The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 103 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/16/20 10:33 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#117873 - 05/17/07 09:17 AM Re: Celebrating Father's Day Without Him [Re: Sadie]
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I'm thinking that days like Father's day make it feel worse and that's why I was trying to think of things to help make it feel better. This will be my first Fathers day without my Dad.

#117874 - 05/17/07 09:26 AM Re: Celebrating Father's Day Without Him [Re: TVC15]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
You are so right Robin, when they're gone, it is worst on THAT day. To me, anyway.

I spoke with a woman yesterday who just lost her husband of 57 years a couple of months ago. He was my Daddy's best friend. Her fresh grief brought back my own but of course, a different kind. I know that Father's Day for her this month will hit home and be sad for her; even though it was her hubby.

I have found that if I try to find some quiet time during that day and reflect on my sweet memories and let whatever emotion that shows up, have its way, I feel stronger.

I don't try to hold back or interrupt the flow of what I feel during that time. I just let it be. This helps me cope.

#117875 - 05/18/07 12:36 PM Re: Celebrating Father's Day Without Him [Re: jawjaw]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Anne, I like your thoughts about them hanging with us. So true.

I know God will give me strength, but the thought of losing Dad is miserable. He is so great at keeping all of us together as a family.

My heart goes out to you gals who have already lost your dads. TVC, I'll be praying for you. I recall when you traveled to be with him. Try to draw on the good memories.

#117876 - 05/19/07 10:47 AM Re: Celebrating Father's Day Without Him
TVC15 Offline

It's been over 10 months now and I agree JJ, it's usually better to let the emothions have their way. It's funny, but I do feel he's still with me. Silly things, like today I went to my new totally tomato site and I had a comment left by a reader, my first, and the commenter shared my Dad's name! (different spelling but it did get to me!)

You're right Dotsie, it's best to think of the good times. It's difficult right now because last year, this time, I was there caring for him. I just need to get through a couple more months and then I think I might be better able to heal.

#117877 - 05/19/07 11:59 AM Re: Celebrating Father's Day Without Him [Re: TVC15]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Quote:

It's difficult right now because last year, this time, I was there caring for him. I just need to get through a couple more months and then I think I might be better able to heal.

Oh those are some of the most difficult moments to get through, thinking back to those times when our loved one was still alive..."this time last week we were doing this together" "this time a month ago he was able to do this" "this time last year he wasn't even sick". Those back-thoughts are unbearable for that first year or so.

It keeps hitting me in the oddest places and thoughts - yesterday I had to mail a parcel at the post office in the card shop. On my way out, I noticed a beautiful 2008 calendar and immediately thought, "Oh I have to tell Gary that that's the one I'd like for next Christmas" - Gary has been the calendar provider for everyone in the family for over 10 years now and used to spend a great deal of time and money getting just the right one for each person...he used to buy me two, a pretty one for the kitchen and a weird one for the bathroom. Did it ever hit hard that he'd never buy any of us a calendar again! I couldn't hold back the tears.

But instead of wallowing in the grief of that realization, I've decided that I'm going to go back to buy that calendar (using money that we received from Gary's estate) and wrap it up for myself for next Christmas, in memory of Gary...I just know that he would like me to do that in his name.

(Maya Angelou)

#117878 - 05/19/07 01:05 PM Re: Celebrating Father's Day Without Him [Re: Eagle Heart]
chickadee Offline

I am always reading this post girls. I just wanted to say that I have you in my prayers.

#117880 - 05/19/07 05:07 PM Re: Celebrating Father's Day Without Him [Re: ]
TVC15 Offline

Eagle,
I know exactly what you are talking about. It hits at the oddest moments, when you are least expecting it, right?
I think you should buy that calendar. Yes, you will cry when you open it, but that's okay. Trust me Christmas is going to be rough anyway. My dad loved deers, watching them, hunting them - anyway, at christmas I bought a lighted standing buck decoration for my dad and put it in my front yard. It brought me comfort looking at it. And it just felt weird to not buy something for him...;)

Thanks Chick!

And Anne, there are so many things I wish I could ask him. I know how you feel!

#117881 - 05/20/07 06:21 PM Re: Celebrating Father's Day Without Him [Re: TVC15]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Eagle, great idea. Go for it!

I recall the first Mother's Day after Mom died. I was in a card store at the mall and realized I no longer had Mom to buy a card for. My nose burned, my eyes filled up, and I immediately left the store feeling like an orphan. IT gets easier.

#117882 - 05/23/07 04:08 PM Re: Celebrating Father's Day Without Him [Re: TVC15]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Today is the 3rd anniversary of my Daddy's death. He was 79 when he died of complications from Lewy-Body Dementia. I miss him terribly, and know in my heart he would be so proud of me. He would say, "Jaw jaw, you are a legend in your OWN mind." Followed closely by a hug, of course.

I honor him by honoring others, and always trying to do the right thing. I fail sometimes, but I try.

These thoughts and many others crowd my heart today while I think back and celebrate his life. He was truly my best friend, and my beloved humorist.

Daddy, I love you!

#117883 - 05/23/07 04:29 PM Re: Celebrating Father's Day Without Him [Re: jawjaw]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Oh JJ, my heart is with you today...I have NO DOUBT that your Daddy is very proud of you and of how much you help others in your day-to-day life. I don't know when you "fail sometimes" but I heartily believe that, for me personally, those perceived failures almost always lead to greater wisdom and therefore more light to radiate into others' lives. Your light shines bright - you sparkle up our lives here, and you've touched MY life in more ways than you'll ever know. So I KNOW that your Daddy is very proud and honoured by your life.

Today is Sacred Ground...

(Maya Angelou)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved