Interfaith marriages, intercultural, interracial..

Posted by: orchid

Interfaith marriages, intercultural, interracial.. - 05/31/09 10:10 PM

Article focuses more on interfaith marriages, pros and cons. Interfaith of course, can cross into intercultural /interracial aspects dependin on who is in the union/marriage.

http://communities.canada.com/vancouvers...ermarriage.aspx

I've always wondered about marriages where only 1 partner is a believer for a particular religion but the partner is aetheist or agnostic.

ie. I heard via friend whose friend is a minister but her hubby is agnostic. They have 2 children, theirs.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Interfaith marriages, intercultural, interracial.. - 06/01/09 12:48 AM

I am a Christian and my ex was a atheisist, big time. I simply ignored his stupid comments regarding religion. Telling him when he had one come and see me then and we'd talk. This like any other difference in a marriage is what you make of it, don't you think?
Posted by: orchid

Re: Interfaith marriages, intercultural, interracial.. - 06/02/09 07:45 PM

I'm only musing aloud since I'm not in this type of situation at all. But it does strike me almost as abit sad that if one partner is a practicing Christian/Muslim/Jew and the other is not, then it would feel like a bit of a big gap in the marriage/relationship?

Since there are several BWS members who are long-term Christians, then is it logical to assume that usually your hubby/partner is a believer too or is chatty's past marriage with a non-believing hubby, is a more frequent these days?

How can I best explain myself..hmm. For instance I could never be in a loving relationship with a guy if:

1) he was racist
2) he simply had no clue, "feel" for immigrant/cross-cultural/bilingual/multilingual complex experiences/empathy

So really if guy didn't meet 1 & 2, he really is not part of my intimate life. Have I immediately rejected such guys? Yes, often I can sense it..within a few minutes of meeting such men. With others, no..it might take a few hrs.

No point trying to reform a person for beliefs.