What a great conversation. Drugs and kids. What a topic!

I believe as parents we need to consider the quality of life issue for our children. I have 2 children who take medication for ADD.

I was one of those mothers who SWORE my children would NEVER be medicated. I even talked aobut kids who were. God forgive me! I was ignorant.

I'm afraid of drugs, side effects, long term effects, etc., but there is much to be said for quality of life. If a child can't learn because they are so distracted, they can't do their homework, they are made fun of because they fall behind, they stick out like a sore thumb in the classroom and become the brunt of all bullies. Self esteem drops, withdrawal occurs, and life becomes miserable for some.

Medicine has its place, but only after consulting with pediatricians, psychiatrists, therapists, teachers, and ESPECIALLY the children. They know how they feel.

My youngest son is a great kid. Never a behavior problem, always compliant in class, loved by teachers and peers...but he couldn't focus. He was fortunate in that he didn't have the social issues that some children with ADD have. The older he got, the more distractions at school, the harder it was for him to keep up.

After all kinds of testing (private and through the school system) many doctor's visits, much heartache, and research, we chose to put him on Adderal.

The first day on the medicine, he got in the car and said, "This is the way I've always wanted it to be! I felt like I could writer forever in English." [Big Grin] He sat down and did his homework. The teacher used it as a sample in class to show the other kids what a great job he had done. His self esteem jumped.

By this time he was a Freshman in high school. I felt terrible guilt that I hadn't given him this opportunity sooner. We had him tested in 7th grade and chose to have tutoring done and ignore the ADD. First things first. I could kick myself.

He's a Junior now, is taking the teeniest dose (half of what he started)because he doesn't like how he feels when it's leaving his body, but he knows it helps him with his school work.

The doctor explained that it's very possible he won't need this in the future. It depends on the type of work he chooses. If he gets in some creative field, his quick mind that spins and brainstorms will be an asset. He won't want the medicine. But for now, he needs it.

We must listen to and observe our children continually. We must also talk with them. [Wink]

Thanks everyone for discussing this. It's a topic that's near and dear to my heart.

I can't stand medicating youth, but on the other hand, if it helps, why not?

Now if you see changes that you don't like, or if your child tells you they don't like the medicine then it's not the right medicine for them.

Prayers all around for htose of us who suffer at the needs of our children. [Wink]