Now that portion looks too large

Posted by: orchid

Now that portion looks too large - 05/11/09 12:20 AM

In the middle of my bike ride today (52 kms.), I stopped at a cafe for muffin and coffee. Last time I've done this route and visited this cafe was 8 months ago.

I was a little shocked by the muffin size. It was good but was it THAT large 8 months ago? When one has been eating smaller desserts (I have to kick this habit down even more) for many months, to revisit something from the past..just looks huge. blush
Posted by: Edelweiss3

Re: Now that portion looks too large - 05/11/09 02:23 PM

Ice cream balls in America look like watermelons compared to the itsy bitsy balls here. I thought it was a shame that the portions are so huge. I love just trying different flavours, but if I had done that while visiting my brother in Ma....I would have exploded. (come to think of it, what a beautiful way to go; ... 'yum yum yum. BANG!')
Posted by: Lola

Re: Now that portion looks too large - 05/11/09 05:09 PM

LOL, EW! When my nephews come over to visit, they laugh at the steak portion here as it is just the same size one would have in steak sandwiches over in the States. Steak is'nt a meal for them unless it's as big as a quarter plate.
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Now that portion looks too large - 05/11/09 05:35 PM

When I was overseas, I don't recall the portions being any smaller, but then again, if they were, I probably just ordered more of um.

What are ice cream balls?

Re: Now that portion looks too large - 05/11/09 06:54 PM

Aaah... I mean scoops...they call 'em balls here....I'm getting my languages mixed up.
I'm confused, no wait, maybe I'm not.

Where am I?
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Now that portion looks too large - 05/11/09 07:09 PM

Often lately, when Ross and I eat out, we split a dinner and it's enough. I feel like an old lady doing it, but why not?!

EW, we had an ice cream place in town that gave humungous scoops, then they began weighing and charging accordingly. It was such a rip off. Nothing like paying 7 bucks bucks for two single dip ice creams. Hello - I can get a gallon or more for that. They are now out of business.

orchid, I love muffins and they are huge here too. I recall when Mom was going through chemo, the only thing she craved were muffins, and they were so good.

Re: Now that portion looks too large - 05/11/09 07:43 PM

Hubby and I usually split our meals too. And I'm still stuffed after half a meal.
We were amazed how expensive ice-cream is in the States! Those stands were pretty empty too. In Germany you usually have to stand in line down the street to get a cone.

Re: Now that portion looks too large - 05/11/09 08:11 PM

Why sure! I should have guessed that one...duh? Sorry bout that Ew...

Don't you get a kick out of the fancy/smancy restaurants on TV that show these dishes that are served and they have what I call, "a child's portion" on the plate? Presentation is NOT everything when you're hungry! ha!
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Now that portion looks too large - 05/11/09 11:24 PM

Now you know how most celebrities stay pencil thin, they eat those so called gourmet (tin y) portions in those over priced restaurants and their frig at home is empty except for champagne.

Re: Now that portion looks too large - 05/12/09 01:02 PM

Oh how funny Chatty...I never thought of that! How true. Well, I don't like champagne, so that's out for me. But I do like a quarter-pounder with cheese...whattt?
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Now that portion looks too large - 05/12/09 11:03 PM

JJ you or I will never have to worry about being either bulemic or anorexic...LOL!!! Just fluffy!