Ruby, KLM, TVC and anyone else struggling through the Christmas season,
I find for myself that maintaining the energy and/or ability to hold on to that Christmas spirit is the hardest part. Something - a word, a message, a song, an experience, a white purse from eBay - comes along and strengthens my resolve to joyfully create my Christmas - and it's wonderful - and the cumulative effect is that an ongoing experience of those little things will be what (IMHO) gets us all through to the other side of Christmas.

But my reality is that the energy reserves are low, and when I hit that "empty", all "esprit" disappears with it. I realized that this morning. I just finished shopping and decorating my brother's apartment, and am thoroughly drained, so much so that I couldn't care if I ever saw another bulb or ball. But I know that those feelings are temporary and completely related/caused by my low energy (and I'm willing to bet from numerous past experiences over the last year that my WBC is also elevated this morning; we've been able to make a direct correlation between that sudden and drastic drop in energy and an elevated WBC - but no explanation for it yet).

Anyway, I wonder if that's something we have to keep in mind. Our grief, our sadness, whatever it is that we carry with us into these holidays, WILL affect our energy level, and our energy level (or lack thereof) WILL affect our spirit and ability to respond to the Christmas bustle and hustle.

Maybe one of the secrets for us is to really simplify that hustle and bustle for ourselves. Do everything we can to minimize the energy drain and just do the simplest and easiest that will surround us with the colour and twinkle of the season but not drain us in the process.

Me? I'm going to get hubby to help me decorate the living room next week. Normally I do it myself, because I like everything where I like it. But this year, I'm going to put less out and let him help more. And maybe I'll wait another week or two before putting up the tree. One thing, one day at a time.

(Maya Angelou)