Da Queen wonders about how I handle rejections...and if I get them. Of course I get them, and like I said earlier, a rejection means I am working and submitting ideas and keeping at it!

But here is a prime example of a recent rejection I got...I pitched my Parents in Pain book to one publisher (my agent did the pitching) but they rejected it as it was presented and asked me to consider teaming up with a co-author who was a professional therapist or psychologist. They didn't want solely a "layman" writing it.

I submitted it to another publisher and they did NOT want a co-author who was a "doctor" or a professional, they liked the fact that I was a "layman" and approaching the topic as a parent. I got a contract to write that book and it is due in May of 2007 for a 2008 release.

You see what I mean? Had I curled up into a ball after the first rejection I never would have approached the second publisher.

We must use rejections as a way to learn and grow and try something different, or fine tune the pitch. Any number of positive things can come from rejection. It's all about attitude and committment.

As for when I write...I'm an early riser, sometimes working at 4 or 5 in the morning! The KEY to writing anything (for me) is to have a specific dated deadline. Either a REAL deadline (something specific established by a publisher and written in a contract) or my own self-imposed deadline. This is the only way I get things done.

I actually do close my email program when I am trying to get something written!

When I'm working on a book project, I also give myself a daily word count goal, I write until I reach the goal. Could be 1500 to 3000 words, depending on how soon I need to get something completed.

I don't write too many articles these days, mostly working on book manuscripts.

Here's another trick for me...I try to go somewhere away from home for 3-4 weeks at the start of a project and I spend the entire time getting the entire first draft of the book written. Of course, it will go through a ga-zillion drafts and revisions, but getting the first full draft on paper is a major priority.

I will be staying at a friends home in southern california for 3.5 weeks in January. Plan to get the first full draft of my next non-fiction project completed at that time. The ms is due at the publisher on May 1, 2007 for a summer 2008 release.

Onward!