The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 244 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/16/20 10:33 PM
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#65318 - 07/16/05 03:38 AM Re: Cashiering
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
My daughter and I had dinner in this little place in Ogunquit over the weekend. The bill came to $25. and some change. We both had a $20 bill so I gave the girl the $40. I planned on giving her $30 with the tip but had to wait for the change. She came back with $7 and said she owed me 58 cents. I told her something was wrong, that she owed me more money. She had to get the manager. He started asking what the bill was. I told him. He looked at me strangely and the girl got real nervous. What she did was mix up us and the people at the table next to us. So the manager asked him what his bill was. He took out the change the girl gave him. $17. and some change. He said his bill was $42.something and he gave her $50. The manager said that was right and again looked at me. I'm a writer not a mathemetician, but duh! You going to tell me the guy didn't know the girl gave him too much change in the first place? Of course he quickly pocketed it when the manager said it was right. The girl finally gave me the right change and apologized saying she mixed the two table up, but the other guy just kept the money. [Confused]
Louisa

#65319 - 08/12/05 12:43 AM Re: Cashiering
KAY B Offline

Loc: Long Island, New York
I heard how Home Depot treats their employees! I am a converted Lowes shopper! Even if it is out of my way!!!

HD screwed my order up & the man in charge told me it wouldn't have happened if I didn't change my order in the first place!!! They charged $100 to come measure my kitchen & got it wrong!!!!!!!!

To top it all off....we got the original order!!!
And then 2 weeks later the re-order!!! I wanted to go down there & strangle someone!!!!

It was a bad experience all around!!! For someone spending thousands of dollars--they treated us like dirt!!!

#65320 - 12/08/05 08:11 PM Re: Cashiering
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Oh yes, "ringing them up". That was when cashiers had to know how to count back the change.
Oh and I'm a Jersey Girl, too! Was born/raised there.

I miss it back then.

[ December 08, 2005, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: Di ]

#65321 - 12/09/05 06:08 PM Re: Cashiering
NHJackie Offline

Loc: Merrimack, NH
We used to try to teach the kids in elementary school to count up to make change. None of them understood why they had to. They had never seen a store without scanners. I used to ask them what they would do if the computer went down, which I've seen happen. The young cashiers panic.

#65322 - 12/10/05 05:23 PM Re: Cashiering
MossPatch Offline

Loc: Midwest
My first job was cashiering in a grocery store. I always counted my change back, because my mom (a former retail clerk) told me to if I didn't want to be in debt to the store. My register balanced and balanced and balanced, even when I worked express. The other clerks just took it for granted that they'd have to pay back shortages every night. Duh???

#65323 - 12/10/05 09:28 PM Re: Cashiering
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I can only imagine the insane situation stores today would have with these teens having to press buttons with pictures on them and then being given the right price to charge as well as the correct change to give back and some do that wrong, dah!!! Never happened when I was young and working a register, had to do it all in my head. Whats wrong with this picture?

[ December 10, 2005, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#65324 - 12/10/05 09:50 PM Re: Cashiering
yepthatsme2 Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, Va.
Mall shopping the day after Thanksgiving, I was in Bath and Body Works.
Waited in the long line, the girl rings me up, & totals the amount. When I gave her the money she immediately keyed in the amount, counted the change to herself and put the money in my hand.
Something told me to count what she had given me back. She had actually gave me back $20. to much.
Asked her if she would like some back...she asked for the sales receipt so she could check for how much she needed...

Do they teach how to count back money, anymore?

#65325 - 12/11/05 02:05 AM Re: Cashiering
NHJackie Offline

Yes, they do. But obviously they don't do it very well. Part of the problem, as I said in an earlier post, is the kids' attitude of "Why bother to learn to do this when the machines do it for us?"

It always amazed me how the kids in elementary school would get real unhappy when we didn't let them use calculators. Also the number of first graders who couldn't read a standard clock cause all they'd ever seen was digital. What's wrong with this picture?

#65326 - 12/12/05 03:12 AM Re: Cashiering
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Oh wow. I never thought of the clock. That's amazing.

I heard that someday children will no longer know how to write. They will only use computers and never develop their own handwriting.

#65327 - 12/11/05 05:01 PM Re: Cashiering
NHJackie Offline

Believe it or not, handwriting is still a requirement that is taught every day in the elementary schools in our district. The kids use manuscript printing at first, then switch over to cursive in third grade.

My kids were taught this way, and both of them print almost exclusively now. Their cursive writing is awful! I've been told that's common for people who learned to print first.

I find when I spent a lot of time composing things at the computer, my handwriting deteriorates.

I think it will be a long time before computers make handwriting unnecessary. Most legal documents still require some sort of signature.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved