Dianne and others, With several decades of experience in treating OCD in my practice, it is very true that even without treatment there is an ebb and flow in terms of the severity of the symptoms. Sher had it just right in terms of deciding whether you might have OCD and the website she listed is very helpful. It is interesting that most OCD sufferers find their compulsions (ritualistic behaviors) or obsessions (repetitive thoughts) so much a part of their life...almost "normal" for them...that they don't even bring them up when seeing a therapist or psychiatrist, unless directly asked. Asking about these symptoms should be a routine part of every intial interview with a mental health care provider.

A very good book, one that we use for our OCD group, is "STOP Obsessing" by Edna Foa. It can be useful even for self-help. Medications can also be an important part of treatment (usually the same ones that are used to treat depression and panic symptoms). I usually recommend professional help when the symptoms are greatly interferring with ordinary living. When the symptoms are very mild it is more likely to be obsessive compulsive personality disorder or what we usually refer to as being a "neat freak". But it never hurts to read up on the disorder on the internet to make your own decision about seeking help. Hope this is helpful. Feel free to use this forum if you have other questions...I'm sure there's a lot of expertise floating around, both professional and from fellow sufferers. Doctor Karen