The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 159 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/16/20 10:33 PM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#182475 - 05/18/09 09:50 AM Re: "In God We Trust"...shall we vote? [Re: chatty lady]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
I agree with the last two post regarding [bowing to money]; but
IMO still think "In God We Trust" should remain!

#183466 - 06/01/09 01:48 AM Re: "In God We Trust"...shall we vote? [Re: jabber]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I'm not offended by money saying "In God We Trust" -- but when I really think about, it's kinda weird. Like, what does God have to do with money? And why do we need to declare our allegiance to God ... on money?

Isn't there some Biblical saying about "Money is the root of all evil?" So if it's evil, why do we want God's name all over it?

Poet and essayist

#183474 - 06/01/09 09:40 AM Re: "In God We Trust"...shall we vote? [Re: meredithbead]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
I believe that the "In God We Trust" is due to the founding fathers "founding" this country on Godly principles. Which is why it's imprinted on there. I could be wrong...if someone knows differently, please reply!

Here is that verse:

1 Timothy 6:10
For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

Boy, this sounds like the huge corporations of today that have been filing for bankruptcy protection!

#183476 - 06/01/09 10:02 AM Re: "In God We Trust"...shall we vote? [Re: Di]
Ellemm Offline

The In God We Trust wasn't put on coins until the Civil War, so I'm a bit unclear as to the direct connection between the founding fathers and the money. If it makes people feel good, fine, but I'm personally adverse to pretending that secular things are religious because I think it cheapens religion: slap a symbol on and you're good to go kind of thinking. I guess I just never think anything spiritual when I look at money -- only business.

And I think the love of money problem starts from the ground up. We may be coping with huge corporations that have gone belly-up due to incompetence or greed, but all kinds of 'small' people, have signaled loud and clear that they might put a religious phrase on the money, but they really covet the money -- in any form.

I get to think about this because my state is getting ready to place a 10 Commandments monument on the Capital grounds -- to remind us of our Godly principles and our laws. I think the 10 Commandments are an excellent prescription for good living; too bad we don't pay much attention to them. Oh, we have laws against killing and stealing, but so does every other society. We don't have laws establishing the Sabbath as a holy day (we used to, but even Christians aren't inclined to halt opportunities for business anymore), we don't have laws against adultery (or if we do, they're not enforced), we have no laws directing people to honor their parents, not to swear, establishing God, forbidding idols, etc.

I will be glad to see the monument erected, but I will also be glad to come back in a few years and see if it has changed anyone's behavior or has just made people feel good about themselves. If the values are not inside you, sticking them on the lawn or on the money isn't going to put them there. At least that's what I think.

#183480 - 06/01/09 11:25 AM Re: "In God We Trust"...shall we vote? [Re: Ellemm]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
I totally agree, Ellemm. What "good" is a monument if the words/actions do no follow. Sorta like "walking the talk". Or put your money where you mouth is etc.

Edited by Di (06/01/09 11:26 AM)

#183481 - 06/01/09 11:34 AM Re: "In God We Trust"...shall we vote? [Re: Ellemm]
Madelaine Offline

Loc: Pacific Northwest
Great post, Ellemm!

#183486 - 06/01/09 12:57 PM Re: "In God We Trust"...shall we vote? [Re: Madelaine]
jabber Offline

It depends on your thought processes, Ellemm. If a person goes on the premise that everything comes from God, and
you can't own anything unless you have the money to buy it, then
money 'n God relate. It's a matter of self-talk, how you were
raised, and your environment. IMO...

Edited by jabber (06/01/09 04:49 PM)

#183524 - 06/02/09 08:00 AM Re: "In God We Trust"...shall we vote? [Re: jabber]
Ellemm Offline

That's most interesting. I guess I'd think that if that's the case, why isn't In God We Trust on just about everything? Our debit cards, our soaps, our clothing, our pencils? (I'm not being a smart aleck; I'm genuinely curious.)

Now that I'm thinking about it, I'd be of the philosophy that everything may come from God indirectly, but we're expected to get off our duffs and earn our money (stuff) or help others who cannot. Even if you don't believe in God you have to go get your own money, so I'll have to admit I still find it a bit odd. As a part of our history, sure. As something to take literally, not for me. Knowing how fallible we (me) are, it's just way too easy for us to decide the opposite: we like money and we like God, so both must be fine.

Edited by Ellemm (06/02/09 12:02 PM)

#183551 - 06/02/09 11:12 AM Re: "In God We Trust"...shall we vote? [Re: Ellemm]
jabber Offline

Ellemm,
I get where you're coming from. But my point was it depends
on personal backgrounds, religious exposure, etc. I still think
the founding fathers, built constitutional laws and this country
with God centered focus. Humans are God's earthly hands and feet, naturally. And I know you're not trying to be a smart aleck. You believe what you believe. And I do, what I do. That's how it is. The problem for me is, if I didn't believe in God and The Hereafter, I don't think I could deal very well with world shenanigans.

Edited by jabber (06/02/09 01:13 PM)

#183637 - 06/03/09 05:56 PM Re: "In God We Trust"...shall we vote? [Re: jabber]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Theres an old saying that is appropriate always:

It is better to live your life as if there is a God, even if not,
than to live your life as if there wasn't a God, and when you die, find out there is!!!!

Or something like that...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved