I thought that it was that way years ago. My parents paid for my first wedding - all of it. My mother-in-law gave me a huge shower and I think she had the rehearsal party, if I remember right. But, it was a party at her house. They didn't do big rehearsal dinners back then. [Eek!]

These days, with costs so out of sight, I think people change the rules around a little. Yes, the kids should pay for some things.

This is from the article I wrote for the newspaper:
Brides Dare to Be Different
Traditionally, weddings have had more rules and regulations over the years than most brides knew what to do with. Years ago, a young bride would be under so much pressure to follow proper etiquette she hardly had time to think about having fun at her own wedding. Other things took precedence, such as the proper wording of invitations, seating arrangements, how many attendants to have, and getting seven bridesmaids to agree on one dress.

A good example of this is one of my all-time favorite movies, Father of the Bride, starring Elizabeth Taylor and Spencer Tracy. The classic 1950 film depicts all the hoopla and commotion surrounding the bride. Tracy portrays a bewildered dad as he writes the checks and tries to figure out how he will pay for the big day. Elizabeth, stressed out from trying to please both sets of parents, almost calls the whole thing off. Somehow it all works out and there’s a happy ending.

Brides have dramatically changed their attitudes since 1950. Today’s brides dare to be different. While some choose to blend the old customs with the new, many opt for tossing tradition aside and making up their own rules. The groom is now included in the decision making and some couples write their own meaningful vows.

Weddings have become a big business. The average cost is easily $10,000 to $15,000 for a modest event. A designer gown, that will be worn only once, can be a big-ticket item, not to mention the cost of the reception, flowers, favors, invitations, a photographer, disc jockey, limos, or a horse drawn carriage. I wonder what Spencer Tracy would think of all this.

[Big Grin] Louisa