The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 252 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/16/20 10:33 PM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#5189 - 04/14/06 01:20 AM Re: college searching
mattie123 Offline

Loc: everywhere USA
Dear Misfire,
I am a retired social worker and also married to a psychiatrist,we have worked together for years. It is none of the college's business if your daughter has depression unless it is Bi-Polar and might manifest itself in mistaken behavior for possible drug/alcohol abuse or if she has suicidal ideations.
These Major Mood disorders are quite different than the typical garden type "depression". One out of 11 people have "depression" whether it is treated properly or not, it is the statistic for this very normal illness. Proper evaluation and medication from a board certified psychiatrist is the appropriate method of treatment for your daughter.
No stigmas should be attached, but until the public is well educated on the subject, it should be kept to herself- that is why everyone is such a stickler on the Privacy in medicine act. If it is plain ole depression- it isn't the school's business. School might hopefully be the answer for her depression.But, usually, it is a chemical imbalance.
Keep a close eye on her and be honest whether or not the issue needs to be made known for your daughter's safety. Remember, the school wants it on record if she is a danger to herself or others. They fear lawsuits. Also, they want to help, medically and counseling wise if need be.It is a tough call. I commend you for asking for assistance.
If I can help further- please let me know.

#5190 - 04/14/06 12:56 PM Re: college searching
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
MIsfire, the younger generation is so muchmore open and honest about depression which I believe is a good thing. It's a generational thing. Our parents' generation was in the closet with it. We came out of the closet and have broken some barries. Our children will do the rest...which is a good thing. As you say, keep repeating it to yourself. I think all of us need to do that.

Mattie, thanks for your professional opinion.

I think the decision should be made by the kids as to whether or not they think the school should know. Hopefully they are mature enough to know if they think the school should know.

#5191 - 05/01/06 03:43 AM Re: college searching
Misfire Offline

About the health forms for college and whether we should include info about my daughter's history of depression and anxiety on the form or not --- I discussed it with my daughter and we decided to tell the college that she's been treated successfully for depression and social anxiety via anti-depressants and psychotherapy.

She will be 380 miles away from home and I want her to be happy and healthy. It's important that other adults are aware of her history so they can help her if she has any episodes. The only way to enlighten people and to lessen the stigma of mental illness is to "own it" and to talk about it. How I wish that anti-depressants existed when I was her age!

#5192 - 05/01/06 06:23 PM Re: college searching
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Misfire, I think you made the right decision. If she were a diabetic you would want them to know. Now they will realize she is comfortable with it and it isn't a big issue because she's actively caring for herself.

Plus, I think it's good for her to begin a support system at school.

[ May 01, 2006, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved