Penwomanship writing opportunity

Posted by: Dian

Penwomanship writing opportunity - 10/26/04 04:23 AM

New Women Writers' Magazine
Atlanta, GA - Oct. 13 - Attention women writers!!Do you have short stories or poetry looking for a place to be published? Doyou have something to say or to share in a personal essay but can't find aplace to share it?

April 2005 is the launch date for "Penwomanship," a magazine for the creativewoman writer.

"In searching for places to publish my own writing, I realized the selectionwas very limited," says Penny White, publisher of the new monthly periodical. "While there are many magazines which publish fiction and poetry, there arevery few which publish strictly women's writing. I decided it was time to dosomething about it.

"The magazine will contain 48 pages of women's writing and artwork. Although seeking original submissions for the magazine, White likes to thinkof it as a type of "Reader's Digest for women's writing." I hope women will be motivated and inspired to write about their personalexperiences," says White. "All submissions we receive will be considered forpublication.

"But what's with the name of the magazine?White smiles. "There is an interesting story behind that. And that story canbe found on the website."

The website, Penwomanship , currently contains some of White's ownwriting until she receives submissions from other women writers to put on thesite.

Submissions can be made via submissions@penwomanship.com in the body of the e-mail only. Attachments will be deleted unopened.

Submissions may also besnail-mailed to Penwomanship, P.O. Box 235, Pine Lake, GA 30072-0235.

For more details, please read the submissions guidelines on the website. Pay iscurrently five contributors' copies until the magazine is able to paycontributing writers.

White hopes to accomplish this within the next two years. Subscriptions are also available via the website at introductory rates. A printable subscription form is also available on the website.For more information contact Ms. White at penny@penwomanship.com.
Posted by: Queen Me

Re: Penwomanship writing opportunity - 10/26/04 04:52 AM

thanks for sharing. i primarily write essays. so, i'll definitely work something up and submit!
Posted by: TVC15

Re: Penwomanship writing opportunity - 10/26/04 04:09 PM

Thanks for sharing Dian!
Posted by: Songbird

Re: Penwomanship writing opportunity - 10/26/04 09:02 PM

Another door that swings open [Smile] ! Thank God from whom all blessings flow... [Wink] And thanks for sharing, Dian.
Posted by: Louisa

Re: Penwomanship writing opportunity - 10/27/04 04:07 AM

Sounds terrific. Thanks! [Smile]

Re: Penwomanship writing opportunity - 10/29/04 10:58 PM

Dian,
I wanted to thank you again. I just heard from the publisher and she has accepted one of my essays. It is going to appear at her website starting this weekend and then it will be printed in the first issue of her magazine. I'm so excited!
Robin
Posted by: Queen Me

Re: Penwomanship writing opportunity - 10/30/04 06:43 AM

Okay, motivation for getting back to the drawing board. I completely forgot about this [Embarrassed]

Re: Penwomanship writing opportunity - 10/30/04 03:38 PM

My story is posted already!

WWW.Penwomanship.com

Click on Stories and it's the first one there.
If you click on Personal Essays, you will find that the second story posted there is by someone very familiar to us also!
Robin
Posted by: DonnaJ

Re: Penwomanship writing opportunity - 10/30/04 05:59 PM

Robin, what a touching story. True? Fiction? Very good! Whichever - loved it.

Donna
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Penwomanship writing opportunity - 10/31/04 07:17 AM

Robin,
I was right there in the car with you and had the nicest visual of your grannie's cross. This was a very moving (no pun intended) story and I felt your saddness as well. Isn't it funny how you were called back there mentally right after you kissied the cross? It is almost like your grannie was looking out for you...reminding you in the form of an analogy (jewels), to go back, take what you need, and leave the rest. Which is just what you did. I just loved the story. Thanks for sharing it. Well written!

JJ

Re: Penwomanship writing opportunity - 10/31/04 07:49 AM

Great story, Robin. JJ is right - you pulled us right into that car, into the house and out onto the porch. Well done!

PS: Did anyone see JJ's hilarious story about mammograms?

First I cry at Robin's story, then I crack up at Jaw Jaw.

Di

Re: Penwomanship writing opportunity - 10/31/04 07:56 AM

Donna, it was true. I think she got mine and JJ's story in the reverse spots. Thanks for taking the time to read it.
Jawjaw
I loved your story also! Unfortunately, I too was right there with you! Very very funny stuff! [Smile]
Dian, again, Thanks!

[ October 30, 2004, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: TVC15 ]
Posted by: Kelly L. Adams Stone

Re: Penwomanship writing opportunity - 10/31/04 03:41 PM

Thank you for posting this! I really appreciate it when people pass on new writing opportunities!

Best,
Kelly
Posted by: Pam Kimmell

Re: Penwomanship writing opportunity - 11/02/04 07:51 PM

Woo hoo! Add me to the list of "material accepted by Penwomanship" writers. Penny will have my thriller short story "Cabin Fever" in the December online issue and repeat it again in the first print issue in April. She cut me some slack on the 5,000 word limit for short stories - "Cabin Fever" was 5,029 words....hahaha

ANYWAY - thanks Dian for posting the opportunity and congratulations to everyone who has been given a green light on their submissions! [Wink]

Re: Penwomanship writing opportunity - 11/03/04 08:21 AM

Cant wait to read Cabin Fever and congrats!
Looks like the boomer women are filling that magazine!

Re: Penwomanship writing opportunity - 11/03/04 12:00 AM

You go Pam! How bout that? I'm thinking Penny might need to change the name of the mag to "Boomer Women Writing!' hahahah..

Penny was kind enough to offer me the staff position as her monthly humor writer and I accepted.

Thanks Penny! When she has time, we need to get her in here too!

JJ
Posted by: smilinize

Re: Penwomanship writing opportunity - 11/03/04 12:05 AM

JJ you're soooo COOL!!!
smile

Re: Penwomanship writing opportunity - 11/03/04 01:10 AM

Jawjaw
That is so exciting. You deserve it! Im telling you, youre going to make everyone forget about Erma.
Go Georgia!

Re: Penwomanship writing opportunity - 11/03/04 02:40 AM

The Queen of Comedy RIDES AGAIN! Good for you JJ....you will be a wonderful addition to Penny's staff - and because this will eventually be a print magazine that means even more exposure for your wonderful work.

I'm very happy to say that in addition to "Cabin Fever", Penny has asked to use three of my other short stories in future print issues of the magazine...how cool is that?! [Eek!]
Posted by: Maggie

Re: Penwomanship writing opportunity - 11/03/04 03:33 AM

Congratulations to all you wonderful writers. Now can't wait till it comes out to read all of this.
Maggie
Posted by: Sher

Re: Penwomanship writing opportunity - 11/03/04 05:14 AM

Congratulations, Ladies! How cool for you guys.

I heard from her this evening. I will be in the December issue as the centerfold.

OK. Well maybe not the centerfold, but I'll be in there. Sophisticated People Almost Never Pee In Mayonnaise Jars is the article she's using. I'm tickled pink.

JJ, I was thinking of you as I was writing this evening. My Friends Call Me Annie is technically about me, but I could totally see you doing the same thing. Something about putting a weapon in your estrogen-deprived hand got me tickled.

So... the part where I am beside my victim... I was actually picturing you. Thanks for being my muse!
Posted by: Sherri

Re: Penwomanship writing opportunity - 11/03/04 07:01 AM

Yoo Hoo, me too, she is saving my essay about Mother's day in her May issued. I am excited, and congratulations to all of you!

Sherri
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Penwomanship writing opportunity - 11/03/04 12:02 PM

you gals make me feel guilty. I'm gonna have to submit a thing or two

maybe next week?

Re: Penwomanship writing opportunity - 11/03/04 02:37 PM

OMG Sher! That article was hysterical! I loved it! And you are right, it DOES sound like me, especially the end (no pun intended).

Just what I needed. Someone who writes well and is funny. oy!
[Roll Eyes]
JJ

Re: Penwomanship writing opportunity - 11/03/04 03:12 PM

Maybe you should grab yourself two quarters out of the sofa cushion JJ and go slay something of your very own. It's quite therapeutic!

Personally I think menopausal women everywhere should take up this activity. [Wink]

Re: Penwomanship writing opportunity - 11/03/04 04:35 PM

I bow to the Queen!! I am so happy that you are going to do the Humor Column!! You're da bomb!

