Entertaining boomers

Posted by: smilinize

Entertaining boomers - 06/24/06 12:42 AM

I need to rant.

A group of ladies just left my house. We had a meeting with a light lunch. I served quiche and salad with brownies and fruit for desert. We had caffeine free iced tea and coffee. I hoped the food would include something for everyone and I could avoid any whining. Wrong.

A lady said she didn't like quiche, but ate two slices. Another ate it, but swore the eggs were clogging her arties. One said the sugar in brownies was bad for the diabetes she doesn't have, but runs in her family. She also refused fruit, but wound up asking for a "bite" of someone else's brownie. Another woman wanted a special dressing for the salad. One carried her own fake salt. One didn't drink tea. Another didn't do caffeine (I headed her off with the caffeine free tea--been there) One wanted artificial sweetner (Headed her off too) and another swore it was poison. One brought her own bottled water. Another brought her own Starbucks coffee because it is the only kind she drinks.

These are women in their forties and fifties.

I gotta' tell ya' entertaining boomers ain't easy. I am coming to the point where I entertain rarely and enjoy it less.

Everyone talks obsessively about their illnesses, special diets, food intolerances, diseases, sure fire ways to health, and on and on. It's boring.

I remember when I was younger and people talked about philosphy, jobs, families, careers, men. What happened?

smile

[ June 23, 2006, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]
Posted by: Bluebird

Re: Entertaining boomers - 06/24/06 12:55 AM

Many people have just lost their manners!! In a world that tells everyone to look out for themselves and to speak their minds, we have lost that sense of being hospitable and knowing how to receive it.
And I for one, can thing of a zillion things to talk about that are way more interesting than the way my body does and does not work!!
Invite ME next time, smile. I will need some good directions to outer space, though. [Razz]

[ June 23, 2006, 06:20 PM: Message edited by: Bluebird ]
Posted by: Di

Re: Entertaining boomers - 06/24/06 01:26 AM

DH and I have just been talking about aging and how we handle it.

IT's EASY to complain all the time...we just know too much nowadays. He and I are both crankiest at night. Thankfully I have a separate shop to go into...well, so does he but he does not have a/c yet!!

And right smilinize, subject matters HAVE changed. But hey, I just had an idea. Next time you get together, have a drawing from a bowl. Each slip of paper will have a unique subject matter written on it. After discussing THAT subject only for 10 minutes or however long you wish,the next person chooses another piece of paper. It just MIGHT be fun!!

Rule is: conversations must ONLY stick to the subject drawn!!
Posted by: bamgibbs

Re: Entertaining boomers - 06/24/06 01:43 AM

Smilinize,

What until we get in our 60s and 70s. I HEAR it's even WORSE!!!

But you know what, I've made it a point at this stage of my life to associate myself with POSITIVE SPIRITS. Negativity is contagious but so is positive energy. Life is way too short at this point to waste unnecessary time or energy on people who can't see the good in life. Sure, there's alot of MESS in the world but I believe when you're lined up with the universe, all things work together for good!

Peace & Blessings,
Beverly Mahone
Author, WHATEVER! A Baby Boomer's Journey Into Middle Age
www.talk2bev.com

Re: Entertaining boomers - 06/24/06 01:47 AM

The last time I posted about this I swore I was Never going to allow anyone else in my house who insisted on discussing their body parts. Obvioulsy I fell off the wagon.

I think it is RUDE to insult someone's hospitality. And I am so sick of hearing about people's diabetes, their abs, their kidney stones, their surgeries, their diet, their psychiatrist, what kind of water they drink, their latest exercise plan.

I tell ya' it's making me SICK.

Bluebird, it's an easy trip. I'll send directions.

smile

[ June 23, 2006, 06:51 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]
Posted by: Bluebird

Re: Entertaining boomers - 06/24/06 01:50 AM

It IS rude!!
Do you see the common thread of talking about their bodies, their psychiatrists, their diet...?
People like to talk about themselves...very boring.

Re: Entertaining boomers - 06/24/06 01:55 AM

Usually I don't mind hearing about people's problems or triumphs. I think I'm pretty tolerant of both whining and bragging. It just gets boring to me when there is nothing they are passionate about ouside themselves. I am afraid I will pick it up also.

Oh well, enough ranting for one day. I'm busy cleaning up the mess now and I'm forgetting the whole thing. It's always something.....

smile

[ June 23, 2006, 07:17 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]
Posted by: Eagle Heart

Re: Entertaining boomers - 06/24/06 04:45 AM

Oh Smile, I'm so relating to your "rant". Whenever we have people over for supper, and it's all too often - and it's all family - it's the same story. We work very hard to provide a good, positive atmosphere and a good variety of nutritional, tasty food to suit everyone's palate (and there's a WIDE variety of tastebuds to suit!), but it's NEVER good enough. Never a meal goes by without complaints about it being too this, too that, too much, too little, too sweet, too salty, too boring, too exotic...I get so fed up, I honestly don't see what the point is in trying anymore.

I'm so tempted from now on to just fill the table with all the makings for sandwiches and tell everyone to make their own.

I was brought up to eat whatever was served and to be graciously appreciative of the hospitality...I think/hope I'm still that way. But I'm astounded by how houseguests think they have the right (obligation?) to tell me everything that's wrong with our house/food/hospitality/colour scheme/my hair/my clothes/my personality...enough.

Ok, I'll stop my rant now. Sorry to hijack your rant by ranting [Eek!] somehow I don't think you'll mind...I sure wish we could have lunch together.

Re: Entertaining boomers - 06/24/06 04:53 AM

Eagle,

I would love to have lunch with you also. We would probably be talking so much, we wouldn't even know what we ate.

smile
Posted by: heavenbound

Re: Entertaining boomers - 06/25/06 12:23 AM

Smile, I appreciate where you are coming from and I have to tell you, from someone who is very health conscious, your friends WERE rude! If I am invited to someones home for a meal, I will eat it, I have no problem indulging occasionally. I would NEVER accept an invitation and then complain. It sounds like you went out of your way for them.

My friends are used to me, we joke about it, and we love each other. My family just makes sure I am not the one who bakes dessert because they fear what might be in it!

Besides, like you all said, it is the sharing of time and lives that is important. Do you have any leftovers?
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Entertaining boomers - 06/25/06 03:08 AM

For those of us already past 50, waaaaay past I have to disagree, we are no different than any other age. I personally think any women that can't find something better to discuss than their hemmoroids, corns, diseases, periods, etc. should just get a life, too BORING!!!! We old bats get together and they have to ask us to tone it down we're laughing so hard.

Next time you have people in and serve food try this; Make a sign over the table...

HOUSE RULES

1.)Eat at your own risk, NO grumbling or bitching about any negative effects of foods being served.

2.) This is a happy place leave all compaining and whining outside, preferably in trash container at the end of the driveway.

3.) Food and beverages are freah and were not purchased on sale, so shut up and enjoy.

4.) Bathrooms on your left, kitchen and ice on your right, door to 'exit' straight ahead for anyone breaking these rules....Bon-appetite!

THis is a true list I have used and the people have a good laugh, but anytime someone starts to say something negative, I cough and point to the list...Hey, don't like it, don't let the door hit you in the a-s..... [Big Grin] [Wink] [Razz]

[ June 24, 2006, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]
Posted by: Pam R.

Re: Entertaining boomers - 06/25/06 03:25 AM

Smile, they were RUDE, RUDE AND MORE RUDE. I have to admit my friends have never commented negatively on what I serve. Maybe it's because we know each other so well that we unconsciously make what everyone likes! Still, they would never hurt my feeling, nor would I hurt theirs. I know what it takes to make quiches and prepare a salad and dessert. You were very thoughtful with the caffeine free tea and fruit. And, I bet the table was set to perfection. I think you covered all bases. As far as the discussion of their illnesses, that usually comes with the 70 and 80 year olds according to my Mom! Are these your good friends, or just gals from a club you belong to? Next time invite the boomers on this website. We can sign up...first come first served!
Posted by: Wisdom&Life

Re: Entertaining boomers - 06/25/06 07:43 AM

I am sorry Smile. Man, I wish I had been one of the guests, your lunch sounds delicious. I am constantly shocked when I hear stories like yours. Or witness this type of situation.

