The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 227 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/16/20 10:33 PM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#32807 - 05/20/04 01:34 AM Re: Feedback on Phobias, fears and anxities! (Also, a P.S.)
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Toni, I'm not sure this fits into your last comments but when I am over tired I get what I would call, jittery!! I feel shaky inside and my usually strong confidence in myself goes South. I feel nervous and unsure of everything going on around me. I cry at tghe drop of a hat, whether the situation is a happy one or sad one. Its the weirdest feeling. All I can do in pull the covers over my head and sleep. Once rested, theres no stopping me. I'm happy, confident and go out of my way to help others. Everyone that knows me says I'm so smart and in tune with the earths energy and thats because I never let anyone see me tired. [Frown]

#32808 - 05/20/04 04:02 PM Re: Feedback on Phobias, fears and anxities! (Also, a P.S.)
Toni Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Again, I want to express my thanks to all of the entries--especially Speakermom and her advice on Children's Fears, Similnize and her comments on physological concerns, Dotsie and experiencing fears at night, Meridithhead and 'water phobia'--which I can definitely relate to (almost drowned once), and Chatty Lady and getting a 'jittery feeling' when she overly tired. This, too, I can relate to. Don't know if this is excelered blood pressure, overdoing or needing something like O.J. to refresh. Good point!

These are all great comments and I will definitely be sharing these thoughts in my book.
Thank you all so much!

Again, keep those cards and letters coming in....

Toni

#32809 - 05/20/04 04:56 PM Re: Feedback on Phobias, fears and anxities! (Also, a P.S.)
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Meredith's water phobia reminds me of mine. I have a pool and love to go in and cool off, but rarely ever swim because it scares me when my feet won't touch bottom. I love jet skiing though, even the tumping over and going under and my feet definitely can't touch bottom.
I think I inherited a fear of water from my mother who would never let me go in over my knees even though we were at the lake and river constantly. (Of course I went in over my head when Mom was not around)

I think Chatty's increased fear with fatigue is common. When we're tired, our brains are tired too and on some level we know we are somewhat helpless.

Another fear factor for me is pain. I can usually ignore my way past pain, but when it's severe and prolonged, I'm more fearful and less confident. Probably another natural god-given brain thing.

This fear topic is interesting. Should be a great book.
smile

#32810 - 05/20/04 05:05 PM Re: Feedback on Phobias, fears and anxities! (Also, a P.S.)
chatty lady Offline
Writer

As you all know I am i nthe pool daily and yet have a terrible fear of water on my face. I never go where my feet don't touch bottom or into a iver or lake where I can't see the bottom. I love the water, the sound, the feel and the smell so long as my feet touch bottom and I can see it.... [Eek!]

#32811 - 05/20/04 10:19 PM Re: Feedback on Phobias, fears and anxities! (Also, a P.S.)
Julie Offline

Loc: Australia
I was feeling down once and was speaking to a "man of the cloth" and he most sensibly asked me...have you been getting enough sleep? Sleep is healing and we often need more than we let ourselves have. I usually feel much better about problems in the morning after sleeping than in the dark of night.

Re phobias: I guess I have a mild form of social phobia related to being a HSP - I can sit and the car outside and nearly not go into a book club meeting at a stranger's house even though I am invited and expected because I am scared of new people/situations. Walking into a new place full of new people gives me great trouble. But these days I take some deep breaths and make myself do it. But if I am feeling tired or low for other reasons I am tempted to give these situations a miss.

#32812 - 05/20/04 11:56 PM Re: Feedback on Phobias, fears and anxities! (Also, a P.S.)
chatty lady Offline
Writer

This topic fasinates me and I went out to the pool and in that seren atmosphere I asked myself the question, what is your greatest fear...I actually have 3. Three is fear of water as stated above. Two is Cancer and all that goes with it, hospitals etc. But the first and worst I believe is growing old. Looking old and feeling old. I doubt I will grow old gracefully. [Frown] I find myself saying; If I were 34 or 44 or even 54 this (whatever situation I find myself in) would not be a problem. For instance starting to write so late in life and when a story is rejected I say to myself, don't have the time to diddle around, it has to happen soon. So growing old is my greatest fear....and the illness's that come with old age sometimes... [Mad]

#32813 - 05/21/04 11:55 AM Re: Feedback on Phobias, fears and anxities! (Also, a P.S.)
Toni Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
I want to again thank you all for your replies, insight and suggestions of help, concerning phobias.

Smilinize's comments on water phobia are insightful and helpful, Chatty's comments on fears of aging and water are honest and eye-opening and Julie's words about sleep, timely and extremely helpful.

Thank you, all! All of your comments are helpful not only for my book but for all of us!
Phobias don't feel like the 'giant' they once were. It's amazing what the written word can do, physically, mentally and spiritually.

Thank you!

#32814 - 05/21/04 11:56 AM Re: Feedback on Phobias, fears and anxities! (Also, a P.S.)
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Chatty, maybe I can help a little with the growing old fear.

There is a kid's book called People, by Peter Spier. It was one of my favorite books to read to my children. It explains how everyone is different and for good reason. In the end it said something like...and in the end we all die.

The way it's written struck me. We're all born and we all die. No one gets out alive.

Growing old and dying is as much a part of life as being born and living. I'm a faithful person and believe I'm heading to heaven to live life eternally. I know it's far better living than this earth. I'm not afraid to die. I just hate leaving my loved ones behind.

The hard part is the possibility of being sick before dying. I don't like that thought one little bit. I saw my mom suffer and it was hard, but we all got through it and learned so much in the process. We drew closer to one another and continued to find the blessings in the worse situations.

I guess I don't want you to be afraid of growing old because there is grace in every part of life. Our job is to find it, young or old.

#32815 - 05/21/04 12:01 PM Re: Feedback on Phobias, fears and anxities! (Also, a P.S.)
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Here's one of my fears and when I'm in my right mind I can rationalize this away, but I do think of it. Fortunately it doesn't keep me from doing things with my husband, but the thought does cross my mind...

What if something happens to both my husband and me? Something as in we are both killed in a car, plane, train accident...

Any other mother have this fear?

This can happen any time we walk out the door and get in the car together.

I ignore it and try to push it to the far recesses of my mind, but it jumps out every now and then. Anyone else have this fear who has kids living at home?

#32816 - 05/21/04 12:53 PM Re: Feedback on Phobias, fears and anxities! (Also, a P.S.)
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Boy seems like this fear thing has really touched us all. I think I have them all at different times. But then I am a general all around wimp.

Or maybe we're all full of courage because as women we not only deal with our fears, but the whole family's.

This should be a very popular book, maybe a best seller. Go Toni!!!
smile

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved