Dear Foundhervoiceatlast:

Although I have no children, I was divorced in Colorado about 8 years ago, so I know some of the legalities you are presently experiencing. Emotionally, I’ve been there too, yet your emotion is more of a nurturing nature towards your children, to include their primary safety and livelihood.

Although you have an attorney who has most probably explained the process, I’m providing the below site that explains how the process can be a “success” for you from child support to financial support. No, I’m not referring you to another attorney, but hope that this information is helpful. Please review the child support calculator section under Articles, which is very detailed.

The Property section is very detailed too, and provides an example of what to expect.

http://www.codivorce.com/default.htm

MONEYWISE:

I would get a copy of all your taxes during the marriage – this will prove his income and the fact that you have been the primary caregiver for the children. Also, if you can obtain all the W-2s, 1099s, etc. throughout the marriage, this will be helpful. Provide this info to your attorney; he/she will know what to do with it.

Make a list of all bank accounts to include checking, savings, credit cards, etc. If you like, make a chart indicating whether joint or single. Obtain all the credit card statements; this will help prove who spends what and for whom.

Obtain all earning statements (both yours and his) from employment, these should help indicate where any other assets may be found (his retirement, investments, etc.).

Obtain a copy of both of your credit reports.

Provide this info to your attorney; he/she will know what to do with it.

EMPLOYMENT:

Ask your attorney if you really need to get a job, and if this benefit or hinder the situation.

You indicate that you are no longer qualified in your previous high tech career field. Perhaps you can search for work through a temp agency? That way you may have some flexibility through the divorce proceedings, some balance, and then perhaps you may find employment in your field that that has allowance for advancement and may assist with the education process.

This is a good reference regarding CO divorce laws, it also provides good case law:

http://www.colorado-family-law.com/

I hope some of this information helps!