I personally knew 3 employees who are/were residents in Alaska for several decades and were associated with a branch office in Anchorage for a large international engineering firm. Actually the woman and her hubby have sold their home and are now living in SEattle. Another couple have also sold their home in Alaska after being there for over 30 yeears(they had problems selling their lovely home up there) and bought a home in a suburb outside of Vancouver, not far from the U.S.-Canada border. They will retire soon there. Their children are grown up.

The woman told me that many young people want to LEAVE Alaska since they do consider job opportunities elsewhere, plus other things that cities south offer.

If you are interested in working in the trades, engineering, such skills are desired in certain parts of U.S. right now. Ever though of AUTOCAD engineering design with software?

soome of the boom towns where there is bigtime mining, oil and energy related industries goin' on, do have a high proportion of men. But there's also alot of drinkin' going on in those towns. Fort McMurray in northern Alberta is experiencing serious growth problems since it's flooded with tar sands workers up there. Many men and yes, stories of women propositioned. However there are also men who are MARRIED and away from their families and girlfriends living in other parts of Canada. So go figure, how to deal with a pile of horny men, who just want a roll in the hay...

I'm sorry to be so raw here, but I've worked in several organizations dominated by men, where women form 20% of the workforce and less than 10% of those women are in professional positions/well-educated. A workplace is an ideal (perhaps safer) place to meet guys, but having lots of guys around doesn't increase chances of romance. It didn't for me, despite the fact there were several decent men around my age. The click just didn't occur.

I met my partner at an evening computer course.

It's great that you are thinking of possibly a different part of the U.S. Cost of living is a serious consideration.

And think of the sorts of activities/passions you love to do/try when living in an area. From that, if guys also engage in the same happy activities, perhaps you will meet one.

Do you jog? Consider joining a regularily running co-ed group or a reasonable fitness centre. That's how 2 of my sisters met their now hubbies. Even if you don't meet any love of your life, you will still be pursuing your passion/hobbies.

In the end, you must love the place where you relocate to. This must be priority over potential men, etc. ...to make this major life decision happy and worthwhile for you...because it maybe a place where you may live for many years.