The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 260 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/16/20 10:33 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#24506 - 09/20/05 02:17 PM Re: Hello from Arizona
Pam Kimmell Offline

Loc: Warrenton, Virginia
Welcome Bookie! Glad you found us here on Dotsie's great website. I've only been to Arizona once - on vacation for two weeks with my hubby. We stayed in Scottsdale and drove up to the Grand Canyon - saw the Painted Desert - all those things "tourists" do when they are "out west".....loved the entire experience. I know nothing about Lake Havasu but from what the other ladies have said and your description - sounds like a BEAUTIFUL place! I too am a morning person - I get up around 4:30 or 5AM (thanks to my cat Sam!!) and enjoy the quiet before everyone ELSE starts their day. It's my best "writing time" too.

Anyway - welcome and enjoy exploring the forum - it's a great spot to talk about anything and everything.

#24507 - 09/20/05 02:38 PM Re: Hello from Arizona
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Bookie, I love what you have to say in your signature. That's perfect!

#24508 - 09/21/05 03:04 AM Re: Hello from Arizona
Bookie Offline

Loc: Arizona
quote:
Originally posted by smilinize:
Bookie,
I've only been to Lake Havasu once, but it was a very interesting place and brings back memories. I used it for a scene in a novel.

I was driving cross country and somehow got talked into driving to Lake Havasu. Boy that's a long drive and if you want scenery, you have to love sand and cactus. Also very hot. Stayed in a hotel with a gold leafed carriage in the lobby and jet skied on the lake. Interesting experience.

It must be an interesting place to live. It seems so much a world of its own.

WElcome
smile

#24509 - 09/21/05 03:49 AM Re: Hello from Arizona
Bookie Offline

Loc: Arizona
Smilinize
The London Bridge Resort is where you stayed when you visited here.
Many years ago Mr. McCulloch of McCulloch Chain Saw paid a few million dollars to bring the London Bridge over from England and piece by piece reconstructed the Bridge right here in river city.
You are right about needing to enjoy desert and cactus to live here. Ironically, I don't like rocks and cactus and I miss the green surroundings of the Northwest and Utah. But my husband does not tolerate the cold very well.
After six years I have become accustomed to the hot weather..."it's a dry heat" but this year I have really suffered since I have entered the wonderful world(yah right!) of menopause!
If it were not for the beautiful lake, I would not be able to live here.
Havasu was established in the 1960's and population has grown rapidly - up to about 50,000 now. A great place for Snowbirds and Tourists however we lack so much. For department stores, we have a small JC Penny, Dunlaps, KMart, WalMart and a lot of restaurants! Whoopee! Needless to say we have to go to Phoenix or Las Vegas to really go shopping. Las Vegas is about 2 1/2 hours away Phoenix about 3 hours. It is very expensive to fly in and out of Havasu so we usually drive to Vegas and fly out there.
If any of you decide to come to visit, please let me know. It would be great to meet you in person.
Havasu is full of some very interesting people and I'm sure that with a little digging you could come up with some great material for your books and writings!
Like every city, Havasu has its great attractions but also has it's problems...especially political!
Just went through a recall election and booted out the Mayor, Vice Mayor and council members. My opinion...we just went from bad to worse! Makes me wonder if maybe some folks have been here too long and their brains have been fried by the 120 degree temperatures.
Well I can feel the soap box inching under my feet so I better get to work.
Have a great day everyone!

#24510 - 09/20/05 04:15 PM Re: Hello from Arizona
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Bookie,
I remember the London Bridge in Lake Havasu, but had forgotten the name of the hotel. Thanks for reminding me.

When I was in London, the Londoners called some bridge "the London Bridge." I said I thought the London Bridge had been moved to Arizona and they laughed at me. They said somebody made a lot of money by selling the guy in AZ a bill of goods and the real London Bridge was still in London.

I just wondered if that is true. ?

I think I read that the lake is manmade and even the palm trees are imported. But Lake Havasu is a beautiful place and such a surprise after all the driving through nothing to suddenly come upon such a big blue lake. And the horizon seems to go on forever.

Keep cool.
smile

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved