Someone asked about Trader Joe's and I can't remember where, so I'm posting here as Food topics fits under Diet. This is my favorite store so here's a brief history and description.

They started in Pasadena 30-40 years ago (hey, I'm not their PR person, so that's close enough.) For at least 10 years, they were only in Southern California but then expanded throughout the state. I believe they've moved to other states only in the last 10 years or so.

They carry health and specialty foods, cheese, nuts,wine, imported beer, vitamins, produce and a small selection of personal and pet products. They're smaller than the typical health food stores (at least the ones here) because they usually stock only one version of a given product; i.e., they have soy cheese enchiladas and real cheese enchiladas, but only one brand of each. At least half of what they carry is either their own private label, or a product made specifically for them. A lot of their stuff is not available elsewhere. I find their prices to be better than both other health food stores and supermarkets, for comparable quality.

My favorites are the many vegetarian (no additives or preservatives) frozen nukable entrees. They come in various ethnic cuisines and fusions. Second favorites are their frozen desserts (cheese cake, mousse cake, etc.)