I just recently purchased a scanner type thing from HSN I believe. I'll be getting it next week I think. It does not use the computer and only scans up to a 4 x 6 picture. However, it scans it right to a memory disk. So all those old smaller pictures we can put on disk and have them complete. You know the kind of memory chip for cameras. I'll let you all know how it does.

I've got tons of pictures also that need put on memory chips. I can't find the negatives to most of them and they are old black and whites also.

I've got them in boxes and albums and am working on special scarpbooks for some of the pictures to showcase them.

Before you just dump pictures, go through them and ask your historical societies if they'd like some of them. You'd be amazed the type of information they collect. Especially if the pictures can be used as historical information. I've got pictures from one of my Aunts and I don't know a soul in them, but I believe they are from when the men came home from WWII. She didn't want them, but they are from an important time. Also remember that the pictures might be used for the type of clothing, activities, events, looks of the town, etc as historical information.
www.tidedancer.com