The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 221 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/16/20 10:33 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#81433 - 08/19/06 09:53 AM Re: Empty nest & Mom's death [Re: chatty lady]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
DeJaVu
I love where you've gone with this thread. I like your ideas and I've done the same, sorta, kinda...except mine are all on CD's. I was thinking Christmas gifts. So I took pictures of Mom and Dad, their young lives, middle, and the NOW, and put them on CD's with music and viola! Instant Christmas gift for my sisters.

JJ

#81434 - 08/19/06 11:02 AM Re: Empty nest & Mom's death [Re: jawjaw]
dejavu Offline
journeyman

It was a really fun project. On my Dad's side, we were only able to go back to about the 1830's, but we did find information on both grandfathers who fought in the Civil War, which was way cool. We also found a letter written by my dad's grandfather in which he mentions his grandkids as being a 'bully lot'.

On my mother's side, a cousin has done a geneology chart that goes back to the 1600's, but without much data beyond births and deaths. We do however, have a journal kept by her grandfather, circa 1900, when he was a detective in the Detroit police force. So that's pretty interesting. It's also been fun to find photos of relatives that we only remember as elderly, but which show them as young and goofing off.

I like the idea of the CD with music. We have pix on CD but not fancied up with music or anything.

#81435 - 08/19/06 04:11 PM Re: Empty nest & Mom's death [Re: dejavu]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
jawjaw, I'm feeling lazy. I have three sisters and a brother. I'm praying one of them will be the creative ones and I'll get the CD already made for Christmas!

#81436 - 08/19/06 05:19 PM Re: Empty nest & Mom's death
Pam R. Offline

My daughter just did her 1st scrapbooking project for my Mom's 90th Birthday. She researched the 9 decades of my Mom's life and made a lovely book to view at the party. Everyone was amazed. She included all facts and pictures of family and friends during each decade. It brought tears to everyone's eyes, especially the older relatives who were there and could vividly remember so much of the good old days.

#81437 - 08/20/06 01:02 PM Re: Empty nest & Mom's death [Re: Pam R.]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Pam, sounds like you raised a sweet, sensitive daughter. Are all three generations in the same town? If so, that's such a blessing for all of you, and very rare these days.

#81438 - 08/20/06 07:06 PM Re: Empty nest & Mom's death
Pam R. Offline

Yes Dotsie, all three generations are only about 30-40 minutes away. Both my girls and my niece as well are very sweet and loving. They call Grandma to check on her regardless of where they are. The boys, my nephews are wonderful as well. I know we are lucky that we all live a short distance away since so many families are states away. I do see the possibility of things changing down the road and that makes me a bit sad. However, the northeast is very expensive to live. Taxes are astronomical and wouldn't it be great if the girls could stay as "at home moms" and not return to work? I guess that's another thread, but I have such fond memories of being able to be home with my girls growing up.

#81439 - 11/15/06 07:08 PM Re: Empty nest & Mom's death [Re: chatty lady]
nevadaangel Offline

My daughter is gone now too, Lives in Novia socia Canada, I havent seen her in nearly 3 yrs, she was in the Navy for a while, but quit when she met a Canadian Sailor, and now is mom herself to twin boys almost two years old, I lost my mom 2 yrs ago and its still so very difficult at times for me,, My sisters live in Florida, but we call each other once in a while and communicate daily with emails. My husband and I are closer then we have ever been, cause we just get out and do things and have fun, In August it hit us even harder that you just have to do the things you want to do and dont put it off, We had his mom and step dad visiting with us for one day short of a week from Texas we all had a really good time, They went back home and was home for less then a week and he died, he had an anerism in his heart, So we treasure that we had that time together and had fun, and mom treasures the pictures we took, The last pictures made of him smiling and having fun, I havent been able to bring myself to get them scrapbooked yet, And its hard for me not being able to see my daughter and grandchildren, but some how life goes on doesnt it. we just make the best of things, and we have to find ways to bring ourselves a little happiness, sorry this is so long, I will get off the soapbox now

#81440 - 11/16/06 11:14 AM Re: Empty nest & Mom's death [Re: nevadaangel]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
How shocking to have a good friend die a week after he visited you. I know that feeling; we've experienced that too. At the time I felt so grateful that we at least had spent his last few days together. That was a great comfort for me.
Nevadaangel, You do have something, though, that many people don't have. You have a special closeness to your husband. That is a daily present to your self.

"Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake."
-- Victor Hugo

#81441 - 11/17/06 07:02 AM Re: Empty nest & Mom's death [Re: Edelweiss]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Nevada, thank God for email, right? Do you correspond with your daughter online? Have you tried the online camera where you can see one another in real time?

#81442 - 11/18/06 04:28 PM Re: Empty nest & Mom's death
nevadaangel Offline

Dotsie, I didnt know about an on line camera can you tell me the url for it?
I talk to my daughter with msn messenger, when she has time to be on line, the twins keep her busy,

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved