Wheras you learn as an adult some of colonlisation facts we Scots had it inbuilt..from an early age.hence the grounded knowledge most Scots have..it best explained through humour...too long to describe here.
Even in music we learned through our national poet Robert Burns..politics...and love..indeed Russians have adopted Burns due to his stance.Folk music nd lyrics tell of emigration..Bothy ballads.(farmlads music and song) tell of the times and importantly how the serfs viewed their "betters".There are many ways of viewing identity...
There are many styles of learning and teaching and for me it is a lifelong process.
The US constitution was in part written by a Scot..an outstanding Miinister who was invited to work at Princeton..his teachings mirrored those known here.
Neil Oliver has recently mde a TV series explaining clearly what Scotland was and is..it has me riveted and his podcasts feature in thi home..we delve and discuss..go places buy books..visit resources..go to Heritage lectures..

That is why the ommision of Scotland even during this discussion causes me to move into lecturer mode..