I believe it's only confined to wireless, Hannelore. I get pinged by the security installed in my laptops, then I was instructed by our ISD fellow at the firm on how to encrypt (?) to find out who has logged in. Physically, it's quite easy to spot these people because sometimes they're right outside the property, as I said, sitting in their cars. Other times, they could be within a mile-radius of the hot spot.

My desktops have a separate connection from my broadband hub. But, as they are in fixed corners, i.e. study and bedroom, I obviously can't enjoy the mobility laptops offer. Wireless theft has been a problem in London since the '90's although at that time, it used to be restricted to companies. The problem has, however, encroached on residential premises and subscriptions. The price we pay for progress! We have actually formed a neighbourhood watch against these sort of activities. There's really no way to avoid wireless theft but, prosecution hopefully provides a deterrent.

P.S.

I have CCTV in my property which is hooked up to one of the channels in my TV, so it makes it easy to spot these people from inside my house. Then, I call the police to investigate.

Edited by Lola (11/22/07 05:15 PM)