The only understandable thing would be the diabetic bringing their sweet-n-low just in case none was available.

On the other hand, I love to eat and I cannot imagine being a kranky b***h when it comes to food.

Cheers,
Cathi

Re: Entertaining boomers - 06/25/06 09:05 AM

Acutally believe it or not, the women were a group of writers from my church. Yep. Writers and they go to Church.

Not all are rude. In fact, most are very nice and the girl who started the group is a good friend. Several seemed embarrassed by those who were rude. The leader of the rudeness is a long time church member who disrupts every meeting by talking incessantly about her ailments, her superior intellect, her superior writing (never published), her husband's ailments (Even his impotence believe it or not) and repeatedly about when she tried out for Miss something or other at the age of eighteen. I think she's probably insecure, but she brings out the worst in a couple of others and they all compete at being high maintenance or something. They turn the meetings into a free for all.

I really felt sorry for the girl who was trying to present the program. She never even got started before the really rude lady disrupted with a big bathroom announcement followed by a long description of her bladder problem and a complaint about the tea then she yelled at my dog. That got a couple of others started and everything went down hill from there.

Sorry for the rant. Sometimes it's all you can do.

smile

P.S. None of the women are diabetic. The really rude lady who refused a brownie has a relative who is diabetic and is convinced she will be one or something, but refused the fruit and wound up eating part of another girl's brownie.

I should write a book about this group, either a comedy or if they come here again, a murder mystery. [Smile]

[ June 25, 2006, 02:13 AM: Message edited by: smilinize ]
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Entertaining boomers - 06/25/06 06:06 PM

Put a little "lax" in the next set of brownies for them...that should keep them hopping...eh?

If that's enough, tell them, once they all get seated, that you would appreciate it if they only talk in low friendly tones because your pet snake, Mr. Big, seems to be missing and he doesn't like negative, loud talking. Talk about clearing a room!

JJ
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Entertaining boomers - 06/26/06 05:09 AM

smile, I know it's not funny, but I can't help but laugh at all the shenanigans. Unbelievable!
It really is the makings for a funny article about boomers beginning to fail (though most hate to admit it).

Did she ever get to present the program?

Re: Entertaining boomers - 06/26/06 05:46 AM

Dotsie,
Actually as I wrote that all down, I began to see the comedy in it all too. It really was funny (in hindsight that is).

The presenter did her best, but things just sort of went off the deep end as they almost always do in that group. You're right, it would make a funny story.

smile
Posted by: JaMaPh

Re: Entertaining boomers - 07/26/06 02:58 AM

gosh Smile, let me come to your house! I'll eat and enjoy it so much! I don't think I would have been so polite. I would have taken her aside, or someone should, and tell her, 'we really don't want to hear about your problems anymore. Please, since you can't keep them to yourself, why not write a book about it?' OR....'today we are reviewing the good things in life, so we'll need to keep all negatives out of the conversation'. However, I'm not sure I would even be that polite. I would ask her to please not be negative anymore. we really don't want to hear it. but yer right. you could write a book on it...a funny book like barbara johnson. Has anyone read any of her books? They are hilarious!

Janine
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Entertaining boomers - 07/26/06 05:15 AM

I'm a fussy eater, but I'd never use it as an excuse to be rude. I ask about certain ingredients, and if it's something I don't eat, I just say "thank you" and eat whatever else. And if the hostess wants to "make me something special" (that I'd eat, aside from what she already made) I always refuse and tell her that there's so many good things already, I can find plenty to enjoy!
Posted by: Dianne

Re: Entertaining boomers - 07/26/06 01:00 PM

I've heard this statement and maybe it's true: In our 50's we talk about all of our ailments and in our 60's, we talk about the medications we're taking for our ailments! I've begun to notice this when we're with couples around our age and I always repeat this theory and it makes everyone stop and laugh. Key word being, stop!

Excuse me, SHE YELLED AT YOUR DOG? That would be a deal breaker for me. My house, my dog, no yell.

Instead of laxatives in the brownies, how about baking them with some pot instead. What!!! I'm teasing. At least, it would make them happy, give them an appetite and they'd forget about their strict diets.