Chatty, you did seem to be attacking groomers, mobile and grooming shops and did seem to be generalizing. Do you honestly think that only good, honest, caring groomers will be licensed? That is as nieve as saying that every doctor that has a degree is good, caring and honest. I agree there are many, groomers out there that have no business being allowed to own a dog, let alone groom one, but that doesn't mean they can't become licensed, and that doesn't mean that we are all like that. You also didn't sound nearly as educated as you say you are. For instance, you recommended asking if your groomer will only use a hand dryer. Hand dryers are very hard to dry a dog with, groomers use stand dryers, when hand drying. That gives you 2 free hands to brush and hold the dog with.

Dogs get cut, that's an unfortunate reality, but when you use very sharp instruments on wiggling sometimes unwilling dogs, tongues stick out when your shaving faces things happen. The best groomer in the world has nicked a dog at one time or another. A piece of paper doesn't mean that accidents won't happen. I will admit to nicking the occasional dog, but I am more likely to cut myself, I probably nick a dog an average of 2 times per year. I have in all my years of grooming never caused more than a small nick, and never injured a dog that needed veterinary treatment, there are many new advances in grooming to guard against clipper burn, trimmers who's blades do not heat up, vac systems that keep blades cool, shaving wet matted dogs that also keep the blades cool. I have never clipper burned a dog because I take all precautions to avoid that.

There is nothing wrong with putting a un-heated fan on a dog in front of their cage, anymore than there is something cruel about having a fan blowing on you. They aren't stressed by it and most seem to enjoy the breeze and take the opportunity to nap, it's a lot less stressful than spending hours on a grooming table. I do it for large breeds, all others get a bathrobe or towel on after their bath to help them dry and keep them warm, then they are placed on a big fluffy towel till I dry them which is usually about 30 minutes. I have put a fan on dogs waiting for their owner and are finished if they are panting, and they seem to appriciate it. I also have a shop where I can see every dog at all times, I'd have it no other way, basically because I want to know how everyone is doing even if it is something as simple as a dog barking at their neighbor, I can move that dog so as not to stress his neighbor. I also have some elderly dogs that do occasionally have sezures, I stop what I'm doing nomatter what it is, or how busy I am, and wrap the dog in a towel, holding him or her close to me till they feel better, luckily this is a very rare occurance. I do not keep elderly dogs more than 1-2 hours, and most of my others are out within 3. They aren't stressed, I see to that, they are comfortable. I also don't do large numbers of dogs, simply because I don't want to rush, when your rushed your stressed, when your stressed accidents are more likely to happen.

Remember, ignorance breeds fear, become educated.

[ June 15, 2006, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: CanineDesign ]