. I think the quality of some of their clothes has gone downhill. However, I got one of my favorite articles of clothing there last spring. It's a real pretty pink corduroy jacket that's the jean jacket style. I love that darn thing! Can't wait to wear it again this fall.

dejavu, I'm with you on the cleaning out thing. I did it a few years ago and when the new season rolled around, I felt as though I had nothing to wear because I had gotten rid of everything! I need to do it again.

Anno, we have J Jill and Chico's. Another store similar for boomer women in this area is Coldwater Creek. Have you ever been in one of those? Check them out online. I bet you'd like them.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved