The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 214 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/16/20 10:33 PM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#4493 - 06/27/05 12:47 PM Re: Not sure where this belongs????
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Oh you people are not scaring me....I'm from NY, try driving in Manhattan during rush hour...(Or at 2am) LOL
We've already driven all the way from NC to NY making perfect timing only to get stuck on the Southern State Parkway (on Long Island) for 2 hours.
To be honest though, in all the trips we made back and forth, before and during the move here, the place we hit the most delays and traffic jams was Virginia, near the Richmond area.

I'll count my blessings that we live here now that my son is learning to drive. [Wink]
(it is still nerve wracking though!)

#4494 - 06/27/05 12:52 PM Re: Not sure where this belongs????
TVC15 Offline

OH NO!
the previous post was in response to the other page, I didn't read all the way through, (thought I did)
I'm so sorry to hear about the accident. It is so frightening. My older son had a terrible one not long ago.
I am a firm beleiver in not talking on the cell when you are driving. It is the law in NY but not in NC. I told my family that we will continue to follow the NY law on this one!

#4495 - 06/29/05 02:54 AM Re: Not sure where this belongs????
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Thanks ladies. I just returned from a couple day trip to the beach with my daughter, her beau, and his mom. Lots of fun. Anyway, I'm happy to announce the driving was a breeze. I didn't have any fears after witnessing the accident.

Smile, if I were a doctor, I'd prescribe exercise to all my patients.

#4496 - 06/29/05 03:53 AM Re: Not sure where this belongs????
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Dots, I'm so glad you are not going back to the ptsd. I prayed for you and I'm sure others did as well. Maybe this is a sign you are truly and forever cured.
If I were a doctor I would prescribe exercise too. I think health insurance should cover it. Of course the biggest expens would be the policemen with the big guns to drag us all out every day to do it. [Smile]
smile

#4497 - 06/29/05 01:52 PM Re: Not sure where this belongs????
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
smile, as always, thanks for the prayers.

Funny you should mention the police. I think there's one at my door right now. If not, there should be. I haven't been to Curves inover a week. For some reason I want to quit. Not good!

#4498 - 06/29/05 02:11 PM Re: Not sure where this belongs????
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Knock, knock (no police,just me) Dotsie, why don't you just ease off for a few months and replace Curves with Tennis, walking, etc,

Nothing worse than going somewhere where you don't want to be right now.

In the fall, Curves will be calling you back. September sounds good.

Take a two month Hiatus(sp?)

chick (who needs to practice what she preaches)
[Roll Eyes]

#4499 - 06/29/05 04:36 PM Re: Not sure where this belongs????
Jersey Girl Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Reading this thread, dredged up the horror I lived through in 1998 when my daughter did not return home from work.

I knew something was wrong. I could not fall asleep. She should have been home around 11:30 p.m. At 1:30 a.m her boyfriend showed up and told me she was in the hospital, she had an accident, I asked where and he told me what exit.

I expected her to be in a hospital near the accident, but she had been brought to a hospital two counties over which I knew was a trauma hospital.

My husband and I arrived and she was in and out of consiousness. She was very lucky. She was badly bruised but no internal injuries or broken bones, or life threatening injuries. She didn't know what happened and did not know where she was for the next three days.

This is how the accident happened. There was late night construction on the Garden State Parkway, which is a main highway, 3 of 5 lanes had been shut down into 2 (including the acceleration lane)
this caused the on ramp traffic to immediately move into the traffic flow, however the traffic was at a dead standstill due to the workers and the merge.

My daughter pulled onto the Parkway and sat in the traffic. Her boyfriend was in his car (he was actually driving my daughter's car because she was driving his - they felt his car was safer and he never liked her driving home by herself late at night)two cars behind her. All of a sudden he watched a Chevy Tahoe, traveling at a high speed, crash into his Geo Tracker (with my daughter in it) and caused it to flip over twice, hit two cars (one with each roll), and roll off the Parkway.

The man who hit her never applied the brakes and my daughter just happened to be sitting towards the end of the traffic. It appeared that by the time he realized the traffic was stopped, he swerved to avoid hitting the traffic in the lane he was traveling in and ran into my daughter's car, hitting her at such an angle to propel her car into the air.

Fortunately she had her seatbelt on and the rollbar held. The car had a cloth roof. I saw the car the next day and could not imagine how she had survived the crash.

I went past the accident site the next night at the same time and could not understand how the man did not know traffic was stopped. The floodlights alone from the work crew were enough warning.

What really angered me is the police never gave the driver an alcohol test. The driver and his friends were on their way back from Atlantic City.

This happened in the first month of my daughter's first year of college, so it had set her back a year. It took two years before she regained the full use of her left arm.

I'm sorry to unload this here but I felt it was a safe place to do so.

As parents we focus so much time and worry on OUR child's ability to drive well and obey traffic laws. What happened to my daughter is proof that a driver needs to be just as aware of the drivers around them.

I can't even count how many near accidents I have been in and avoided because I keep an eye out BECAUSE of people on cell phones. It really annoys me when I blow my horn and I get a look as if I broke the offending driver's concentration.

***Note - my friend's father is an attorney and he said that in the past most car accidents were caused by people changing radio stations or smoking. That statistic has been replaced by cell phone use and the numbers are even higher than in the past.

#4500 - 06/29/05 06:39 PM Re: Not sure where this belongs????
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Jersey girl, how horrible for family. Coming from someone who was hit in '04 by a woman speeding OFF of a ramp and T-boned ME, I can relate to the cell phone thing. I saw her coming at me but could do nothing. Your daughter is very fortunate and I'm so happy to hear she is okay. Bless her heart.

Cell phone make you stupid. JJ

#4501 - 06/29/05 06:51 PM Re: Not sure where this belongs????
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
What a scary thing for all of you. I worry about my kids when they're on the road and they are well into their adult years. I'm so glad she's okay.

#4502 - 06/29/05 06:52 PM Re: Not sure where this belongs????
TVC15 Offline

Jersey girl,
I'm so glad that your daughter is doing good but saddened that she had to endure such a horrible thing and at auch a young age.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved