Hi, I'm Carol, and yes, I experienced a similar situation. At 86, my mother suffere with Parkinson's, and although that was about the time I insisted she stop driving--and took her keys--and then began coordinating her care on a much more intense level than before (but not as intense as it would become).

My mother fell several times before she would finally allow for more care. By 88, she had become afraid of falling, and at 89, she consented to move in with us.

It's a journey, and it all takes getting used to.

You will most likely have to continue stepping up your responsibilities and "Mothering Mother" (that's my book title, so there's a bit of a pun in my using it here).

I know I waited too long for some things--a few I regret--but I know that I loved her and respected her and didn't want her to just "give up."

You won't do everything right--so lay that one down.
But already, I read your words and know how much you care.
She's blessed to have you.

You'll grapple with each decision, but be good to yourself.
After years of caregiving--and writing all the along the way--I learned in retrospect to cut all of us (my mom, me, my kids, family...) some slack.

Hope something I've said helps.
~Carol
author of...(you guessed it:)) Mothering Mother: A Daughter's Humorous and Heartbreaking Memoir.
www.mothering-mother.com
Hello~I'm Carol D. O'Dell, author of Mothering Mother: A Daughter's Humorous and Heartbreaking Memoir. I write and speak and teach about caregiving, inspiration, creativity, spirituality, writing, marketing, and humor.