Sherri
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Penwomanship writing opportunity - 11/03/04 06:09 PM

I am so grateful that all of you learned about this opportunity right here on BWS. It's working! And I couldn't be happier. Thanks for sharing writing opportunites. It is truly in giving that we recieve. Some women may have hogged the opportunity for themselves, but not BWS women. You go girls! [Wink]

Congratulations around the room. [Big Grin]

Sher, you had me going with that story. It's perfect!

Re: Penwomanship writing opportunity - 11/03/04 06:31 PM

Sher,
Loved both of them,
you have a great sense of humor and timing.
And aim!
Robin

Re: Penwomanship writing opportunity - 11/04/04 08:15 AM

Thank you Dotsie and Robin. You're too kind.

Re: Penwomanship writing opportunity - 11/04/04 08:53 AM

Sher, funny! I just read it. I wasn't sure what to expect with that title. [Smile]

Thanks for sharing the link!

Re: Penwomanship writing opportunity - 11/03/04 09:23 PM

Great work Sher! I loved it......! [Wink]

Re: Penwomanship writing opportunity - 11/03/04 09:30 PM

Pam, I meant to tell you congratulations for having your stories published. That's wonderful!

Congratulations!

Donna

Re: Penwomanship writing opportunity - 11/03/04 09:45 PM

Sherri, Congrats to you too!
Boomer Women Rock!

Re: Penwomanship writing opportunity - 11/03/04 10:18 PM

Hi, everyone! I just got an email from the editor. She's running my piece about Thanksgiving this month! Dian, thanks for the link! I'm excited to be joining all my fellow Boomers!

Donna

Re: Penwomanship writing opportunity - 11/04/04 12:09 AM

Congrats Donna,
Isnt this exciting! Its like were starting our own magazine!

Re: Penwomanship writing opportunity - 11/04/04 05:02 AM

This Boomer site is wonderful, the links the closeness of the girls here, I am very blessed to have found this site. I love you all.

Sherri

Re: Penwomanship writing opportunity - 11/05/04 08:57 AM

Sherri,
I also feel blessed to have found this site. just like you said, I love it here and everyone that is involved with it. It has everything I need to live. Comfort, Encouragement, laughter and tears, Friends that are becoming a new extended family.
All we need in here are some beds and food!
Well, we almost have food, with all the great recies!

Re: Penwomanship writing opportunity - 11/07/04 11:07 PM

Here's the link to my humorous article. I'm so excited the editor thought it funny!

http://www.penwomanship.com/personalessays.html

Donna

Re: Penwomanship writing opportunity - 11/08/04 12:00 AM

Donna I loved your article....I could sure "identify" with a lot of it! Perfect timing for a Thanksgiving essay too. I like the material Penny is selecting to put in the magazine - oh and I'm NOT just saying that because she's going to print some of my short stories either - I really MEAN it! GOOD stuff...

CONGRATS to everyone who's penned something for Penwomanship....! [Wink]

Re: Penwomanship writing opportunity - 11/08/04 08:41 AM

Pam, thanks for checking it out. Glad you liked it! I like the stuff she's using, too! LOL! Did you read "Nylon: Timelines of Twentieth Century Lingerie" on the same page as mine? I thought it was very clever.

Donna
http://www.penwomanship.com/personalessays.html

Re: Penwomanship writing opportunity - 11/15/04 08:33 AM

GUESS WHAT!!!!!!
I am the newest columnist for Penwomanship - my column is Women Write Right, a column for tips on better writing and getting published. AND, she is publishing my short, short essay "What Color Am I? A Riddle" in both the print and online versions. I've subscribed to the print version. On a whim yesterday I sent her three column ideas and my short essay. I was scratching my head because I was the one who found her site, and I hadn't sent anything in? Duh? Never dreamed of such an opportunity.

Re: Penwomanship writing opportunity - 11/15/04 08:45 AM

Dian! WONDERFUL NEWS!!!! Congratulations Madame Columnist! [Wink] [Wink]

Re: Penwomanship writing opportunity - 11/14/04 09:18 PM

Dian---Welcome onboard! What a smart decision on Penny's part! yahooooo....

JJ