we have had a long line of german shepherds, also a very intimidating dog. we usually have two of them but right now have a shepherd and a border collie.

we like the fact that people back away from our dogs and property but would never keep a mean dog on the place. one night this fall, a young guy who deer hunts here, came to the house to talk to me. he was petting Sage, the shep., when i opened the door and he said, "this is the nicest scary looking dog i've ever seen!" she is 3 years old, a sable with gorgeous markings (tiger stripes on the shoulders)and a little on the spooky side to those who don't know her. she is also one of the gentlest dogs we've ever had but will growl at strangers when i'm in the house alone.

bottom line is, though, that i will never tell anyone that my dog will not bite. i prefer to let most people think she really is scary. if they keep their distance, she is less likely to have enough contact with them to get defensive or startled into a biting situation. i always keep a very close watch on children with her and hold her when they pet her because kids can do things unintentionally that will scare a dog into defensive action. it is always better to be cautious with any breed of dog and people they don't know. they are all pack animals and will take action when their "pack" is under a perceived threat.

[ December 28, 2005, 03:31 AM: Message edited by: flipperjo ]