The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 256 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/16/20 10:33 PM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#32796 - 05/18/04 10:46 AM Re: Feedback on Phobias, fears and anxities! (Also, a P.S.)
Toni Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Thank you, everyone for your comments and suggestions concerning fears. Faith and prayer can do much when it comes to fears and talking and sharing with others, helps tremendously.

As Dean Martin used to say, "Keep those cards and letters coming in..."

I appreciate each written thought and will incorporate them into my book, only upon your approval....

Thank you so much, just reading your thoughts and feelings, helps more than you know...

Toni

#32797 - 05/18/04 11:40 PM Re: Feedback on Phobias, fears and anxities! (Also, a P.S.)
Agate Offline

Loc: Minnesota
Like Sandra, I am sometimes afraid of my horses because of an accident I had with one when I was getting on him. For awhile I dreaded riding and sometimes couldn't make myself do it. When I did force myself to ride, I always felt so great afterwards. I recorded the good feelings I had after riding to read the next time I felt like avoiding it.

I also rented a bunch of John Lyons (horse trainer) tapes and practiced his techniques. Educating myself about being safe, working with my horses on the ground, and making my horses stand perfectly still while I practiced getting on and off them over and over really helped. With each success, I get more confident. My next hurdle is getting over the fear of speed turning into a runaway situation.

And why bother? Why not just quit riding? How can it be any fun if you're afraid of it? Because, like I said, when I do ride, I feel great. I love the horses and the outdoors and it gives me a feeling of confidence, that I've accomplished something. I think that's what anyone trying to overcome a fear discovers and why it's so worthwhile.

#32798 - 05/18/04 11:46 PM Re: Feedback on Phobias, fears and anxities! (Also, a P.S.)
Julie Offline

Loc: Australia
Agate, A bit like submitting writing, isn't it? Facing the fear of rejection, but the confidence boost of something accepted that makes it worthwhile?

#32799 - 05/19/04 11:19 AM Re: Feedback on Phobias, fears and anxities! (Also, a P.S.)
Toni Offline

Hi Julie,

I agree with what you wrote, "Agate, A bit like submitting writing, isn't it? Facing the fear of rejection, but the confidence boost of something accepted that makes it worthwhile?"

It is that 'boost of something accepted' that makes taking that chance of writing or any life event, 'worthwhile.'

Thank you, Julie.

--------------------

#32800 - 05/19/04 11:25 AM Re: Feedback on Phobias, fears and anxities! (Also, a P.S.)
Toni Offline

Hi everyone,

I just want to express my 'thanks' to everyone who is posting on this 'phobia' site. It is so uplifting and inspiring to read about those who have concerns and share how they are coping with such problems.

For years, I have suffered with O.C.D. and a phobia when driving long distances and by myself. I am doing better but I notice when I'm tired and stressed, both the O.C.D. and driving are much worse. When I get some sleep both phobias are lessened and I feel more in control.

Do any of you feel the same way, concerning sleep and stress and how it exaggerates phobias or anxieties?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Toni

#32802 - 05/19/04 12:22 PM Re: Feedback on Phobias, fears and anxities! (Also, a P.S.)
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Toni,
Sounds like your fear might be in response to a physiological change. I have noticed especially as I get older that I am much more easily provoked to anxiety when I am hungry, tired, in pain, or under some other physical stress.

Maybe something of interest to your readers would be the physiology of fear (i.e. how it affects and is affected by body chemistry).
Nurses know that anxiety (fear) can be produced by pain, bleeding, blood sugar changes, drug reactions, shock, and many other conditions.
In the same way that physical changes produce fear, fear can produce physical changes. The normal reaction to fear is the production of adrenalin. It prepares our body for fight or flight and affects our entire system. If that fight or flight impulse is suppressed, as it must often be in a 'civilized' society, it can become a major source of stress.

Rapid eye movement has proven to be therapeutic for one of the diseases of fear, (Post Trauatic Stress Disorder-PTSD). I believe it works because it tricks the body into believing it has responded to the object of fear by running away.

Anyway, it seems that any book about fears and phobias should address not only psychological, but the physiological factors.
Of course God is in charge and can change it ALL.
Just a thought.
smile

[ May 19, 2004, 09:49 AM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#32803 - 05/19/04 07:06 PM Re: Feedback on Phobias, fears and anxities! (Also, a P.S.)
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Another thought to consider might be why fears are worse at night.

I experienced post traumatic stress syndrome after having been in a car accident. I was having a rough time sleeping, and the middle of the night was often unbearable. My mind would get rolling with a negative thought and I would have to get up and do something so I wouldn't create another tragedy in my mind. It was exhausting.

You ladies are right about concerns and fears. If it was a real fear I wouldn't even let my kids take driver's ed.

I think it's important to keep our minds busy and have a life while our kids are teens so we don't end up basket cases from worry.

#32804 - 05/19/04 09:36 PM Re: Feedback on Phobias, fears and anxities! (Also, a P.S.)
Toni Offline

Hi everyone,

I posted, at least I thought I did,---maybe a glitch--individual postings to many of you but it didn't come through. So, I wanted to say to everyone who has responded to this subject, "a big thank you!" Your replies and responses have been great and very helpful.

When I post these entries in my book, I feel certain your messages of hope and encouragement will help many.

Thank you and again...'keep those cards and letters coming in....

Toni

#32805 - 05/19/04 09:46 PM Re: Feedback on Phobias, fears and anxities! (Also, a P.S.)
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Dotsie,
I know what you mean aboout fears being worse at night. I wonder why that is. There's a condition in the elderly called sundowner's syndrome where they become very agitated as the sun goes down. I've seen a lot of that in the hospital for sure. No one seems to know why or how to treat it. Maybe it's just some God given protection from the dangers of the darkness.

I can understand your experiencing PTSD after a car accident. Been there. But what was even worse for me was the Murrah Bombing. I do not understand why. I was not personally in danger. It just shook my very foundation.
After the bombing I got recruited to a Harvard study of Eye Movement Desensitization Reorientation (EMDR) which was conducted on many of the rescuers and survivors. (BTW I previously incorrectly referred to EMDR as rapid eye movement therapy-I'm goofy).
I was astounded at the way EMDR eased my stress and helped me sleep. The very first time they did it, I went home and slept soundly for the first time in months.
Since then, I've seen it used in other people and it sure seems to help. My personal theory is that it tricks the body into thinking it has run away/escaped the danger. It kind of looks like what you see when you're running when they do it.
When a friend was very ill and full of fear, I took him on a long train ride which seemed to have the same effect. He slept for the first time in weeks. I thought it tricked his body into thinking he had escaped the cancer that was threatening him.
And I've learned that running or riding fast just before going on stage helps with stage fright. It's weird, but it makes you much calmer. Probably the same concept of escaping the object of your fear.
Works for me!!
smile

#32806 - 05/19/04 10:49 PM Re: Feedback on Phobias, fears and anxities! (Also, a P.S.)
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I have a water phobia that can be traced to almost drowning when I was 7. I have no desire to swim so I really don't care if I get over it or not because I'm only affected when my face in underwater, which is like never. Technically I know how to swim. Technically I also know CPR and I pray to God I never have to do either.

I had anxiety attacks for several months before a surgery which I subconsciously didn't want to have. I didn't have it, it wasn't necessary after all, and the anxiety went away.

Ever since I can remember I've been afraid of fire. I freak out and can't light the little paper matches but have forced myself to learn to light the wood ones, just in case I ever need to. I was never burnt in this lifetime but believe I died in a fire at least once prior.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved