The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 263 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/16/20 10:33 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#112920 - 04/01/07 01:56 AM Re: Depression -seems a lot of us suffer and deal w/it [Re: orchid]
NewLeaf Offline

Loc: Deland, Florida
I'm not tempted by sweets at all. They sort of make me ill. But put my fanny down in front of a big bowl of tortilla chips and dip at a Mexican reataurant and I can eat my way through! Love those things.

#112921 - 04/01/07 04:25 PM Re: Depression -seems a lot of us suffer and deal w/it [Re: NewLeaf]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I just thought I might add to this... the lack of exercise. Exercise is critical for me to feel well.

However, I was once clinically depressed after a car accident. I was prescribed an anti-depressant which I took for about a year. It worked within several days of my first dose. But, prior to the diagnosis, exercise still wouldn't have helped at that time. I didn't even have any energy to take a walk.

I think there's a difference between clinical depression and depression. I believe diet and exercise can certainly help those who are depressed, but once you are clinically depressed, you need medication and there is nothing wrong with that. That's what it's there for.

Until I was clinically depressed, I'm embarrassed to say that I was one of those people that thought depressed people should snap out of it too. I think the Lord knew I needed to learn a lesson. I learned the hard way. Now I know better! My heart aches for poeple who wlak thorugh life depressed. It's no fun. I've been there and done that. Should I ever get down again, I'm running right to the doctor to get some Serzone. That's the drug that worked for me.

#112922 - 04/02/07 02:35 AM Post deleted by Dotsie
Dotsie Offline
Founder

#112923 - 04/02/07 11:29 AM Re: Depression -seems a lot of us suffer and deal w/it
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I think it depends on the situation. Depression is a chemical imbalance. Sometimes you need the drugs to bring things back into balance.

#112924 - 04/02/07 04:31 PM Re: Depression -seems a lot of us suffer and deal
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I suffer from clinical depression too. Along with Bipolar, social anxiety disorder and generalized anxiety disorder. I've done all the right things. I've changed my diet. Started exercising. Removed as much stress as possible from my life. Begun fulfilling my life's ambitions.

And, I still need medication.

That's okay with me. I know that sometimes a chemical imbalance means you're lacking certain pieces of the puzzle. Meds complete the puzzle. For me. I'll be on meds for the rest of my life. I'm not going to "get better" all of a sudden and become med free. I have a thyroid disorder and fibromyalgia, along with other diseases that all contribute to my depression. These diseases are not going to disappear.

I find it disheartening when people think that all we have to do is "get over it" and we'll be fine. I know that's not the thinking here. Dotsie, I'm so sorry you had to suffer a bout of depression, but to open your eyes and mind like that.. what a change for you. I wouldn't wish depression on anyone.

I've been very open about my illness here on BWS, because I feel there is a lot of support. I appreciate that. I am not so open on other boards I frequent. Even with people who are in my real life, I am not as open. It's a matter of trust and tolerance. I've found both here at BWS. Thank you.
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog

#112925 - 04/04/07 12:46 AM Re: Depression -seems a lot of us suffer and deal [Re: Vicki M. Taylor]
NewLeaf Offline

Loc: Deland, Florida
You know, something has bothered me for a long time now. Maybe you can explain it to me. One of my daughter's friend's mother suffers from debilitating depression. She just wants to die.

Her husband and six year old son sleep in the same bed with her every night but she doesn't clean house, doesn't cook, doesn't get her son off to school.

She's seen doctors and takes medication and has had her medication changed numerous times but nothing works.

What about shock treatments? Is there anything? And, what will happen to her, will she just languish and die? Is there any hope for her?

What would cause someone's seretonin to drop that drastically and not be able to build it back up, even with serotonin reuptake inhibitors...I don't get it. Any ideas?

#112926 - 04/04/07 09:07 AM Re: Depression -seems a lot of us suffer and deal [Re: NewLeaf]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Shock Treatment, do they still do that?

My grandmother had shock treatments 30 or 40 years ago and it really altered her life and ability to manage her life. I guess it is not something that I would persue unless there was absolutely no alternative.

It might be more than seretonin that is at issue. What kinds of doctors is she seeing? General practitioners are probably not equipped to handle this. Also, therapy should most likely be combined with any medications she takes.

#112927 - 04/04/07 01:49 PM Re: Depression -seems a lot of us suffer and deal [Re: Anno]
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
They still do "shock" treatments. I think they're called ECT. From what I hear they've had some success with them.

http://www.healthyplace.com/Communities/Depression/treatment/ect/explanation.asp
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved