The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 108 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/16/20 10:33 PM
Page 14 of 28 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 27 28 >
Topic Options
#169214 - 12/28/08 04:24 PM Re: Racism in America [Re: chatty lady]
seek Offline

Loc: mother earth
wow. very chilling. such good questions.
be well,
and all manner
of thing
shall be well.

dame julian of norwich - 14th century - mystic

#169230 - 12/28/08 06:31 PM Re: Racism in America [Re: seek]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
woooow chattie good one but also one id have to think of for a bit. Even aftyer thinking i am not so sure i am qualified on any level to give an oppinion. As always id have one but id be unsure if my oppinion was misguided and misinformed.

the onlie thing and its question that pops to mind is that we bring them up and someweer their peers become more important to them (teenagers) than we do, or what we told them (perminent and or temporarily) so peer culture and that groups views oppinions and idols are more important than wheat we told them to va;lue.

The serioal killers etc just so big an area i would't know weer to start on that one and you'd have to bringing in the whole nature nurture and mental illness into the equasion also. In even hate putting mentall illness into that line as many people suffore from a mentaial illhealth but arn't harmfull to themselfs or others. Unfortunitlie some types or personalities with mental illness are wayyy harmfull.

Again the whole disabilitie and mental illness and stereotypes and perceptions is as contriversal and as biased an area as racisum is.

#169231 - 12/28/08 06:52 PM Re: Insanity in America [Re: chatty lady]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
From Soccrates, around 500 B.C.:

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

ATTRIBUTION: Attributed to SOCRATES by Plato, according to William L. Patty and Louise S. Johnson, Personality and Adjustment, p. 277
(1953)."

#169234 - 12/28/08 07:13 PM Re: Insanity in America [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
celtic_flame Offline

Loc: Belfast/Northern Ireland
seriouslie! thats quotes 2500 years old but could still fit today lol.

kids ben getting such a bad press eh!

those same kids did bring about a lot of well bneeded change in one hand but the other hand, well ther just being kids.

cheers dolphine for finding that quote kinda puts things in persepective and i personalie find it as funnie as hell

#169246 - 12/28/08 08:01 PM Re: Insanity in America [Re: celtic_flame]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
DD, this is amazing. Have times really changed all that much?

However, I must stand up for our youth. They do not all fit this description. I know many 20-somethings who are loving, caring, and responsible citizens.

chatty, I think peers have a lot to do with it, also genetics, self-esteem, IQs, a connectedness to family, others and God, and so much more.

DJ started another thread about boomers being role models. Our youth and young adults need us. For the good of humanity, we all need to mentor younger generations. Everyone needs to feel loved and encouraged.

#169267 - 12/28/08 08:32 PM Re: Insanity in America [Re: Dotsie]
MustangGal
Unregistered

I believe most criminals were abused as a child. Hurt people, hurt people. Anger can be very destructive, even murderous.

#169272 - 12/28/08 08:39 PM Re: Insanity in America [Re: Dotsie]
Mama Red Offline

Loc: Wauconda, IL
Yes, there are some "kids" or young folks are who are disrespectful, out of line, a pain in the butt, etc. And I, personally, have a thing about an "all" or "almost all" as a description of any group...women, men, youngsters, teens, whatever the designation.

I've had the true blessing of meeting many different young people who are crying out for support and understanding and a guide to help them on their way. In my opinion, and that is what it is, lumping ANY group of people together negates their individual gifts and possibilities of what they can bring to the world.

To me, it is no different than my parents' generation lumping "ALL" of us in one group and saying that we're all going to hell in a handbasket. Yes, some of us did, some of us didn't, some of us may still be on our way (see my raised hand...grin).

Isn't it the following generation's "job" to irritate, challenge, rebuke, test, and try us? From the Socrates' quote, it sure seems that way to me!

Many years ago, my son (Matt) was driving me positively bonkers and he was saying the same to me. I was old fashioned, controlling, out of it, blah, blah, blah...and he was all of 9-10 years old. Out of my mouth fell "that's in the parent/kid contract we signed". Smarty pants that he was said "I'm too young to sign a contract". I reminded him of the footprint on his birth certificate. And, ever since then, when things have gotten tough between us, we remind each other that it is in the contract!

Maybe there really is one! And maybe it is our "job" to help them see where they could make other choices, become more of the gift they came here to be, be in greater contribution than they originally thought they could be.

Edited by Mama Red (12/28/08 08:41 PM)

MamaRed (Jerilynne)
www.mamaredspeaks.com
www.onemillionacts.com
Coming Summer 2009 "Kick-Butt Kindness: 52 No Cost Ways to Ripple Kindness 'Round the World"

Let's create Kick-Butt-and-Take-Names Lives!

#169276 - 12/28/08 08:43 PM Re: Insanity in America [Re: ]
seek Offline

i think it has to do with the development of the soul. in my belief system, some souls are not developed much and don't understand basic cause and effect - karma, if you will.

many people are hurt who don't murder, then there are spoiled brats who commit heinous crimes . . . the sociopaths. why? i don't know but suspect they are just not very far along in their soul development.

from a practical standpoint it does not make sense to hurt others - nothing good can ever be gained from it. those with a conscience know this and try to rectify errors they make in lashing out in anger in hurtful ways.

but some people do horrible things and are never sorry. they have no empathy. it is not always or maybe even ever the fault of parents.

i believe each soul has its own path and that we are all responsible for our actions in this world, whether we were abused or not.
be well,
and all manner
of thing
shall be well.

#169277 - 12/28/08 08:47 PM Re: Insanity in America [Re: seek]
seek Offline

"On Children
Kahlil Gibran

Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them,
but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.

You are the bows from which your children
as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite,
and He bends you with His might
that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let our bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
For even as He loves the arrow that flies,
so He loves also the bow that is stable."
be well,
and all manner
of thing
shall be well.

#169304 - 12/29/08 06:14 AM Re: Insanity in America [Re: seek]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Some great observations ladies...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

Page 14 of 28 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 27 28 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved