1. If we are on the upper end of the scale & haven't biked for ages, how would we get started and do as little harm as possible to our bodies?

It is recommended that you use a bike that fits you. Do drop by several bike stores. Not Walmart. You can always go home and try cycling the one that you have already to compare. But keep in mind, during first few days of cycling, you will be abit sore. Go only a few miles first time. And helpful if you aren't comfortable to go with another cyclist who bikes abit more often.

A helmet is highly advisable. Later you might want to wear sunglasses so that bugs and dirt don't suddenly blind you while biking.

I would not recommend a beach cruiser bike for regular bike rides. A bike with several different bike gearing speeds is most helpful, to help you go up and down little hills, or to cope with a headwind. Even a bike over 20 gear speeds is helpful. You will thank yourself, believe me.

Wear looser clothing that don't have thick seams that chafe. ie. wearing jeans, unless very loose is just a lousy idea.

Wearing sneakers and beach rubber thongs is painful thought (to me) while cycling. There is no sole shoe stiffness to push the pedal around and around. For returning to cycling, start off with a running shoes that aren't too bulky at the sole. You'll want to feel the pedal.

After a few years, I got toe cages which hold my feet on pedal and prevents my feet from slipping off pedals when I want spin pedals faster or ride longer.

2. What is the best type of bike for older ones to use?

For returning to cycling, a bike that puts you in a slightly more upright position. However if you've always biked dropped down, more horizontal back on bike, then great. A hybrid bike of light weight frame is good. A heavy bike is abit of a curse when pulling yourself up a hill or going for long rides. Mountain bikes are ok but unless you are into riding off-road rocky/stony trails alot or cycling on snow/ice, what's the point? Usually they tend to be abit heavier, because the wheels are alot knobbier and heavier for dirt traction/grip.

You want your handlebars to be shoulder-width, your leg on ground while seated on bike, must have a slight bend at knee....in case you suddenly need to stop without falling on your face. I will try to find an article on bike fit.

3. Should we seek a pro to advise because of current lifestyles?

I strongly recommend dealing with bike shop personnel who don't treat you like an idiot just because you are a woman.

Do any of your children bike /live in same city? If yes,to both, it might help you...and they might welcome a different activity with mother that they had forgotten.