In answer to Dotsie’s question… “Am I right in saying that you weren't a writer when this brainstorm took off?” Sorry, you are not right. I’ve been a writer since I could hold a pencil. Seriously. My first freelance articles were published in Cosmopolitan Magazine, Redbook, Ladies Home Journal, Shape, and others. I also wrote press releases, brochures, funding grants, and a ga-zillion other things in my career as a professional fundraiser. I was also the Playwright-in-Residence for three years at a small theatre in southern California where three of my full length plays were produced. So, I’ve been writing for a very long time. But God Allows U-Turns was my first book project.

In response to your experience, Dotsie, with the baby boomer women anthology…I can understand this, because compilation books are a very hard sell in both the CBA and ABA publishing communities. Unless you are a “Soup” book, chances are you won’t sell enough copies to make it a worthwhile venture for a publisher, at least this is what they tend to think.

What helped me with u-turns was my speaking platform. This is so vital these days when a publisher is considering a first-time author. Can you speak and what is your platform?

I would imagine now that the NABBW site has had its first year anniversary, you are in a stronger place to develop and pitch an anthology. Connect with me off the loop and let’s talk more about this, okay? I have some ideas…

Jane asked a question that gets asked a great deal in the industry and it’s really an easy answer when you give it some serious thought. Think about it…how long does a writer have that “first book” inside of them? Days, weeks, months, years, or decades? I would hazard to guess it is usually, and quite typically, in the category of years or decades.

You’ve had years and years to plot, plan, organize your thoughts, develop your characters and evolve the book. Then suddenly, once it’s published and you are asked to write another book that’s when the stress begins. Do you really have a gift for maintaining and growing a writing career…or did you have one book in your soul that had to come out and that’s it?

This is very common in the industry and it is why so very often a publisher will contract a new author for two books right off the bat. If the first book is a success, they have the author tied up for book number two and if that second book is good as well, then everyone wins. But if it isn’t good…if the author can’t write book #2, or needs a lot more time, or any number of challenges…then this could be a critical time for a career.

I can speak first hand about this. When my agent pitched my first novel to Bethany House (A Stitch in Time) they came back with an offer for two novels. I was ecstatic and scared…what would book #2 be about? I had worked on book #1 for a long time, at least in my mind, but I had no idea what I would write for a 2nd book. I looked at some of my older work-in-progress files and remembered an outline I had for a screenplay concept and used that as the storyline for novel #2. But my publisher had no idea if I could deliver. I had no idea if I could deliver. The book comes out next June and you’ll have to tell me what you think of it…did I deliver? (smile) It’s called: ONE LITTLE SECRET.

Okay ladies, time for me to sign off. I’ll most likely be offline all day tomorrow, and so should all of you! Enjoy the Thanksgiving holiday and let’s all count our blessings for living in America and having the amazing opportunities we all have.

May God bless and keep you and yours.

I’ll be back on Friday!