I'd certainly be the first to agree that education takes place outside of school -- I've worked as a garden designer for 14 years without a degree in horticulture or design; I worked as a portrait painter without a degree in art; I taught schizophrenics without a degree in social work.
However, that's not what I was saying. What I am saying is that there are many well educated people in this country with lots of good ideas. But those ideas are actually stymied by industry and by bosses and by state, local and federal governments that want to keep doing things the same old way, thinking inside the little ol' box. Not everyone has the talent to become a business owner and operator, so many must serve those who do, but who don't like to delegate, or who don't like to listen, or who don't like to share power. For example, we've know the science of pollution at least since the 1950s, and yet we continue to pollute. We've known about alternative energy sources at least since the late 1960s, but oil companies continue to buy up patents for solar and wind powered systems. I could go on, but I think anyone reading this can think of other examples.